contesting grades and how it effects transfering Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mmribail

New

contesting grades and how it effects transfering

Post by mmribail » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:55 am

i am contesting three of my grades at my law school. how would this effect my transfer chances. lets say i get rejected at one school; would i have an opportunity to submit to the admissions council my new grades to be considered if my law school does in fact end up changing my grade?

pocket herc

Bronze

Re: contesting grades and how it effects transfering

Post by pocket herc » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 am

u are seriously contesting three grades? kinda curious, on what grounds?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:33 am

Wow, good luck w/ that. I've never heard of a prof. changing a grade except for a procedural error (like the test said A- and he wrote B to the recorder).

I'd imagine you'd have to send an addendum, and in holding up your app it might do more harm than good (unless 2 or more grades are changed or the changing of your grades would be the only thing putting you in remote range of getting into your desired schools).

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 am

You can totally submit the new grades! And law schools LOVE students that complain about grades. You'll be a shoe-in!!

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:26 am

I'd to submit until you have the decision. No matter what, contesting three grades is going to make you look like a troublemaker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:50 am

i go to tsu, which has a weird way of calculating grades. 50% professor grade and 50% is the comprehensive exam, which each section takes and all 239 students compete against each other. i scored high on my comps and was in the top ten in most of my classes before the comps; therefore, i want to see how exactly they calculated my grades. right now i am top 12% of my class. if JUST one grade changes then it will likely put me into the top 10% of the class.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 am

I've never heard of anyone successfully getting there grade changed after it is submitted. Most schools/professors are pretty firm on that. The only exception I've heard of is mathematical or entry errors (e.g. if your prof completely forgot to count the points from one of the questions on your exam or if he accidentally gave you a B when he meant to give you an A-).

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 am

mmribail wrote:i go to tsu, which has a weird way of calculating grades. 50% professor grade and 50% is the comprehensive exam, which each section takes and all 239 students compete against each other. i scored high on my comps and was in the top ten in most of my classes before the comps; therefore, i want to see how exactly they calculated my grades. right now i am top 12% of my class. if JUST one grade changes then it will likely put me into the top 10% of the class.
I still don't quite understand what this means. Is 50% of your grade some sort of subjective "participation" grade based upon classroom performance or something? Also, I'm still curious as to what grounds you're contesting your grades on other than just trying to shamelessly boost your class rank. I could understand if there was just one lousy professor that screwed up but contesting THREE grades seems like it would lead to mischief more than anything else. If transfer schools were made aware of this, I think it would quite possibly be an incredible turnoff and make you look hugely self entitled.
Last edited by 2009 Prospective on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I have to believe that appealing a grade doesn't make you look like a troublemaker in all instances. I had a mathematical error on one of my exams last term (prof forgot to add an entire essay to my final score), and simply sent an email to schools waiting on my transcript stating that I was appealing a grade - none of them seemed to bat an eye (at least I hope). I have to admit raising an eyebrow, however, when I saw that you were contesting three.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm

CMR wrote:I have to believe that appealing a grade doesn't make you look like a troublemaker in all instances. I had a mathematical error on one of my exams last term (prof forgot to add an entire essay to my final score), and simply sent an email to schools waiting on my transcript stating that I was appealing a grade - none of them seemed to bat an eye (at least I hope). I have to admit raising an eyebrow, however, when I saw that you were contesting three.
I don't think anyone said that appealing a grade makes one appear a "troublemaker in all instances." I think what was said that was appealing 3 grades makes one look self-entitled. And it does. The probability that 3 profs made errors in the way they graded a student is nil.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

MrKappus wrote:You can totally submit the new grades! And law schools LOVE students that complain about grades. You'll be a shoe-in!!
+1,000

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Shouldn't this be "and how it affects transferring"

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:43 pm

mmribail wrote:i go to tsu, which has a weird way of calculating grades. 50% professor grade and 50% is the comprehensive exam, which each section takes and all 239 students compete against each other. i scored high on my comps and was in the top ten in most of my classes before the comps; therefore, i want to see how exactly they calculated my grades. right now i am top 12% of my class. if JUST one grade changes then it will likely put me into the top 10% of the class.
Wait. Let me see if I get this.

Most law schools grade 100% based on the subjective assessment of the professor. Your school is only 50% subjective and you're complaining about that part?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
Wait. Let me see if I get this.

Most law schools grade 100% based on the subjective assessment of the professor. Your school is only 50% subjective and you're complaining about that part?
The best part is that 50% subjectivity is still enough that none of his grades could be overturned on a challenge unless the professor felt like humoring him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”