Transfer chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tysmiller

New

Transfer chances

Post by tysmiller » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Just another insecure poster curious of his chances (already applied, albeit recently).

3.91 of 4 at a school in the 30s. Ranks are still not out, but past data indicates this falls somewhere around the top 5-6%. Grade-on to the flagship law review (top 10%). 3.51 UG GPA at a top school and 165 LSAT. Not stellar, but I hear these numbers shouldn't matter too much anymore.

Applied to H, S, Columbia, Chicago, and NU. Don't have much hope for the first two, but I figured why not. Also, no WE for NU, but it is my UG alma mater, so again why not.

stinger35

Silver

Re: Transfer chances

Post by stinger35 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm

You'll be good to go. Chi and Stanford seem to be pretty stingy but the rest you have a good shot at, including H. Seriously.

AcesandEights

New

Post by AcesandEights » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

I'd bet money that you'll be getting a very nice call from Harvard soon.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

AcesandEights wrote:I'd bet money that you'll be getting a very nice call from Harvard soon.
really?! how do you figure? i hope so, i'm 3.9+ in 30's

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:39 pm

I was under the impression that top 5% in the T1 was a prereq for H. Is that wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 pm

How is a 3.91 5 or 6 percentile? Does your school grade inflate or am I the only one who thinks that your GPA is a bit high for only being 5 or 6 percentile?

tysmiller

New

Post by tysmiller » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm not sure that any threshold is a "prereq" for transfer admissions. Since I don't think anything beyond the number of transfers gets reported this time around, the schools are free to pretty much do whatever they want, and we have little data regarding the scores of who is accepted. 5% is what arrow estimates in his transfer guide, though. Personally, I expect to fall a bit outside of 5%, so I hope the posters above are right.

There is some amount of inflation at my school. 30% of students get an A (A or A-) in each 1L subject. The following years the curve gets more difficult, and the weight of each course doubles. It's claimed to be a way to ease you into the process with less stress, but that may be an excuse. On the other hand, it may be the case that a few good students did well in every class. It stands to reason that how well you "get" law school determines your performance, not the subject matter of the class. When 5% is only 8-10 students, it is not so hard to believe that less than a dozen people understand how the game is played better than most and can get an A in anything unless they have a bad day. Either way, it all seems moot, as the rank is the only thing that really matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”