t4 to SMU? Help Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legalferrari

New

t4 to SMU? Help

Post by legalferrari » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:58 pm

My family lives in dallas. I am currently at a t4 in Florida. I love it in Florida and would hate to leave. I have earned a scholarship here in FL and have a good shot at moot court. I want to live and practice in Texas. I have a very good chance at getting into SMU becuase of my first year grades and some other factors. Does it make sense to leave behind a scholarship and moot court to go to SMU and pay the full 40k tuition? Thoughts about transfering there?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: t4 to SMU? Help

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 pm

It does if you are certain that you want to live & work in Dallas.
How large is your scholarship? A successful transfer application to SMU may result in a larger scholarship from your present school.

legalferrari

New

Post by legalferrari » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 pm

its about 50%, and Smu doesnt offer any scholarships to transfers. some other reasons that can go both ways on my apprehension: im getting married to a teacher in dallas who loves her job but thinks a change of venue would be nice, i own several retail businesses in texas that can become very very distracting if i was in town. I would save about 60k by staying in FL, plus i was offered a student teaching type position that pays decent as well. But when I look at the average starting salarys the disparity is huge..120k (smu) vs. 70k...but u cant beat living on the beach!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:33 pm

I believe that Florida is a non-reciprocal state for attorneys so be prepared to sit for two bar exams if you want to practice in both states.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I believe that Florida is a non-reciprocal state for attorneys so be prepared to sit for two bar exams if you want to practice in both states.
You are correct, sir. We don't let people waive in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:56 am

YES its worth it. The legal market in Florida is horrible right now, even for UF, FSU, and Miami students. I would personally take SMU at full price over Miami with a scholarship. Any T4, especially one in Florida, to any T-1 is a no brainer.

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 am

iahurricane wrote:YES its worth it. The legal market in Florida is horrible right now, even for UF, FSU, and Miami students. I would personally take SMU at full price over Miami with a scholarship. Any T4, especially one in Florida, to any T-1 is a no brainer.
Didn't know Florida was that bad. Are Miami students at the top of the class having trouble finding a job in Miami? I'm assuming you go there, or are an undergrad, based on your sn.

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

matchesmalone wrote:
iahurricane wrote:YES its worth it. The legal market in Florida is horrible right now, even for UF, FSU, and Miami students. I would personally take SMU at full price over Miami with a scholarship. Any T4, especially one in Florida, to any T-1 is a no brainer.
Didn't know Florida was that bad. Are Miami students at the top of the class having trouble finding a job in Miami? I'm assuming you go there, or are an undergrad, based on your sn.
I went to undergrad there. I go to SMU for law school, there was no way I was sticking around Miami with the type of economic situation that city is going through. According to my NALP search, the Dallas area has more firms starting off at 6 figures than the entire state of Florida.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:47 pm

legalferrari wrote:I love it in Florida and would hate to leave.
legalferrari wrote: I want to live and practice in Texas.
made me lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”