Evaluate my transfer application list? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
apper123

Silver

Evaluate my transfer application list?

Post by apper123 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Top 5% (tbh it's just over 5% mathematically, but I'm just putting #/xxx on my app anyways) of my mid-T2. Extremely strong first semester. 2nd semester was good too, except for 1 complete outlier bad grade. My rank dropped a bit, but it's still obviously good and a single digit.

Already accepted into GULC.

Also want to apply to:

-UVA
-Penn
-NYU
-Michigan

Am I missing any obvious places I should be applying? Does this list look reasonable?

Journeybound

Bronze

Re: Evaluate my transfer application list?

Post by Journeybound » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Hey Apper, I'm probably going to be in the same situation. I'm at a mid T-2 (what coast are you on?) and grades come out tomorrow. I'm hoping to stay within the top 5%. I'm forgoing UVA, because of their preference for residents. I'm also in at GULC, but here is my list.

-Penn
-NYU
-Berkeley
-Chicago (was put on hold after ED)
-Columbia

You might want to spend 80 bucks on Columbia just to see what happens. Anyways, do you think that I'm overly ambitious on my list?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

In the same boat as you guys. Apper: obviously I would only apply to those schools that you would pick over GULC. Pretty great position really.

(Top 2% at low T2....applying to all of top 15 besides HYS. --> Any thoughts? I guess I should probably just forget UVA too with their in state preferences)

electricfeel

Bronze

Post by electricfeel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Hey apper123, anything specific you did that made you so successful? (besides the usual "how to do well in law school" articles on TLS)

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:44 am

apper123 wrote:Top 5% (tbh it's just over 5% mathematically, but I'm just putting #/xxx on my app anyways) of my mid-T2. Extremely strong first semester. 2nd semester was good too, except for 1 complete outlier bad grade. My rank dropped a bit, but it's still obviously good and a single digit.

Already accepted into GULC.

Also want to apply to:

-UVA
-Penn
-NYU
-Michigan

Am I missing any obvious places I should be applying? Does this list look reasonable?

Go for CCN. Just do it. Your grades are stellar. (this goes for Journeybound and stinger as well).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 am

Northwestern used to take a decent amount of transfers. I'd throw and app there too.

+1 on Columbia, might as well throw Chicago an app too.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Just apply everywhere under HYS. Trying to save money on transfer applications is ridiculous, and the transfer process is difficult to estimate.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:12 pm

All my apps should be away this week, and I'm now just waiting on dean's certification forms to be sent. I hope I'm not too late (I doubt I am as most places have July 1/15 dates).

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

electricfeel wrote:Hey apper123, anything specific you did that made you so successful? (besides the usual "how to do well in law school" articles on TLS)
I'll do a write-up soon probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

apper123 wrote: -UVA
-Penn
-NYU
-Michigan

With the GULC acceptance I think this list makes sense + CLS.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Yep it's gunna be that list +CLS and maybe Chicago.

Really don't want to go to the west coast (couldn't possibly do that to my mother haha), so no Berkeley (too late anyways obv). Chicago... mehhh maybe for Chicago, but not for NU. Duke? Mehhh, nah. I want to work in DC and get into politics and/or political law, so GULC makes more sense than Duke IMO. I do not want a career in BigLaw, but I might start in it. I dunno.

Penn? I live in PA and my family is here + top ranked school so that makes sense. CLS and NYU are obvaments. Cornell? Meh, GULC is roughly = Cornell anyways, and I'd rather be in a city.

UVA? I decided I'll apply, but I'm not holding my breath. I asked a 2L there about their transfer class and he said "literally 95+% of them are VA residents."

Michigan? Again, I really don't want to move too far from home, but could I really turn Mich down over GULC especially considering how Mich places on the east coast? Would be a tough choice.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Also, I'm ok on time, right? All my LoRs and xcripts are submitted and processed with the LSAC, and I'm pressing the button on the apps this weekend. The only things which may lag are dean's certs which will all be mailed Monday/Tuesday.

Someone tell me I am so I can stop freaking out. I got my class rank on day 3 of a summer vacation, so my hands were pretty tied when it came to doing apps there. I just couldn't concentrate and put forth the quality app I wanted, so I decided to wait until I got home until I orned them out.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Ya I think timing wise you are fine. The schools on your list seem ornery (sp?) about not reading the apps until they are complete so if that isn't possible yet I wouldn't fret.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 pm

apper123 wrote:Also, I'm ok on time, right? All my LoRs and xcripts are submitted and processed with the LSAC, and I'm pressing the button on the apps this weekend. The only things which may lag are dean's certs which will all be mailed Monday/Tuesday.

Someone tell me I am so I can stop freaking out. I got my class rank on day 3 of a summer vacation, so my hands were pretty tied when it came to doing apps there. I just couldn't concentrate and put forth the quality app I wanted, so I decided to wait until I got home until I orned them out.
sorry for the hijack, but for the Columbia and NYU letters of rec., do we need to send in the supplemental forms? Or is it okay to just send them through LSAC. Both schools have instructions to use the supp. forms but I'm not sure if that is only if you are sending them in separately.

Thanks!

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:37 am

Apper, I'm applying to Upenn too. Perhaps we can be transfer class friends

What class was your outlier grade?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”