Transferring as a part-time student to another school? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jwbang

New

Transferring as a part-time student to another school?

Post by jwbang » Sat May 15, 2010 2:41 am

I will be attending law school this upcoming fall as a part-time student. I plan to transfer after finishing my 1L coursework, but I'm not sure how this will work when considering how classes work for PT students. Does anyone know if it's possible to still successfully transfer schools after one full year, despite being a PT law school student?

toobusy

New

Re: Transferring as a part-time student to another school?

Post by toobusy » Sat May 15, 2010 4:05 am

Yes, but not all schools allow PT to FT transfers. Plan accordingly. The threads on this site are mostly correct, but it changes from year to year. You will need 1L summer classes for certain.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Sat May 15, 2010 4:28 am

I have searched the threads on TLS and people have researched this before. It depends on the school, and in some cases, schools require a certain amount of credits by the end of June that make it impossible for part time students. I think schools are flexible with situations as long as you are a strong candidate and take summer school. You're going to SCU PT?

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Sat May 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Totally depends on the school, many schools will not consider you at all. Some schools will admit you conditionally pending a certain grade in summer classes. The summer classes thing isn't something to depend on since summer grades typically come out afters schools have already admitted as many transfers as they have space for. Obviously it's easier to transfer from one part time program to another part time program. You'll have to call schools and ask.

Besides the fact that attending one school and planning to transfer up is a bad idea, you are in an even worse position because what if all the schools you want (that accept PT transfers) reject you? Then you are really stuck.

If you're not happy with the school you decided to attend, don't go. Retake the LSAT and reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”