Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
apper123

Silver

Re: Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13

Post by apper123 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 pm

thanks for all your answers.

GULC's LRAP + IBR = you are usually taken care of in 10 years assuming you work a qualified job, right?

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:02 pm

apper123 wrote:GULC's LRAP + IBR = you are usually taken care of in 10 years assuming you work a qualified job, right?
Again, I'm a total novice at this, but I thought that only applied to public interest/DOJ work???

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:17 pm

I just logged onto FAFSA and updated my school list from my T4 school (only one I had listed) to GULC + all the other T14 schools I will be applying to! This is so surreal! 8)

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:30 pm

newyorker69 wrote:I just logged onto FAFSA and updated my school list from my T4 school (only one I had listed) to GULC + all the other T14 schools I will be applying to! This is so surreal! 8)
Should I be doing this? lol

I mean obv I will for GULC, but should I for the other schools at this point?

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:53 pm

apper123 wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:I just logged onto FAFSA and updated my school list from my T4 school (only one I had listed) to GULC + all the other T14 schools I will be applying to! This is so surreal! 8)
Should I be doing this? lol

I mean obv I will for GULC, but should I for the other schools at this point?
Well I figure now that I'm in @ GULC, I can remove my current T4 school b/c I am 100% sure I will not be attending next fall. Therefore, GULC must be added to my FAFSA. Moreover, the only way I will not attend GULC is if a higher-ranked T14 accepts me so I figure I might as well have my FAFSA ready and processed with those higher schools in case I get admitted late in the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Wooster33 wrote:LOL.

Most of you EA people won't attend anyway.
I think it would be interesting to add a poll to this thread

Something like:

1. Definitely attending
2. Planning to apply to other schools, would likely attend a T10 over GULC
3. Would only attend a T6 over GULC

Of course quite a bit depends on 2nd semester grades, so it's hard to say how accurate the poll would be just yet. I'm probably in category 2 right now.

trickydicky

New

Post by trickydicky » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Who here is going to attend GULC and foregoing a scholarshp at their current school?

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:14 pm

trickydicky wrote:Who here is going to attend GULC and foregoing a scholarshp at their current school?
Does every school give a scholarship to the top ranked students?

I believe my school gives 90% to the top 5%. I'm pretty sure I can negotiate a 100% scholarship for being in the top 1% and having my GULC acceptance... but even a full ride + $$$ @ my T4 couldnt keep me going to GULC!!

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:47 pm

I hope I'm not the only non-married potential transfer :P. Any neighborhood recommendations for a moderately priced bachelor pad for a 23 year old law student? I'm planning to go down to DC after finals and wanna check out some neighborhoods.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm

bkthunder wrote:I hope I'm not the only non-married potential transfer :P. Any neighborhood recommendations for a moderately priced bachelor pad for a 23 year old law student? I'm planning to go down to DC after finals and wanna check out some neighborhoods.
Define moderately priced.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:02 pm

bkthunder wrote:I hope I'm not the only non-married potential transfer :P. Any neighborhood recommendations for a moderately priced bachelor pad for a 23 year old law student? I'm planning to go down to DC after finals and wanna check out some neighborhoods.
Same.

Some of us on here should consider rooming together next year once we all know we are for sure going to GULC. That may be a while, though.

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm currently at GW so if anyone has questions about areas/prices in DC I may be able to answer some questions! I currently live in Foggy Bottom and love the area, but its a bit far from GTown...

sigmachiev

New

Post by sigmachiev » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Would like to hear this as well, also I'm looking for spots especially close to campus or cool areas. I'm not planning on having a car and I'm stick of taking the bus (I have to take two busses to get to campus where I'm at now). So I'm talking walking distance...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Hey guys

I'm actually from DC area and know it fairly well. I think if you want to live alone it is pretty expensive I would plan on spending 1300 and up for a 1 bedroom or studio.

(I know everyone knows this but Gtown law is NOT in georgetown)

Probably most important are some areas to avoid. Prince Georges County (just to the East in Maryland) is pretty dodgy. The same applies to the area north east of Gtown Law . Again, if you have not been to Gtown, take a drive through that area and you will see what I mean. I'd try to stay south of H street or west of 9th street NW--obviously the borders are not totally clear cut and there are some not-so-great spots even in that area, but this is the closest to a bright line I can get). K street is an up and coming area and if you have lived in big cities before you will be fine there, but if you literally go one more block north it reverts back to an area you don't want to be in. Also down by Nationals park is pretty much pure ghetto (but if you go to a game the metro literally drops you off in front so it is 100% safe)

There are a lot of unique 1 bedrooms (stuff like basement apartments) scattered all across capital hill area. That area is mostly filled with mid to late 20 year olds.

Union Station area is great, big family area, very safe and you can access anywhere in DC (obviously) through the metro lines (all of them run through Union Station)

Penn Quarter is close to verizon center and lots more young 20s crowd. It is a little touristy down there but extremely clean and nice, but very expensive (plan on 2-2.5k a month at a minimum)

Past Penn Quarter starts to get outside of walking distance to Gtown, but there is Adams Morgan/Dupont area and Foggy Bottom (where GW is). Georgetown is also out there but unless you have a small fortune to spend each month and want to relive frat parties every weekend, I wouldnt bother. Adams Morgan/Dupont and Foggy Bottom all have metro stops, Georgetown does not.

I have heard that the Navy shipyards area have lots of cheap housing and are filled with 20 year olds that work in the city. I have also heard that it is a great area, but have never visited it. It is connected to the metro.

Arlington and Alexandria are super wealthy suburbs and it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to DC in my opinion. Same applies to Fairfax and all of the endless suburbs that stretch out into NOVA suburb hell. If you have never visited NOVA and you think that you may want to live there, plan to visit it.

If you guys have any questions, I am more than happy to try and answer. If you can find another person or two to live with you will have tons more options as it seems 98% of DC are young professionals that want to live alone, but the market for 2,3 and 4 bedroom places is fairly cheap. Good luck!!

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:29 pm

I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but is there any real evidence of a stigma for GULC transfer students, when it comes to finding jobs? Are transfer students treated worse, etc?

Also, whats the deal with journals. As transfer students, we can participate in write ons, no? Are transfer students typically successful in getting on journals?

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm

shmoo597 wrote:I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but is there any real evidence of a stigma for GULC transfer students, when it comes to finding jobs? Are transfer students treated worse, etc?

Also, whats the deal with journals. As transfer students, we can participate in write ons, no? Are transfer students typically successful in getting on journals?
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions/TransferStudents.htm wrote:May transfer students participate in a journal? Yes. Transfer students who are interested in journal membership must participate in the write-on competition. Those who have been admitted and have paid their deposit(s) prior to the deadline (typically in late July) may participate in the 2010 journal write-on competition. Those admitted after the deadline will be given an opportunity to participate in the transfer competition beginning in June 2011.
As far as whether GULC transfer students being treated worse, AmicusCuriae stated that this is not the case.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

AmicusCuriae & XM3045:

Here's my problem. Currently I live in the 'burbs outside of NYC and I love the burb life. I'm not sure exactly how DC compares to NYC but I dont think I want to live right in the middle of a ultra-urban city. Where should I be looking for a nice 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in an apartment COMPLEX (preferably) for me and my wife? Obviously this will most likely be outside of DC, but this is fine b/c we both have cars. Which is better for this: MD or VA? How much does an apt in a complex in the burbs outside of DC cost? How bad is traffic/commuting from these locations?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:18 pm

I dated a girl that lived in Fairfax for a couple years, so we used to ride the metro into the city for activities from time to time. It really is quite easy and affordable. If I were going to live in a suburb, I'd settle in NoVa... especially if you plan on staying there for a while and having kids. The school districts/private schools up there are top class.
Last edited by apper123 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 pm

While I am certainly not blowing my studies/finals off, I must say having the GULC EA acceptance in my back pocket has made me so much more relaxed. I don't have the impending feeling of "SCREW UP AND YOU DIE PENNILESS" that I did first semester. Since my long term goal is PI and policy/political work, striking out at OCI next year wouldn't be the kiss of death (although I'll definitely be disappointed) because I now have GULC's LARP to fall back on.

However, all that said... time back to grinding for finals...

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Fairfax is the ultimate suburb area. It actually has a lot to offer and you can drive/metro to the city pretty easily. There are 1000s of affordable apartment complexes out there. Personally I just have a bitter taste about NoVa, but it could be worse I guess. Md. Suburb options are silver spring type area. Don't bother with college park.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm not really too concerned about school districts/etc because im not sure if DC is where I will permanently settle. Basically the biggest things I'm concerned with is: (1) affordable housing in an apartment complex (1-2 bedroom); (2) proximity to GULC; (3) proximity to urban/city job market because wife is a physician assistant and will need to find employment ASAP; (4) somewhat of a fun/nice area for 20-something crowd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Yeah. I'd really like to live with people and not alone as well. So maybe some of us on here can connect and find housing as it gets closer to the time.

I've lived in suburbs literally my entire life, so it might be nice to settle in a city. However, maybe I should just take the comfortable route and get a place in Arlington or something.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

newyorker69 wrote:AmicusCuriae & XM3045:

Here's my problem. Currently I live in the 'burbs outside of NYC and I love the burb life. I'm not sure exactly how DC compares to NYC but I dont think I want to live right in the middle of a ultra-urban city. Where should I be looking for a nice 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in an apartment COMPLEX (preferably) for me and my wife? Obviously this will most likely be outside of DC, but this is fine b/c we both have cars. Which is better for this: MD or VA? How much does an apt in a complex in the burbs outside of DC cost? How bad is traffic/commuting from these locations?
Look onto the areas around Alexandria and those right off 395. 395 is the easiest highway into the city. Driving in from any other direction won't be fun. Traffic here is nuts.

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:21 pm

AmicusCuriae wrote:
Define moderately priced.
I'm not sure how DC real estate compares to NYC but I'm paying around $1300/mo ($2600 total) for a 2BR in Brooklyn now...so something around that range (or less) for a 2BR? What about a 1BR/studio? Would I have to spend closer to $1500?

swords

New

Post by swords » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:44 pm

From someone that lives in DC. I can give you the rent part. If you want "ok" neighborhood, look to pay around $1000/ $1100 per month / per person IF YOU SHARE (2 bedroom / 1 bath most likely). If you want something for yourself .. a "steal / good" deal would be $1600 / month - $1700. For "trendy" areas such as Dupont (Gay population - but still popping), Georgetown - obviously the rent is going to be a lot higher.

For people that are ok living in the burgs.. I would recommend Arlington area and more specifically the Orange line on the metro (Courthouse, Ballston, ... ). Courthouse is near georgetown (Not the law school) and is close to metro. I know a lot of students live in Courthouse (Meridian) where they convert a 2 bedroom + den into a 3 bedroom. There you will pay around $700 - 800 / person.

Having said that.. you can always find places with neighborhoods that are ok but only a few blocks from ghetto for slightly cheaper. Having recently gone through the Apartment search (which sucks) - Personal recommendations for key search terms in craiglist so you can start to get a feel for the rent $: "Logan" (Logan's circle" "gallery" (Gallery/Chinatown), ... I'll add more as I think of them =)

If you plan on living in the city, I would recommend not having car (Parking / worrying about your car will far outweigh any benefit of having it). Hope that helped

Good luck and congrats on ya'lls acceptances.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”