Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
apper123

Silver

Re: Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Post by apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 pm

That's why I decided not to apply to Chicago ED. I saw no benefit in it. All it could do was kinda screw me in the end if I bombed this semester. I've got my GULC EA acceptance, and that gives me a huge feeling of comfort going into my finals.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Odd indeed...but that's a direct quote from admissions. If anyone else has contacted them on this issue, please share!
Last edited by shmoo597 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

GULC transfers got absolutely bloodied this past year. Just FYI. Employers are still going to see your 1L grades--if they drop significantly, you're probably not getting a callback.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm

apper123 wrote:That's why I decided not to apply to Chicago ED. I saw no benefit in it. All it could do was kinda screw me in the end if I bombed this semester. I've got my GULC EA acceptance, and that gives me a huge feeling of comfort going into my finals.
Agreed. The comfort is nice.

That being said, and to respond to TTON, I by no means intend to bomb my finals. I'm going to work just as hard - obviously grades are critical for the 2L job search. Btw, how do you know that GULC transfers were bloodied? Just curious...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:GULC transfers got absolutely bloodied this past year. Just FYI. Employers are still going to see your 1L grades--if they drop significantly, you're probably not getting a callback.
But at least I'll graduate with a degree from GULC. I'm aware of all this. It's not like I'm blowing my studies off.

And I heard GULC transfers did pretty well last year from a few people. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Just got a "you're complete" boilerplate e-mail. Although I've been complete on the status checker since 4/19. Woooord.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:48 pm

also just got the complete email

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:08 pm

JPU wrote:also just got the complete email
+1

Hopefully that means that they are starting to review them and defer/ding me

warriorpoetx

New

Post by warriorpoetx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:19 pm

stinger35 wrote:
JPU wrote:also just got the complete email
+1

Hopefully that means that they are starting to review them and defer/ding me

Yeah, I'm homing that's what it means. It freaked me out for a minute when I got the email saying my application was complete, since it's been complete for two weeks in the status checker.

Good luck everybody. I gather we should expect to hear sometime the second week of May, is that right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

+1 Complete email here too. I got very excited at first because I saw the kid holding up the sign and I thought it was an acceptance congrats.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

+1

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

should we begin the speculation that invaded the GULC EA thread?

I'll go first:

I predict a wave of acceptances on the first sunday following the next full moon

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm

If they only accept 15-25 transfers per year, how many will they actually accept during ED? It seems like it must be a very small number, especially since the acceptances are binding. Maybe 3-5 acceptances? 8-10 at the most?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:20 pm

My hope is that Chicago will carefully consider our personal statements. Does anyone feel like GULC might have not given them much weight?

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 pm

JPU wrote:should we begin the speculation that invaded the GULC EA thread?
I'll go first:
I predict a wave of acceptances on the first sunday following the next full moon
I'll go second: Chicago immediately telephones each EA applicant who is accepted.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Journeybound wrote:If they only accept 15-25 transfers per year, how many will they actually accept during ED? It seems like it must be a very small number, especially since the acceptances are binding. Maybe 3-5 acceptances? 8-10 at the most?
I think there were 5 of us last year, but I can't remember for sure.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:27 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Journeybound wrote:If they only accept 15-25 transfers per year, how many will they actually accept during ED? It seems like it must be a very small number, especially since the acceptances are binding. Maybe 3-5 acceptances? 8-10 at the most?
Thanks for staying on board with us, ToTransferOrNot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Anyone here have the option of receiving a pass/fail instead of a grade for one or more courses this semester? We have that option until the last day before finals for one class. But, I'm thinking about gambling for an A instead of keeping the same GPA.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Thats so nuts to think about. Ive got NO CHANCE. hahahahahaha

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 pm

dcpolitico wrote:Anyone here have the option of receiving a pass/fail instead of a grade for one or more courses this semester? We have that option until the last day before finals for one class. But, I'm thinking about gambling for an A instead of keeping the same GPA.
Are you crazy? Considering transferring means you did well first semester. Maintaining a high gpa is crucial. How could you not do the pass/fail?

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:04 pm

JPU wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:Anyone here have the option of receiving a pass/fail instead of a grade for one or more courses this semester? We have that option until the last day before finals for one class. But, I'm thinking about gambling for an A instead of keeping the same GPA.
Are you crazy? Considering transferring means you did well first semester. Maintaining a high gpa is crucial. How could you not do the pass/fail?
If everyone else gets an A (hypothetically), then my class standing will surely drop (a lot). Aren't we really just being ranked relative to our classmates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
JPU wrote:
If everyone else gets an A (hypothetically), then my class standing will surely drop (a lot). Aren't we really just being ranked relative to our classmates?
What you said is correct but with a law school forced curve only X% can and will get A's. From my perspective you are eliminating all risk of possibly dropping rank relative to your peers in this class because:

A (from first semester) + Pass = A (from 1st semester) + A (2nd semester)

so why take the extra risk?

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:24 pm

JPU wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:
JPU wrote:
What you said is correct but with a law school forced curve only X% can and will get A's. From my perspective you are eliminating all risk of possibly dropping rank relative to your peers in this class because:

A (from first semester) + Pass = A (from 1st semester) + A (2nd semester)

so why take the extra risk?
Trying to solidify my place in the top 5%. Although we have a forced curve, I have a strong feeling my professor doesn't like the admin b/c of tenure issues and is leaving. He's not registered to teach any more courses. Giving us all A's might be his final act.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:15 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
Trying to solidify my place in the top 5%. Although we have a forced curve, I have a strong feeling my professor doesn't like the admin b/c of tenure issues and is leaving. He's not registered to teach any more courses. Giving us all A's might be his final act.
That makes more sense (solidifying spot not everyone getting A's). My situation is different. I can only go down so for me it would make much more sense to try and keep the status quo.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 pm

stinger35 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Thats so nuts to think about. Ive got NO CHANCE. hahahahahaha
Keep in mind, the entire world of people who applied to transfer to UChicago ED is probably lurking on these boards. UChicago ED is not a widely-known thing. Furthermore, a lot of people who would be competetive for it choose to forgo it because they would prefer Columbia (which has similar, if not somewhat more lax due to size, transfer admissions standards,) or want to save themselves for the holy grail (HYS--which I have advocated for ITT, ironically enough--I know that my advice alone knocked a handful of people out of the ED process--those of you who stuck with it owe me, lol).

So, if I remember correctly, I got my call in the second week of May--on a Wednesday, I believe. (I remember that I got the call while I was in a study group for my fourth final exam). I don't know if I would believe whoever in admissions said "consistent" means "same or better"--that isn't at all what was communicated to people last year, and I *really* don't think they're going to axe anyone unless you have a really bad drop in grades.

Also, for what it's worth, I talked them in to letting me keep my deposit in at GULC because I was flipping out so much about the consistent grade thing. Of course, they sent me the e-mail clearing it 5 minutes after I withdrew from GULC :lol: :lol: Saved me $500 in the end, though (there's a $500 deposit for GULC in mid-June, if I remember correctly, and I didn't get all of my grades in untilt he end of June). I think they just got tired of me panicing about it, but you might try to talk them in to it. Just please don't say "oh well you did it for TToN last year!"--the admissions people are already irritated enough with the fact that I don't sing UChicago ED's praises.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”