Transfer to NYC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
engineer

Bronze

Transfer to NYC

Post by engineer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm currently attending a school ranked between 40 and 60, and I did alright during my first semester. I did extremely well in one class, above average in a couple others, but very poorly in another class (it was only worth two credits and the professor admitted to me behind closed doors that he should have read the exams more closely, but just didn't have time). Anyway, I'm actually working my ass off this semester and hope to do much better.

That said, I'm looking to transfer to a school in NYC. I'm working on a couple projects outside of law school, and without divulging too much information, I just think that it would be in my best interest to be in New York. Moreover, my family and friends are all from the area, and it has just been an emotional nightmare being over a thousand miles from everyone. It's to the point where I've been flying home on weekends more often than I'd care to admit. I've made a lot of friends and stuff at this school, which is to say I'm socially normal and get along fine with everyone. However, I can just tell that this city isn't right for me or my future. I don't want to practice law in this state.

Right now, I'm thinking that Fordham would be a very strong match for me. It'd be about a 10-30 increase in rankings, which I realize is rough, considering a lack of straight A+'s, but this transfer is more for personal reasons than strictly gunning for the top. I also plan to submit applications to CLS/NYU, just for the hell of it, since the previously mentioned project outside of law school are huge, and would probably make me marketable for other reasons. Additionally, I would be fine taking a hit in rankings and attend Brooklyn; I was actually set to attend Brooklyn last summer, but I thought that a change in scenery, culture, and everything else would be good for me.

I'm just looking for any input that anyone may have for someone who's transferring for personal reasons, instead of a rankings jump. I guess what I'm really asking is for some advice on how to distinguish my application from those submitted by people motivated by the $$$ increase in moving up the rankings ladder. Additionally, I'm curious whether schools would be wary or suspicious of someone transferring from a higher ranked school.

Thanks, everyone!

Gold

Re: Transfer to NYC

Post by 270910 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Your vague discussion of grades means nothing. If you tell us your approximate rank, and approximate rank of your school, we can give you actual advice. What you just posted was like 6 paragraphs of "I have grades and would like to go do a school that I do not currently attend, please do be advising".

If you're not comfortable providing that info, cruise over to the database in the yahoogroup transferapps. It'll give you a good idea of what grades you need to have what chances.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 pm

disco_barred wrote:Your vague discussion of grades means nothing. If you tell us your approximate rank, and approximate rank of your school, we can give you actual advice. What you just posted was like 6 paragraphs of "I have grades and would like to go do a school that I do not currently attend, please do be advising".

If you're not comfortable providing that info, cruise over to the database in the yahoogroup transferapps. It'll give you a good idea of what grades you need to have what chances.
I was top 1/3 last semester at a school ranked between 40 and 60. If it helps, my school doesn't grade on a 4.0 scale, but instead issues numerical grades based on a really tight curve. That means it's numerically possible for me to go from top 1/3 to top 10-15% (I've done the calculations). I also have a couple *major* soft factors (I'm planning to announce one within the next month) that could make me viable at CLS/NYU if they care about that kind of thing.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 pm

engineer wrote:I also have a couple *major* soft factors (I'm planning to announce one within the next month) that could make me viable at CLS/NYU if they care about that kind of thing.
Will you be holding a press conference?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 pm

engineer wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Your vague discussion of grades means nothing. If you tell us your approximate rank, and approximate rank of your school, we can give you actual advice. What you just posted was like 6 paragraphs of "I have grades and would like to go do a school that I do not currently attend, please do be advising".

I was top 1/3 last semester at a school ranked between 40 and 60. If it helps, my school doesn't grade on a 4.0 scale, but instead issues numerical grades based on a really tight curve. That means it's numerically possible for me to go from top 1/3 to top 10-15% (I've done the calculations). I also have a couple *major* soft factors (I'm planning to announce one within the next month) that could make me viable at CLS/NYU if they care about that kind of thing.
Wait a second......did you find the cure for cancer too? That was MY in to CLS! :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 pm

Any reason why you've left out Cardozo from your discussion? A lateral transfer is probably a better idea than settling for Brooklyn.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm

BobSacamano wrote:Any reason why you've left out Cardozo from your discussion? A lateral transfer is probably a better idea than settling for Brooklyn.
Nope- it just slipped my mind when I was typing. It's just as much in the running as any of the others. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not particularly interested in attending St. John's/Hofstra/etc., since I'd prefer to be living in Manhattan and attending a T1-2 school. Taking a 20 USNWR-point hit is about the most with which I'd be comfortable; any more than that, and I'd have better chances landing a job in that region with a degree from the school I'm currently attending.

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 pm

apper123 wrote:
engineer wrote:I also have a couple *major* soft factors (I'm planning to announce one within the next month) that could make me viable at CLS/NYU if they care about that kind of thing.
LOL I was wondering the same thing

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 pm

apper123 wrote:
Certainly revealing that you are URM warrants a press conference. Very rare in law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 pm

OP you go to Wake Forest, don't you?

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:47 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP you go to Wake Forest, don't you?
How did you guess?

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:03 am

this thread is so bizarre :roll:

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:this thread is so bizarre :roll:
Sorry, I wrote the post half asleep, clearly because I've been trying to memorize the E&Es.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is whether law schools place a lot of faith on the "so why do you wanna transfer" statement. I'd hate for Brooklyn to be like "wtf is he doing taking a ranking hit like that? law is about critical thinking and someone like that clearly hasn't critically thought through the process" and the other schools to just reject me for some other plethora of reasons. Moreover, I know that nothing is guaranteed and that the inevitable randomness of the grading procedure may preclude transferring altogether.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”