Re: HELP - Transfer from T1 (70) to T25 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kipwinger1980

New

Re: HELP - Transfer from T1 (70) to T25

Post by kipwinger1980 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:55 pm

Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 pm

kipwinger1980 wrote: I'm also up for a few federal [strike]clerkships[/strike] internships (2d and 3d Cir.), and if I'm lucky enough to get one, I
think that might be nice table dressing on a transfer APP.
FTFY

Congrats on the grades. I'll leave the transfer advice to someone else.

kipwinger1980

New

Post by kipwinger1980 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the congrats and the edits ;)

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Depending on what your actual rank ends up being, you may be in a good position to do even better than just T25.

I transferred last year from a school in the 60s to UCLA, and I was a hair outside of the top 10% (top 13% to be precise).

If you make it close to top 5% I think you would even have a good shot at Georgetown EA.

If you could pull off a transfer to T14, you would likely be in a killer position with that type of resume.

Best of luck!

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:23 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:Depending on what your actual rank ends up being, you may be in a good position to do even better than just T25.

I transferred last year from a school in the 60s to UCLA, and I was a hair outside of the top 10% (top 13% to be precise).

If you make it close to top 5% I think you would even have a good shot at Georgetown EA.

If you could pull off a transfer to T14, you would likely be in a killer position with that type of resume.

Best of luck!
Fast question for UCLAtransfer. Do you have any anecdotal idea of what rank it took those who transferred in with you from T30ish schools?

PS. Sorry to hijack, but re OP, it sounds like you're in a great spot, and if I were you I would EA at GULC just to see what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:Depending on what your actual rank ends up being, you may be in a good position to do even better than just T25.

Best of luck!
Fast question for UCLAtransfer. Do you have any anecdotal idea of what rank it took those who transferred in with you from T30ish schools?

PS. Sorry to hijack, but re OP, it sounds like you're in a great spot, and if I were you I would EA at GULC just to see what happens.

I seem to remember someone from UC Hastings and possibly W&L who said they were around top 25% or so. From everyone I have talked to at UCLA re: transferring, it seems that most were somewhere between top 1/3 - top 10% (depending on the school), but almost every single person I know had some sort of California/LA ties.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:

Best of luck!

I seem to remember someone from UC Hastings and possibly W&L who said they were around top 25% or so. From everyone I have talked to at UCLA re: transferring, it seems that most were somewhere between top 1/3 - top 10% (depending on the school), but almost every single person I know had some sort of California/LA ties.
that kills my chances.....

Just curious. How much do you think "ties" to the location actually matters in the transfer game?
Also "ties" not just i want to move to LA to work blah blah it s sunny blah blah right?

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 am

thexfactor wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:

Best of luck!

that kills my chances.....

Just curious. How much do you think "ties" to the location actually matters in the transfer game?
Also "ties" not just i want to move to LA to work blah blah it s sunny blah blah right?
In all honesty, I'm not sure, since my only evidence is with applying to schools in CA, where I have ties, but I was quite amazed with how it seemed that the entire transfer class had some sort of ties- was from there originally, went to undergrad in LA, worked there after 1L summer etc. I suppose it could be just a self-selecting group who chose to transfer there, but I was quite surprised nonetheless.

Best of luck to you and to OP!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:37 am

I'm gonna recommend you ED to Chicago. You should also blanket the lower T14 if they don't accept you. Someone will bite.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote: In all honesty, I'm not sure, since my only evidence is with applying to schools in CA, where I have ties, but I was quite amazed with how it seemed that the entire transfer class had some sort of ties- was from there originally, went to undergrad in LA, worked there after 1L summer etc. I suppose it could be just a self-selecting group who chose to transfer there, but I was quite surprised nonetheless.

Best of luck to you and to OP!
This. No one really wants to live in LA.

Kidding aside, I think self-selection has a lot to do with it. Usually, that means prior ties to the area. Explain in your PS the specific reasons why you want to transfer to LA, and make sure they're meaningful (as opposed to zOMG celebrities!1!). That should put you on even keel with just about everyone else.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 pm

I really have to think of a "better reason" for transferring. I don't think my real reasons of transferring (job opportunities, better location and prestige) would impress the admissions council.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”