transfer out of northwestern law? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dcz222

New

transfer out of northwestern law?

Post by dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 am

I got the following grades in my Fall semester at Northwestern law school, top 25 school, second best school in Chicago, 4th best in the Midwest region:

Civ Pro: A, Torts: A-, Contracts: A-, Criminal Law: B+, Writing: A-

Semester GPA: 3.66, A- average, (percentile not provided by school)

I'm shooting for HYSCCN+B

ogman05

Bronze

Re: transfer out of northwestern law?

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am

dcz222 wrote:I got the following grades in my Fall semester at Northwestern law school, top 25 school, second best school in Chicago, 4th best in the Midwest region:

None of the bolded is necessary. We on tls know the school. Do better next semester. If can get above 60% like you quoted in another thread and closer to 80% transfer. Otherwise stop spamming TLS with 3 threads on the same thing

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am

ogman05 wrote:
dcz222 wrote:I got the following grades in my Fall semester at Northwestern law school, top 25 school, second best school in Chicago, 4th best in the Midwest region:

None of the bolded is necessary. We on tls know the school. Do better next semester. If can get above 60% like you quoted in another thread and closer to 80% transfer. Otherwise stop spamming TLS with 3 threads on the same thing
Anyone else find it unusual for OP to refer to NU as Top 25??

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

slider wrote:
ogman05 wrote:

True but from other posts I assume that op is either flame or got lucky and ended T14 and found this site to ask for advice excusing the fact that he refers to it as a T25 when it should be T14

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 am

Doesnt make it any less true, it is a top 25 school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:54 am

Out of curiosity, what's the third best school in the Midwest region? I count U of C and Michigan, LOL.

Anyway, those are solid grades. Anyway, let's take it as given by TTT-LS in the other thread that you're around top 25%.

Now, what are your reasons for transferring, and where do you want to practice?

I thin YHS is out, but you have a shot at the others. The question is, is it worth it?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:55 am

slider wrote:
ogman05 wrote:

Last edited by summertimechi on Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcz222

New

Post by dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:59 am

rayiner wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the third best school in the Midwest region? I count U of C and Michigan, LOL.

Anyway, those are solid grades. Anyway, let's take it as given by TTT-LS in the other thread that you're around top 25%.

I thin YHS is out, but you have a shot at the others. The question is, is it worth it?
Reasons for transferring:

1. They are very business-school like, I'm more academic.
2. I went through some personal turmoil, and a new city would probably be very, very good for me, so U of C would probably not be ideal for this.
3. I want to keep the academia option open.
4. They make me sit through ridiculous mandatory seminars regularly, involving role-playing.

dcz222

New

Post by dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 am

rayiner wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the third best school in the Midwest region? I count U of C and Michigan, LOL.

Also, I don't think I'll get a decent job outta here anywhere other than the Midwest.. and I hate the Midwest, I'd rather be out in Cali or up in NY, not that many people I talk to in different states know that NU is a good law school.. they associate it with a good business school (Kellogg) and a hell of a med school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 am

So you might be in the top 1/4 .... okay, count HYS out and I still think that you are on the outside looking in at CCN.

Outside of family reasons and a damn good story, a transfer to MVP may look very suspicious to potential employers (read does this guy have committment issues ... will he stay long term?). So you want to transfer down?

I also think that your desire to transfer may be destructive throughout the spring semester ... either way, I encourage you to transfer ...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 am

dcz222 wrote:4. They make me sit through ridiculous mandatory seminars regularly, involving role-playing.
Okay, you may have a point here! Our session, albeit a bit fun, was by no means helpful to my problem solving abilities as a lawyer.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 am

dcz222 wrote:

2. I went through some personal turmoil, and a new city would probably be very, very good for me, so U of C would probably not be ideal for this.
4. They make me sit through ridiculous mandatory seminars regularly, involving role-playing.
And this is why you avoid lawcest kids.

dcz222

New

Post by dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

chadwick218 wrote:
dcz222 wrote:4. They make me sit through ridiculous mandatory seminars regularly, involving role-playing.
Okay, you may have a point here! Our session, albeit a bit fun, was by no means helpful to my problem solving abilities as a lawyer.
I have not gained one positive thing from any seminar other than maybe Orientation where they showed me the restroom layouts. What's sad is they try, and they really believe they're making a difference.

You cannot give people the workload they give us, and then have MANDATORY seminars. Secondly, you cannot make something mandatory without identifying what the consequences are for a breach. I have never ever figured out what they'd to us if we just never showed up to the things they organize.

Portal was a waste of time, I would've rather figured out where the nice restaurants were on that week. I like the 2 week spring break tho, NW is making up for it with that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:23 am

Agreed. IMO, Portal, APEX, and the Lawyer Problem Solving Skills Seminars all need to be nixed next year. At least your section was yelled at in APEX.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

dcz222 wrote:

If you want academia, you need HYS + Chicago + Michigan. Michigan will probably take you, and Chicago might if you can put together a compelling reason to transfer. You're still out at YHS unless you can get your grades up into the top 10% range by next semester.

If you don't like the feel of the school and the location, I think it wouldn't be ludicrous to transfer to Berkeley, where you can probably put together a legit story about wanting better opportunities in the California market.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 am

Northwestern's bowl game is causing this person serious anguish

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 am

chadwick218 wrote:Agreed. IMO, Portal, APEX, and the Lawyer Problem Solving Skills Seminars all need to be nixed next year. At least your section was yelled at in APEX.
I liked Portal, and the LPS seminar, though poorly timed (right when everybody is more concerned about getting grades back than anything else), was actually kind of helpful. I did the client counseling one, and got some genuine insight into how to interview clients, etc.

I think APEX is a giant waste of time, but largely because the format is so brain-dead and because there is so much of it. The outlining and exam-writing workshops should have been optional, and the material should have been made available as PowerPoints or PDFs, not those god-damn videos. Videos are an absolutely terrible format for presenting information! You can't seek through them, reference them later, etc. However, some of the APEX sessions like the simulated final, and the panel where 2L/3Ls came in and told us what would be on our professors' exams were extremely helpful (if you were paying attention!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am

This sounds suspiciously like my current job.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:11 am

Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 am

Old thread is old.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 am

Based on your earlier posts, this seems to have been an unpleasant semester for you brought on by personal difficulties. No need to bad mouth the school--especially when seeking their support via recommendations for transfer applications. Many, if not all, should understand your reasons for seeking a new environment; I'll bet you find a lot of support for your move. Good luck !

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Transfers”