University of Minnesota 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota 2013

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Mon May 24, 2010 2:41 am

Jenno wrote:Does anyone know if we get to keep this at the end of the 3 years or have to give it back and get a portion of our money back?
I'm pretty sure it's yours to keep. I believe they used to give the option to lease or buy, but now everyone just has to buy it.

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 am

Jenno wrote:Does anyone know if we get to keep this at the end of the 3 years or have to give it back and get a portion of our money back?
By then it'd be ridiculously obsolete and probably of little value. Anyway, I think our tuition money had paid for it and pays for those of our fellow classmates.

Edit: Ah, thanks for the clarification TJ. Btw, I actually share your birthday (the historical figure at least).
Last edited by Fast_Fingers on Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 am

Fast_Fingers wrote:
By then it'd be ridiculously obsolete and probably of little value. Anyway, I think our tuition money had paid for it and pays for those of our fellow classmates.
There's a $1400 fee every 1L will pay first semester to cover it.

alexanderkaim

New

Post by alexanderkaim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:04 pm

I just finally withdrew from the other school I deposited at, so I'm officially going to UMN in the fall. I'm excited.

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate next year? My plans just fell through so looking for a female or male roommate. I'm leaning towards Uptown, but I'm flexible!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:57 am

alexanderkaim wrote:I just finally withdrew from the other school I deposited at, so I'm officially going to UMN in the fall. I'm excited.
I was just taken off waitlist and am wondering should I withdraw from the school I've submitted my deposit...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

jalisamw wrote:
alexanderkaim wrote:I just finally withdrew from the other school I deposited at, so I'm officially going to UMN in the fall. I'm excited.
I was just taken off waitlist and am wondering should I withdraw from the school I've submitted my deposit...
Umm, are you going to MN instead? If so, then yes, you should withdraw.

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Slimpee wrote:
jalisamw wrote:
I'm not sure yet. It's a toss up between Tulane and MN at this point.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:17 pm

jalisamw wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
jalisamw wrote:
I'm not sure yet. It's a toss up between Tulane and MN at this point.
Where do you want to work?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Where do you want to work?[/quote]

Really, I'm flexible to anywhere. (However, I'd eventually like to live in Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.)

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm

jalisamw wrote:Where do you want to work?
Really, I'm flexible to anywhere. (However, I'd eventually like to live in Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.)[/quote]

Any scholarship from either school?

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:26 pm

JCougar wrote:
jalisamw wrote:Where do you want to work?
Really, I'm flexible to anywhere. (However, I'd eventually like to live in Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.)
Any scholarship from either school?[/quote]

Yep...30K/year from Tulane. 32K/year from MN.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Wow. Good job man.

Minnesota has better placement overall, but if you really want to work in the South and biglaw is not your main concern, Tulane could be okay. Don't count on biglaw from Tulane, though.

I dunno...I'd still probably choose Minnesota if I were you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm a huge fan of MN but if you want the south go to school in the south.

For example, UGA would've been a great value for me but I don't have a strong desire to live or practice in the south so i'm sticking to the midwest...

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm a huge fan of MN but if you want the south go to school in the south.

For example, UGA would've been a great value for me but I don't have a strong desire to live or practice in the south so i'm sticking to the midwest...
I just don't want to mess up chances at bigger law firms by choosing Tulane over Minnesota.

buddythedog

New

Post by buddythedog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 pm

jalisamw wrote:

When were you taken off the waitlist? Did they call you?

umn's waitlist is slowly killing me...

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:14 pm

buddythedog wrote:
jalisamw wrote:

I received a phone call on May 27 saying there may be openings for seats and if I was still interested. I received my admittance packet via email yesterday (6/1).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 pm

buddythedog wrote:

You and me both! I'm trying to be hopeful...

bobbycortez

New

Post by bobbycortez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm

jalisamw wrote:
buddythedog wrote:
jalisamw wrote:

I received a phone call on May 27 saying there may be openings for seats and if I was still interested. I received my admittance packet via email yesterday (6/1).
Congratulations on getting off the waitlist! Do you mind posting or PM'ing your gpa/last/date of application? These waitlists are driving me insane

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 pm

bobbycortez wrote:
jalisamw wrote:
buddythedog wrote:
jalisamw wrote:

Congratulations on getting off the waitlist! Do you mind posting or PM'ing your gpa/last/date of application? These waitlists are driving me insane
Thanks! And sure. GPA: 3.93 (Summary) or 3.94 (Cumulative)/ LSAT: 154 / App Date: Feb. 1, 2010

I had gotten an email from Minnesota back at the end of November about applying, but an issue with my transcripts kept me from completing my application.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:42 pm

how come no one's adding themselves to the TLS class of 2013 thread? i feel so alone....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 pm

jayn3 wrote:how come no one's adding themselves to the TLS class of 2013 thread? i feel so alone....
Well, as long as you added yourself to the Minnesota Facebook group, I consider that good enough. But I'll join you anyway.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 am

Fast_Fingers wrote:
jayn3 wrote:how come no one's adding themselves to the TLS class of 2013 thread? i feel so alone....
Well, as long as you added yourself to the Minnesota Facebook group, I consider that good enough. But I'll join you anyway.
I can't decide what the comparative scarcity of UMN's TLS presence combined with a larger facebook group is a sign of. Enthusiasm for privacy loss?

Not that there aren't UMN people around these parts, but it doesn't seem to win polls versus comparable midwest schools too often -- people are either scared of the cold or lured by promises that Illinois/Notre Dame and Chicago are BFFs.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 am

dvd wrote:in regards to Illinois and ND - not only is Minnesota ranked higher historically, Minneapolis is also a much nicer place to live than South Bend or Chambana.
No argument here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”