1L Summer Jobs!!! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
BoriquaEsquire

New

1L Summer Jobs!!!

Post by BoriquaEsquire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:45 pm

So what is everyone doing this year as a summer job. Remember, this is your last year of freedom to do pretty much whatever you want (so long as it's law-related)!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: 1L Summer Jobs!!!

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:48 pm

haha hoping to practice some transactional work -- hit the ground running and know whether ill actually like it or not

pre-law

New

Post by pre-law » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 am

U.S. Attorney's Office, Civil Division in a major city.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:16 am

DoubleChecks wrote:haha hoping to practice some transactional work -- hit the ground running and know whether ill actually like it or not
Do you have something lined up yet? What is the 1L job scene at Harvard like if you don't mind me asking.. (are most students doing unpaid work, is there paid firm work available for a considerable portion of students who are looking for it, are some students having trouble getting anything etc.). Thx.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:haha hoping to practice some transactional work -- hit the ground running and know whether ill actually like it or not
Do you have something lined up yet? What is the 1L job scene at Harvard like if you don't mind me asking.. (are most students doing unpaid work, is there paid firm work available for a considerable portion of students who are looking for it, are some students having trouble getting anything etc.). Thx.
i have something lined up, but im from a unique market (TX) that still does 1L SAs relatively frequently. i jumped on that early and snagged a great offer early in the winter.

i would say that is the most important thing -- preparation. most employers do not care about HLS grades for 1L SA (most dont even understand it lol), so it is about targeting well and applying early imo. due to the economy, a few people were worried early on but tbh, pretty much everyone i know has something lined up by this point and most of them sound like pretty neat jobs. ITE might have made the apprehension higher and the job-getting a bit slower, but quality does not seem to have suffered much at all -- if you prep early. as for pay...i got a mix of paid and unpaid 1L friends, almost 50/50. plenty going international or back to their home markets for 1L year, though most of them plan on targeting NYC for 2L biglaw SA i bet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Federal District Court Internship, and a Part-Time Research Assistant Gig working on a paper regarding international contracts. I'm in Boston but the Court is in Florida. I'm excited to spend one more summer on the beach relaxing before hopefully moving on to a soulless cold life as a firm lawyer in New England.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Federal District Court internship back home in Mid-Atlantic region.

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm

public interest organization in manhattan, part-time also at a bankruptcy boutique

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:25 pm

I'll be working at a public defender office in California. It pays a tiny bit too, so my twelve month lease back in Iowa City won't entirely devour my budget.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 am

Pro-Bono work in Chicago, and 8 credits of study abroad!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:55 am

1L SA gig. Chose to do all transactional work (hoping I don't have to do a litigation rotation). Luckily for me, this is "what I actually want to do."

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 am

This seems like as good a place as any to post this. I was a pizza-guy in an Italian restaurant throughout college, any harm in picking up some evening shifts while working for the federal court down the street this summer? I kind of want to make fun of myself for working as a pizza-guy after I've begun law school....but I kind of want my $10.00 an hour.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 am

Cupidity wrote:This seems like as good a place as any to post this. I was a pizza-guy in an Italian restaurant throughout college, any harm in picking up some evening shifts while working for the federal court down the street this summer? I kind of want to make fun of myself for working as a pizza-guy after I've begun law school....but I kind of want my $10.00 an hour.
I highly doubt that would be an issue.

for the thread

Also, RA-ing for my fave prof -- bunch of papers and a book revision :) stoked

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Sun May 08, 2011 8:53 am

I have not had the kind of luck others have had, sadly. Next year I suppose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”