U of Houston Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Bustang

Bronze

Re: U of Houston Class of 2013

Post by Bustang » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Everyone get the invite to the FB page?

Edit: it's likely we wont get our schedule till after the second deposit. Or at least that's what makes sense in my brain.

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Bustang wrote: Edit: it's likely we wont get our schedule till after the second deposit. Or at least that's what makes sense in my brain.
oh ok.. when is that deposit due?

ChonWayne

New

Post by ChonWayne » Tue May 04, 2010 4:53 pm

Bustang wrote:Everyone get the invite to the FB page?

Edit: it's likely we wont get our schedule till after the second deposit. Or at least that's what makes sense in my brain.
Yep, just got it yesterday. It feels more official now that I'm a member of the FB group :)

I visited UofH campus a couple of weekends ago very briefly and was able to check out the law school and the Calhoun lofts. I also looked at a few other apartments but didn't find any keepers yet. The Calhoun lofts seemed like they would be a decent place to live. I'm looking for a one bedroom but there is no way my fiance and myself were going to be able to live in the unit that they showed us because it was too small. We'd have to get a 2 bedroom which ran for $1400. The nice thing about this price is the water, electric, cable, internet, and gas is all figured into the price. The proximity to the law school is also very convenient. The deal breaker for us was there is a no pet policy enforced.

Just thought I'd share with those of you who didn't know much about the lofts.

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:20 am

Here's the schedule of all of the classes for the Fall. Everyone that's full time will be in either Section A, B, or C. You'll all have classes at the same time for the most part, just with different professors. So you can look at the schedule on online and see what time you'll be in class. 1L year I had Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts, and Legal Research and Writing during the Fall Semester. Spring semester is Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Property, Legal Research and Writing, and one elective that you can choose from 3 or 4 potential classes.

For $1,400, you can get some really nice apartments throughout Houston. I'm living in a 1,250 sq. foot apartment with my wife just inside the 610 loop off of 59. We pay $1,150 a month in rent (with basic utilities) and $100 in electricity. The apartment allows pets, has an awesome pool, and nice gym, it's about a 15 minute drive but I feel completely safe walking around at night. But even this place is kind of pricey compared to other apartments. In my opinion, Calhoun Lofts are ridiculously overpriced. Before anyone locks in there, I seriously recommend that you at least visit a few apartment complexes to compare.

kh86

New

Post by kh86 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:05 am

Nice to see someone start this page. I will be attending part-time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 am

Josh the Goat wrote:Here's the schedule of all of the classes for the Fall. Everyone that's full time will be in either Section A, B, or C. You'll all have classes at the same time for the most part, just with different professors. So you can look at the schedule on online and see what time you'll be in class. 1L year I had Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts, and Legal Research and Writing during the Fall Semester. Spring semester is Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Property, Legal Research and Writing, and one elective that you can choose from 3 or 4 potential classes.

For $1,400, you can get some really nice apartments throughout Houston. I'm living in a 1,250 sq. foot apartment with my wife just inside the 610 loop off of 59. We pay $1,150 a month in rent (with basic utilities) and $100 in electricity. The apartment allows pets, has an awesome pool, and nice gym, it's about a 15 minute drive but I feel completely safe walking around at night. But even this place is kind of pricey compared to other apartments. In my opinion, Calhoun Lofts are ridiculously overpriced. Before anyone locks in there, I seriously recommend that you at least visit a few apartment complexes to compare.
/agree. I glanced at a few apartments in Midtown (stupid nice) and they were the same price as Calhoun. The 1bdr at Calhoun don't even come with dishwashers!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 pm

If anyone's in town tonight, I'll be heading out for a few margaritas with a few other law students at El Pueblito on Richmond at 8:30 after my Oil and Gas Tax Law Final. Feel free to come out and join us.

I'm wearing a green polo shirt and I'll probably be talking about how much law school is a pain in the ass.

folgers

New

Post by folgers » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm

I'll be attending in the fall as well pending any movement off some waitlists. Lived in Houston and surrounding areas most of my life and went to UH undergrad as well. For those considering the lofts - while the facilities are fine, the area of Houston that the campus is located is not so great. I lived about 30 miles east of campus during undergrad and the commute was not bad at all, so there are definitely plenty of parts of Houston that you can commute from with no problem. Traffic can be bad in the mornings on 610 and 45 but not horrible.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon May 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:If anyone's in town tonight, I'll be heading out for a few margaritas with a few other law students at El Pueblito on Richmond at 8:30 after my Oil and Gas Tax Law Final. Feel free to come out and join us.

I'm wearing a green polo shirt and I'll probably be talking about how much law school is a pain in the ass.
what?!?! No wetspot? maybe that's just the STCL hang.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Wed May 12, 2010 11:32 am

My fiance' and I just picked out an apartment near Rice. Anyone else planning to live around there?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 pm

mr.ford wrote:My fiance' and I just picked out an apartment near Rice. Anyone else planning to live around there?
Def. one of the areas I'm looking at. How long was the commute?

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Wed May 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Bustang wrote:Def. one of the areas I'm looking at. How long was the commute?
Heh, well, not sure. I'm still at my undergrad in Oklahoma, and my fiance' went down to Houston to apartment hunt because she doesn't have any finals. But she tells me it's 6 miles from the law school. Even with Houston's notorious traffic, it can't be that bad, right? :roll:

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed May 12, 2010 5:15 pm

mr.ford wrote:
Bustang wrote:Def. one of the areas I'm looking at. How long was the commute?
Heh, well, not sure. I'm still at my undergrad in Oklahoma, and my fiance' went down to Houston to apartment hunt because she doesn't have any finals. But she tells me it's 6 miles from the law school. Even with Houston's notorious traffic, it can't be that bad, right? :roll:
Yeah. probably 15 minutes in bad traffic. Very nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 am

What do y'all think of the preview class e-mail? I think I may just be reading a suggested book or two and maybe listening to LEEWS.

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Thu May 13, 2010 2:40 am

Bustang wrote:What do y'all think of the preview class e-mail? I think I may just be reading a suggested book or two and maybe listening to LEEWS.
I'd do it if I lived in one of the program cities. Too bad I'm an hour plus drive from UT. But, then again, I won't be working this summer so I wouldn't really have much else to do anyway.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 am

Congrats to all here. I currently reside in Houston so I bid you all welcome.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 am

Bustang wrote:What do y'all think of the preview class e-mail? I think I may just be reading a suggested book or two and maybe listening to LEEWS.
I hate to declare such an absolute, but I have never (never ever? never ever ever.) seen anyone say anything positive about Law Preview. All my law school friends and recent graduates laugh at Law Preview.

So I have to question the motives/rationality of that email. I would expect 8 hours of browsing TLS would be more beneficial than Law Preview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu May 13, 2010 12:34 pm

madmartigan wrote:
I hate to declare such an absolute, but I have never (never ever? never ever ever.) seen anyone say anything positive about Law Preview. All my law school friends and recent graduates laugh at Law Preview.

So I have to question the motives/rationality of that email. I would expect 8 hours of browsing TLS would be more beneficial than Law Preview.
This is what i suspected. Thanks!

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:24 pm

I'll also be attending. Do we have a second deposit?

Calhoun Lofts for me. I know it's overpriced but it's so close.

What is everyone doing for the summer?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 pm

A: UHLC requires that applicants submit a $200 enrollment fee to secure their space in the class. We do not require a second deposit; however, we will require admitted students to complete an enrollment commitment form in June, indicating their intent to matriculate at UHLC
Sweet! I'm glad they don't need a deposit because I'm going broke without my loans! I still need a new laptop etc :(

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Mon May 17, 2010 1:26 pm

FB567 wrote: What is everyone doing for the summer?
I'm just hanging out at home in east TX. Planning on moving down to Houston around mid-late July, so I have time to have fun in Houston before the grind begins :cry: . What about yourself?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm

madmartigan wrote:
FB567 wrote: What is everyone doing for the summer?
I'm just hanging out at home in east TX. Planning on moving down to Houston around mid-late July, so I have time to have fun in Houston before the grind begins :cry: . What about yourself?
I'll be spending time at home in Dallas and in Corpus Christi. I'm planning on moving the first week of August. Hopefully it'll be enough time explore the Houston area and possibly meet up with some TLS people. Yeah.. this summer is going to fly by. :(

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm taking a week long trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in July. I've been planning this trip in my head for over 2 years now. It's great to finally see it all coming together.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Bustang wrote:I'm taking a week long trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in July. I've been planning this trip in my head for over 2 years now. It's great to finally see it all coming together.
Nice. I took that trip 2 years ago, in June. I took nothing but summer clothes, and it snowed the entire time... so don't make my mistake, check the forecast before you pack.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu May 20, 2010 12:31 am

madmartigan wrote:
Bustang wrote:I'm taking a week long trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in July. I've been planning this trip in my head for over 2 years now. It's great to finally see it all coming together.
Nice. I took that trip 2 years ago, in June. I took nothing but summer clothes, and it snowed the entire time... so don't make my mistake, check the forecast before you pack.
:D That is crazy. I'll be prepared for a little bit of everything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”