Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jasonac21

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Post by jasonac21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Well, I know where I'll be spending my Saturday nights...

eBulletproofvest.com

New

Post by eBulletproofvest.com » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Tylor bought a bulletproof vesthe and I just can't figure if it is worth it.
dp73816 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
kissy wrote:i just don't really find the idea of commuting all that appealing, especially since there are classes @ night and i don't own a bullet-proof vest. plus, i'm prone to distractions, and feel that (for the first year at least) being on campus will be extremely beneficial for me.

...I don't know, I would think living with a bunch of drunk undergraduates on-campus would lead to more distractions. I'm more into the whole 1-2 lawl skool roommate(s) thing. At least we could all go through hell together, without having to deal with undergraduate freshman's mommy-separation anxiety. :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable:
I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it. It would be also good to have someone there to help you study when you are not at school. Bounce ideas off on how to form opinions or look at a case from a different angle, etc.

I think you misinterpreted what I meant...I agree completely. Im talking about undergrads - I dont want to deal with them; I want to have law school roommates!

....so I guess every time you type LS it says law school? Man, thats news to me...
...Oh, I get it: harvard, stanford, yale....April fools! I was wondering why the hell I couldnt type anything correctly

eBulletproofvest.com

New

Post by eBulletproofvest.com » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:03 am

Tylor bought a bulletproof vest , he and I just can't figure if it is worth it.
kissy wrote:I definitely agree, I'm pretty much getting paid by a law firm to sit on TSL 8)

And which session did you sign up for? I chose Contracts 3, although I didn't realize at the time that the layover between the last class and the final is only 2/3 days ... whereas it's like 9 or 10 for the first two sessions. I'm a Jersey resident and plan on living on-campus.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 am

Huh???

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:44 am

beach_terror wrote:Villanova, Syracuse, or Temple (yeah, still haven't made my mind up). Rutgers was kind of a back seat to all of them, and although I hadn't ruled them out completely, I'd rather the spot go to someone who definitely wants to go there.
I was accepted to Nova and Syracuse (with scholarships). I choose RU-Camden because of the price difference. What was your motivation for your decision. If you don't want to explain I totally understand. 'Nova/Syracuse tuition, even with scholarship money, scared the crap out of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:44 am

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Villanova, Syracuse, or Temple (yeah, still haven't made my mind up). Rutgers was kind of a back seat to all of them, and although I hadn't ruled them out completely, I'd rather the spot go to someone who definitely wants to go there.
I'm guessing scholarship $$ reason, correct? Otherwise, the only one I'd consider over Rutgers is Temple (and only if I was in-state in PA; OOS it's too much more). Villanova and Syracuse are crazy $$$ at sticker (and IMO, not worth it).
Wow, I guess you beat me to this post, haha.

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:46 am

kissy wrote:if your heart's set on philadelphia then villanova seems like a no-brainer

Edit: depending on what kind of $$ you got from temple..
I am not so sure about this. RU-Camden places well in Philly. The only school in the area that is a no-brainer over RU-Camden is UPenn. When it comes to RU-Camden vs. Temple, that would be a coin flip. However, the neighborhood Temple is in is very sketchy. Yes, it is far worse than the Camden Waterfront area.

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 am

ellebee wrote:
kissy wrote:our orientation is 6/21

Ah, i didn't see that second email.

So, being that I'm from the west coast and I intend on living and working on the westcoast after school, do you guys think I should ride out the waitlists closer to california AND give up summer jump start? It really would kill me if by the end of August waiting would have been in vain. I was thinking of giving my WL until mid-June. This is kind of why I didn't join the FB group since I'm not 100 percent yet.

I've slightly hinted this question earlier, but i want to know what you guys would do, too.
There are actually quite a few students at RU-Camden who are 2 and 3Ls from the West Coast. All of them have very good summer associate positions that will likely lead to employment.

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:50 am

bucknell09 wrote:In the end, is it cheaper to live on campus or in the Victor? I'm leaning toward the Victor just because I don't feel like living in a dorm, but then again I'm moving from California so it's not like I can bring all of my stuff, I would have to buy furniture over there.
On campus housing at RU-Camden is not cheap, but the apartments for law students are all remodeled. They are actually pretty nice. You have stainless steal appliances, granite counter tops, wood flooring, etc. Plus, it is really a good experience to live in the dorms a 1L, because you are roommates with other law students. This gives you a really good chance to meet other law students and make friends.

You can find decent deals on furniture if you scour CraigsList. However, living in the dorms makes 1L year easier, because you do not have to even think about utilities, etc. Plus, the dorms are completely furnished. You really do not have to buy anything. They are completely ready to go.
Last edited by Joe Biden on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Joe Biden

New

Post by Joe Biden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:55 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:On my flight from Philly to LA and boy my arms are tired... Bad joke ok. Anyways, I loved Philly and rutgers!! Putting my seat deposit down when I get back!! Everything about the school I liked. Joe Biden was right about it not being such a bad area around campus. It was weird having a bunch of people hanging out on the city streets but that's about it. In fact everyone was nice it seemed and I asked directions a couple of times with no worries.

As far as the victors go, the guy I toured with said they have very few spots remaining. I really did like the apts however when I stepped off the patco I was in love with haddonfield. It's such a quaint little town with tree covered streets, old colonial style houses with wrapped porches, and almost every home had a beautiful garden. I could see myself enjoying some walks to the grocery stores or local eateries or just to get some exercise. That being said, I plan to move around July 1st so that I can get in state tuition. If you want to get a 2 bedroom with me near the patco in haddonfield please let me know asap so we can work on reserving a place. I've talked to a couple of you about living at the victor and if you do change your mind, I am here! Also, I toured the haddonview and they sucked. Too far away and it was all old people. I felt like I was in a retirement home. Bingo night every Saturday!!

Oh and I took a bunch of pics and will post them on the facebook group
Actually, Haddonview Apartments are not bad. Here are some pluses:

1) There are law students who live there.

2) You are right next to a grocery store and shopping center. Everything from a liquor store to fast food is within walking distance.

3) The area is very safe.

4) Utilities are included.

5) While some of the buildings look crappy when you walk in, the apartments themselves are very nice and modern.

6) You are close to the Patco.

Downside

The balconies scare the shit out of me. I can totally see myself drunk, tripping and falling over. :|

-------------

Yeah, the Camden Waterfront is not bad at all. Most of the people you saw on the streets are actually people who work in the area on lunch break, college students and people waiting for the buses. Camden Community College is right next to Rutgers, so there are a ton of students in the area during the day. Plus, people forget the federal courthouse, county courthouse, etc. are all right in that area. There are a lot of judges and lawyers who eat lunch in the area, work long hours in the area, etc.

I am not sure if you noticed, but there are a ton of law firms in the area around Rutgers, because the county and federal courthouse are right there. There is this impression that Camden is a terrible place and that is not really true. You will quickly learn where the bad areas are, but they are isolated. The area around the school, i.e. the Waterfront is beautiful. It is actually a lot of fun to walk the area by the courthouses during the day. There are food vendors, street vendors selling clothing, etc. You can find some great deals on clothes from the street vendors as well. That area is extremely safe during the day. At night, like any city, you may want to walk in groups if possible.

The worst that will really happen to you is that a bum asks you for change. I don't care what city you are in, that is going to happen everywhere. The same guy has been asking for change to catch the bus to Washington D.C. since I moved here two years ago. All of Rutgers Campus is very heavily patrolled by police, security guards, etc. There is really nothing to be scared about in that area, especially during the day.

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 am

Joe Biden wrote: There are actually quite a few students at RU-Camden who are 2 and 3Ls from the West Coast. All of them have very good summer associate positions that will likely lead to employment.
Lead to employment where? I don't doubt that if i go to RCU i can find a good job on the east coast, I'm more worried about bring that degree over to the pacific side.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:00 am

ellebee wrote:
Joe Biden wrote: There are actually quite a few students at RU-Camden who are 2 and 3Ls from the West Coast. All of them have very good summer associate positions that will likely lead to employment.
Lead to employment where? I don't doubt that if i go to RCU i can find a good job on the east coast, I'm more worried about bring that degree over to the pacific side.

Look at the school's statistics on their web page. Roughly 6 students per year for the past couple of years have made it to California. It is doable. I am not too worried. I was also reassured by some students and admissions when I visited that they have a good number of students from California and most end up back.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:01 am

I posted pictures on the facebook group. Check them out!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I posted pictures on the facebook group. Check them out!!!

Lol you would take 100 pictures of old Philly....and a couple of Rutgers haha. Ill be up there next week, so Im glad I only have to visit the school and not Independence Hall :P

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Did any of you receive confirmation that your seat deposit was received? Should I be worried?

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 pm

ellebee wrote:Did any of you receive confirmation that your seat deposit was received? Should I be worried?

Ya...green form with a label on it; stated that my place was reserved in the 3 year, full-time program. Just call and ask to see wattup.

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm

oh fooie...
thanks =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Yeah I received confirmation as well, blue sheet for me. I wouldn't worry though since there is a spot for "didn't receive deposit" so one would assume you'd get something either way. Like dp said though, I'd definitely call.

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

I'll definitely call. I tend to forget that it's 3 hours ahead over there! thanks for the info guys.

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Whoever that 1L is that snagged the last studio at The Victor - damn you! :x

It's hard corresponding with agents when its not personal.

bucknell09

New

Post by bucknell09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 pm

whats the trick to establishing a residency in NJ for the last two years of school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:55 pm

dp73816 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I posted pictures on the facebook group. Check them out!!!

Lol you would take 100 pictures of old Philly....and a couple of Rutgers haha. Ill be up there next week, so Im glad I only have to visit the school and not Independence Hall :P

You know I am all about US History!

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 pm

bucknell09 wrote:whats the trick to establishing a residency in NJ for the last two years of school?

pay rent in NJ and have a drivers license in NJ.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

You know I am all about US History!

Cracked from the same egg my friend.

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm

bucknell09 wrote:whats the trick to establishing a residency in NJ for the last two years of school?
Are you taking a summer course? If you are, you can get in-state for all three years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”