How would the future lawyering-set handle such a thing? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
bignoseknowsnoes

New

How would the future lawyering-set handle such a thing?

Post by bignoseknowsnoes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Many of you may be on facebook; today I found this questionable nugget (below) posted as a "friend's" status. I generally ignore things of this nature but I was wondering if any of you have the energy/will to confront such statements and authors for any number or reasons.

I've been down this road before where I tried to engage the type of person who would write/post something like this in objective discussion and it always ends in their insanity being amplified. For example, I might say, "don't you think we should consider and investigate the policies or agendas which lead us into war instead of simply "supporting" our troops?" You see where I'm going with this. My urge is to say something like "world-view fail" or "read a book, not just fox news" but I don't want to be an asshole.

The quintessential type defined by the type of poster below will almost always respond by labelling any anti-war rhetoric as communism, of course. I barely have the energy to try with these types anymore, but at the same time, I don't want to be a quitter. My question is this, how would you all respond to someone who is supposed to be your friend, but writes something as stupid as this? (below) Please advise.

"Color of your bra made the news BUT WILL THIS? Lets support our Troops. If you support our Troops then please post this on your status and leave it there for one hour. There should be no excuses from anyone!!!!! This should appear in everyone's status! Please do this for the ones that make this the Land of the Free... and the Home of the brave. Go USA!!"

evilxs

Bronze

Re: How would the future lawyering-set handle such a thing?

Post by evilxs » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 am

You're wasting brain power thinking twice about it. They probably saw it on a friend of their's status thought hey I support troops and copied and paste and didn't think anything else about it.

Seriously, we all have more important things to worry about and if you're gonna be a 1L you do too.

Focus your energy on the things that matter in life and ignore the things that don't :)

Making the two responses you posted here would make you seem like an asshole as you put it so eloquently. We are stewards of our own lives and gain nothing from tearing down the happiness, even if misguided in your opinion, of those around us.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 am

I knew a girl who would always post "End this BS war! Bring our troops home now!" Which I always found funny for the following reasons:

a) She was engaged to a soldier
b) She knew he was a soldier and would be going off to war before they started dating
c) He voluntarily enlisted during wartime
d) There's no draft

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am

our troops dont choose which war they are going to fight. they dont care about the reasons. even if, or especially if, you dont support the war, you sohuld support the troops fighting it (insomuch as you support them not being blown up). at least thats the idea behind those types of posts.. that said, if this type of thing is a huge priority in your life you need to reevaluate some things..

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 pm

bignoseknowsnoes wrote:Many of you may be on facebook; today I found this questionable nugget (below) posted as a "friend's" status. I generally ignore things of this nature but I was wondering if any of you have the energy/will to confront such statements and authors for any number or reasons.

I've been down this road before where I tried to engage the type of person who would write/post something like this in objective discussion and it always ends in their insanity being amplified. For example, I might say, "don't you think we should consider and investigate the policies or agendas which lead us into war instead of simply "supporting" our troops?" You see where I'm going with this. My urge is to say something like "world-view fail" or "read a book, not just fox news" but I don't want to be an asshole.

The quintessential type defined by the type of poster below will almost always respond by labelling any anti-war rhetoric as communism, of course. I barely have the energy to try with these types anymore, but at the same time, I don't want to be a quitter. My question is this, how would you all respond to someone who is supposed to be your friend, but writes something as stupid as this? (below) Please advise.

"Color of your bra made the news BUT WILL THIS? Lets support our Troops. If you support our Troops then please post this on your status and leave it there for one hour. There should be no excuses from anyone!!!!! This should appear in everyone's status! Please do this for the ones that make this the Land of the Free... and the Home of the brave. Go USA!!"
objectively speaking, the troops had nothing to do with the policies and agenda's behind the war. Whether or not I support the war I feel that i can actively support the individual men and women serving.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 pm

People who post such things do it so that other people will like them.

Step One: Identify majority viewpoint.
Step Two: Conform.
Step Three: ???
Step Four: Profit.

Try not to read anything more into it than that.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

eudaimondaimon wrote:People who post such things do it so that other people will like them.

Step One: Identify majority viewpoint.
Step Two: Conform.
Step Three: ???
Step Four: Profit.

Try not to read anything more into it than that.
??? = Sell bumper stickers.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 pm

This thread has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this forum. And it sucks, too.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Seriously.....someone just pasted a mass comment on your wall and you get that emotionally involved......
HBK wrote:I knew a girl who would always post "End this BS war! Bring our troops home now!" Which I always found funny for the following reasons:

a) She was engaged to a soldier
b) She knew he was a soldier and would be going off to war before they started dating
c) He voluntarily enlisted during wartime
d) There's no draft
Haha that is me to a tee. a-d that is.....but you can't help who you fall in love with, and you have to support their decision to represent this country, regardless of how you may individually feel about the war itself. Also, it SUCKS having your man overseas.....just sayin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:27 pm

thickfreakness wrote:This thread has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this forum. And it sucks, too.
+1

I answered it because we have hardly any threads in this forum yet.

Oh the boredom of 0L waiting. :evil:

PopCopyManager

New

Post by PopCopyManager » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 pm

thickfreakness wrote:This thread has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this forum. And it sucks, too.

Agreed. Although I am biased as a servicemember, I find it absolutely revolting when people pickett at soldier's funerals, welcome-home ceremonies, etc. You might not like the war, (and at this point, who can say they do?) but to target the individuals on the front lines (or their supporters) who are legitimately risking their lives is absolutely laudable.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:You might not like the war, (and at this point, who can say they do?) but to target the individuals on the front lines (or their supporters) who are legitimately risking their lives is absolutely laudable.
--ImageRemoved--

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:

Agreed. Although I am biased as a servicemember, I find it absolutely revolting when people pickett at soldier's funerals, welcome-home ceremonies, etc. You might not like the war, (and at this point, who can say they do?) but to target the individuals on the front lines (or their supporters) who are legitimately risking their lives is absolutely [strike]laudable[/strike] detestable.
fixed that for you.

although, not sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm

"don't you think we should consider and investigate the policies or agendas which lead us into war instead of simply "supporting" our troops?"

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. One can question the policies and agendas which lead us to war, yet still provide our soldiers with the necessary help and supplies they need, as well as hope and pray for their safe return. In fact, i think it is your unfair assumption that, just because your friend strongly urges others to support the troops, that he doesn't question the policies and agenda of those who planned it out. Hell, I question those policies quite often, yet that doesn't stop me from wishing the absolute best for each and every man and woman out there fighting for us.
Last edited by dakatz on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

dakatz wrote:"don't you think we should consider and investigate the policies or agendas which lead us into war instead of simply "supporting" our troops?"

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. One can question the policies and agendas which lead us to war, yet still provide our soldiers with the necessary help and supplies they need, as well as hope and pray for their safe return. In fact, i think it is your unfair assumption that, just because your friend strongly urges others to support the troops, that he doesn't question the policies and agenda of those who planned it out. Hell, I question those policies quite often, yet that doesn't stop me from wishing the absolute best for each and every man and woman out there fighting for us.
Well said.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”