UNC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
juliusgirlie

New

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Post by juliusgirlie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:14 am

Favor2010 wrote:Has anyone else mailed in their seat deposits to UNC? I mailed my deposit on March 2nd. I received an-email the next day confirming receipt of my deposit. However, it has been over a month now, and UNC still has not cashed the check for my seat deposit. I assume most schools would be making those deposits right away.

I called them up and asked. They submit the checks as they are received to the finance department and that department then deposits them. The nice guy I talked to said it usually takes a couple of weeks for them to process and deposit. I submitted my check a week and a half ago, and I'm still waiting.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 am

Mailed mine in yesterday. See you guys and girls in the fall.

Favor2010

New

Post by Favor2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:41 pm

juliusgirlie wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Has anyone else mailed in their seat deposits to UNC? I mailed my deposit on March 2nd. I received an-email the next day confirming receipt of my deposit. However, it has been over a month now, and UNC still has not cashed the check for my seat deposit. I assume most schools would be making those deposits right away.

I called them up and asked. They submit the checks as they are received to the finance department and that department then deposits them. The nice guy I talked to said it usually takes a couple of weeks for them to process and deposit. I submitted my check a week and a half ago, and I'm still waiting.
Thanks for the update. 5 weeks and counting :)

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Happy to be joining this thread! I was recently admitted! See you all in the fall!

Favor2010

New

Post by Favor2010 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:09 am

landlocked wrote:Happy to be joining this thread! I was recently admitted! See you all in the fall!
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcrojas

New

Post by jcrojas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 am

I'm in and I'm going. I sent one application and received one acceptance.

I hope to start room/roommate shopping this coming weekend. I'm not sure where I'll live yet. Who's planning on getting their own place and who's planning on having a roommate?

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 am

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I figured this would be a good place to start posting since I am definitely to going UNC this fall. I look forward to meeting you all.

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:15 am

Merr wrote:Hello, I am new to this forum.

I figured this would be a good place to start posting since I am definitely to going UNC this fall. I look forward to meeting you all.

Welcome aboard. See you in the fall.

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Anyone know when the first day of class is? Housing application states academic year starting on August 4th, but is that when classes start? I cannot seem to find anything more on this. The calender on their main website has nothing for August yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ZeroEll

New

Post by ZeroEll » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:56 pm

jss1100 wrote:Anyone know when the first day of class is? Housing application states academic year starting on August 4th, but is that when classes start? I cannot seem to find anything more on this. The calender on their main website has nothing for August yet.
I emailed them about this a few weeks back, and was told that classes begin Aug. 30, but orientation will be the week before (don't know the dates for orientation).

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:49 pm

ZeroEll wrote:
jss1100 wrote:Anyone know when the first day of class is? Housing application states academic year starting on August 4th, but is that when classes start? I cannot seem to find anything more on this. The calender on their main website has nothing for August yet.
I emailed them about this a few weeks back, and was told that classes begin Aug. 30, but orientation will be the week before (don't know the dates for orientation).
Orientation starts on August 25th, IIRC.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:43 pm

mytwocents wrote: Orientation starts on August 25th, IIRC.
That is what I have heard.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey guys, I tried to post this question in the other thread without any luck, maybe I'll get some better love here. I've been admitted a while ago and was wondering if anyone could help me with a financial aid question.

Situation:
I received an incomplete financial aid application notice because they needed proof that I was a citizen. The email also stated that I will not be considered for any aid until my financial aid application is complete. The email noted that aid will be given out on an availability basis. I received this notice a month ago, and have sent my proof of citizenship today.

Question:

Am I screwed because I didn't provide proof right away? Could this have deterred them from offering me a merit scholarship? Or is the financial aid application irrelevant to scholarship determination?

If it helps, I'm above both 75ths. I'm just wondering if UNC didn't consider me for any aid because of my own error, or because they just ran out of money.

Any help would be appreciated!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dispatch

New

Post by dispatch » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

solotee wrote:Hey guys, I tried to post this question in the other thread without any luck, maybe I'll get some better love here. I've been admitted a while ago and was wondering if anyone could help me with a financial aid question.

Situation:
I received an incomplete financial aid application notice because they needed proof that I was a citizen. The email also stated that I will not be considered for any aid until my financial aid application is complete. The email noted that aid will be given out on an availability basis. I received this notice a month ago, and have sent my proof of citizenship today.

Question:

Am I screwed because I didn't provide proof right away? Could this have deterred them from offering me a merit scholarship? Or is the financial aid application irrelevant to scholarship determination?

If it helps, I'm above both 75ths. I'm just wondering if UNC didn't consider me for any aid because of my own error, or because they just ran out of money.

Do you mean your FAFSA application? I don't think a financial aid application would have any bearing on merit scholarships; and I'm pretty sure UNC doesn't give out need-based scholarships, although someone should correct me if I'm wrong about that. I think everyone is still waiting on hearing about federal loan information, so you're not too far behind on that.

I did get an email a few weeks ago saying that they were still working on loan stuff. It also said that they had pretty much given out all of the merit scholarships they were going to give, but if you're above both 75th's I'd be surprised if you didn't receive anything. You should email UNC; they've been responsive to all of my questions, and they should be able to help you more than I can.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 pm

dispatch wrote:
solotee wrote:Hey guys, I tried to post this question in the other thread without any luck, maybe I'll get some better love here. I've been admitted a while ago and was wondering if anyone could help me with a financial aid question.

Situation:

Question:

Do you mean your FAFSA application? I don't think a financial aid application would have any bearing on merit scholarships; and I'm pretty sure UNC doesn't give out need-based scholarships, although someone should correct me if I'm wrong about that. I think everyone is still waiting on hearing about federal loan information, so you're not too far behind on that.

I did get an email a few weeks ago saying that they were still working on loan stuff. It also said that they had pretty much given out all of the merit scholarships they were going to give, but if you're above both 75th's I'd be surprised if you didn't receive anything. You should email UNC; they've been responsive to all of my questions, and they should be able to help you more than I can.
Being above both 75ths isn't much help. I was above both and know a couple of others who were as well (all in-state) -- none of us received any type of scholarship. It seems that they just REALLY limited the number of scholarships this year. Just thought I'd mention it so that you don't count on any money (but hopefully you will get some anyway!).

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by solotee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 pm

solotee wrote:I admit I'm pretty dissapointed, as I am sure most of you are, for not getting any type of merit aid. But I was prepared for it. And 3 years at UNC is roughly equal to one year at most private law schools, so that helps put things into perspective :)

Thanks for the responses!
That is what I figure. In my case, in-state tuition made UNC more affordable then several of the places I did get merit aid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Just bought a house about 20 minutes north of the Law School, right next to Eno River State Park. Pretty much closes the deal for all waitlist, but at least i get the $6,500 tax credit!!!!

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Sat May 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Hey folks! A few things-

-Loans: I spoke with Dean States and he gave me the info on financial aid and loans. It looks like the UNC Office of Financial Aid is a little behind (shockingly) on FAFSA applications. They have to process all the undergraduate packages before the get to the grad/prof students. He said we'll get info (hopefully) by the end of May concerning loans.

-Housing: I'm a UNC undergrad and am pretty familiar with housing in the area. If anyone needs help finding housing or wants suggestions, just let me know! I'd be happy to make some recommendations or give opinions on the areas nearby.

-Visiting: If anyone is visiting and wants restaurant recs, etc I'd also be happy to help! Feel free to shoot me a PM or respond here. I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 am

landlocked wrote:Hey folks! A few things-

-Loans: I spoke with Dean States and he gave me the info on financial aid and loans. It looks like the UNC Office of Financial Aid is a little behind (shockingly) on FAFSA applications. They have to process all the undergraduate packages before the get to the grad/prof students. He said we'll get info (hopefully) by the end of May concerning loans.

-Housing: I'm a UNC undergrad and am pretty familiar with housing in the area. If anyone needs help finding housing or wants suggestions, just let me know! I'd be happy to make some recommendations or give opinions on the areas nearby.

-Visiting: If anyone is visiting and wants restaurant recs, etc I'd also be happy to help! Feel free to shoot me a PM or respond here. I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!
Hey thanks for the offer! What would you recommend for housing? I will be in Chapel Hill in the next two weeks looking for a place to live nearby and away from undergrads. Any suggestions?

SweeneyTodd

New

Post by SweeneyTodd » Sun May 02, 2010 2:06 pm

landlocked wrote:Hey folks! A few things-

I received my financial aid award notification very late Friday night (April 30th) and I know another person that received theirs as well. It came via email and gave instructions on logging into your Onyen account to review the amount in loans you were awarded and all of the other important financial stuff. So hopefully people that submitted their FAFSA by the priority deadline will hear back within the next week or two and not too late!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Sun May 02, 2010 4:35 pm

solotee wrote:
Hey thanks for the offer! What would you recommend for housing? I will be in Chapel Hill in the next two weeks looking for a place to live nearby and away from undergrads. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Sure thing! There are a lot of good options in Chapel Hill:

Unfurnished:

1. Shadowood-really nice, not too many undergrads. A lot of the units are two floors and have an upper living room (which might be nice for an office).

2. Glen Lennox-Small condos that are a bit more expensive. It's also almost impossible to get a washer and dryer included. BUT, if you don't need a washer/dryer their small singles are an AWESOME deal and the closest thing you'll find to the law school.

3. On the MUCH more expensive side is Meadowmont. Close to the law school and really high-end. http://meadowmontapartments.com/index.asp

4. http://www.heelshousing.com/
A really great resource that the Daily Tar Heel has put together.

5. A really popular option in Chapel Hill is renting a small house (or portion of a house) from a private company. Most of these rentals are run through http://www.chapelhillrent.com/. Most years, I found my housing on ChapelHillRent or on Craigslist.

Furnished:

Your best furnished option in the area is Chapel Ridge. http://chapelhillstudenthousing.com/

The down side for Chapel Ridge are the undergrads. This is one of the most popular places for undergrads to live. But its generally quiet and the best of the furnished options.

Good neighborhoods/Areas:

-Carborro: A wonderful area, only down side is that it is far from the law school.

-Davie Circle: GREAT place to rent a house! Quiet neighborhood setting. Although there are undergrads, they are usually upperclassmen. A lot of senior citizens are there as well.

-Anything on Highway 54 will be close to the law school and easily accessible for the bus line.

Places NOT to live:

-Townhouse Apartments: "Where the party's at"

-The Verge: In my opinion, completely overpriced and so far from campus it's ridiculous. Their bus is not convenient. Only live here if you're planning to drive every day (more on parking later).

-Odum Villiage (on campus): Really old and not close to the law school. You probably won't get a parking spot, so you'll have to pay for parking elsewhere. You'll also have to go back to sleeping in an XL twin bed.

Parking:

Parking in Chapel Hill is difficult at best. There are very few spots located near the law school where you'll be able to rent parking. Usually parking is rented privately by house owners in the area. If you decide you want to find parking, PM me and I'll try to help you.

Areas that are good for law school parking:

-Gimgoul Villiage
-Ridge Road

Check craigslist, but let me know if you're trying for this. I'd be happy to offer more individual advice.

More questions are welcomed! Feel free to toss out specific places and I'll help in anyway I can!

JuiceMan

New

Post by JuiceMan » Sun May 23, 2010 2:07 am

Accepted. I look forward to meeting all of you in August.

If you are looking for a roommate please message me.

Center2450

New

Post by Center2450 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Does anyone know of housing that is close to campus as in close WALKING/biking distance. Landlocked, do you think those places you listed are all better despite the distance?

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Center2450 wrote:Does anyone know of housing that is close to campus as in close WALKING/biking distance. Landlocked, do you think those places you listed are all better despite the distance?
Glen Lennox is your place.

It is closest to the law school (definitely within biking distance and decently within walking distance). The bus stop is extremely convenient and runs from the apartments to the law school (I think non-stop). I like it so much, I decided to live there next year.

Check it out and if you don't like it, PM me and we'll come up with some alternative options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”