NY Law Employment FAIL? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY Law Employment FAIL?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Is there any Big Law firm that is willing to hire an 'future' NYU law grad w/ 3.0 Cumulative GPA? i know I am ranked at the bottom of the class, but how bad is it for me? I really wanted to work @ White and Case... but stories of burnouts have also given rise to a sublime fear in my soul... that I too will burnout! Should I consider going into another profession, maybe even moving?

Anonymous User

Re: NY Law Employment FAIL?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any Big Law firm that is willing to hire an 'future' NYU law grad w/ 3.0 Cumulative GPA? i know I am ranked at the bottom of the class, but how bad is it for me? I really wanted to work @ White and Case... but stories of burnouts have also given rise to a sublime fear in my soul... that I too will burnout! Should I consider going into another profession, maybe even moving?
You are at the bottom of the class and have a 3.0?

Jesus.

This grade inflation has to stop...

(hell, the bottom 5% at Georgetown get B-s and they are thinking of changing that curve to something better)

I'm at a T1 private school where the first year median grade is between 2.7 and a 2.98 (this is why I posted anonymously)...

and all of the scholarships the school gives out require a 3.0 (even if you have like a 180 and a 4.0)....

In regard to your question, you are essentially out of big law (barring a strong family connection to a particular firm).

It works like this:

1) Your first semester grades lead to first summer job.
2) Your first year grades lead to second summer job.
3) Second summer job (at a big firm) leads to permanent employment at said firm.

You dropped the ball at number 1 I assume.

What does this mean?
1) Your 2L and 3L grades don't matter much
2) If your first semester is significantly below median (or even close to it on either side), you will not be able to correct it enough for big law (at all schools in this economy; while it may be self selection at HYS, it's still true)
3) It's unfortunate that you ended up in your situation.

I strongly dislike the way law schools and legal employers play games with people.

But you did this to yourself.

You knew the risks, gambled, and lost.

However, I can only hope that you didn't take out too many loans.

My advice is just to finish with the degree and use it to help you break into a business field.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Damn... I knew I should have worked harder, but so much can get in the way... I am thinking about about moving back to my home state of Maryland and finishing my degree at a place that will give me a full scholarship (University of Baltimore Law School anyone?). I hope they give me a full scholarship... the good thing is that I have taken out no loans, as I don't believe in 'risky' loans. That might be the only bright side to my entire gamble!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 pm

How do you have grades already?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:How do you have grades already?

Just my grades so far... as a 1L movin' on to a 2L. Most prob. won't do better than 1L (maybe .2 GPA boost...).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Do you go to NYLS or NYU? I'm a little confused by the thread title combined with your first post. I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about your chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:33 pm

kurama20 wrote:Do you go to NYLS or NYU? I'm a little confused by the thread title combined with your first post. I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about your chances.
I said NY b/c NYU is in New York State. But if you all want to discuss the utter monstrosity that is NYLS (a lot people call it a "TTT", but its an okay school if you go w/ a half-full scholarship), be my guest.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:How do you have grades already?

Just my grades so far... as a 1L movin' on to a 2L. Most prob. won't do better than 1L (maybe .2 GPA boost...).
DESCRIBE your experiences at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”