The Big Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ThriveITE

New

The Big Question

Post by ThriveITE » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Despite being a shameless TLS lurker, can anyone discuss with me the the actual chances of securing employment for class of 2012? I see post after post of the same flame, fear, and hypotheticals here on TLS but very few reasoned opinions. While surely nobody knows the future, I'm reaching out to someone who has more experience or expertise than myself.

To kick off discussion, here is me:
BSEE
3 Years Patent Experience (USPTO/Firm)
T2 Law School (IP Law)

Is there any precedent for what will happen to all the deferred graduates and laid off associates? Is there any credibility to the common notion that IP will be less affected? Is paying sticker anywhere a good idea ITE? I'm sure there are others like me who are shaking in their boots.

Any opinions?

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: The Big Question

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Sticker at Yale remains a solid choice.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

ThriveITE wrote:Despite being a shameless TLS lurker, can anyone discuss with me the the actual chances of securing employment for class of 2012? I see post after post of the same flame, fear, and hypotheticals here on TLS but very few reasoned opinions. While surely nobody knows the future, I'm reaching out to someone who has more experience or expertise than myself.

To kick off discussion, here is me:
BSEE
3 Years Patent Experience (USPTO/Firm)
T2 Law School (IP Law)

Is there any precedent for what will happen to all the deferred graduates and laid off associates? Is there any credibility to the common notion that IP will be less affected? Is paying sticker anywhere a good idea ITE? I'm sure there are others like me who are shaking in their boots.

Any opinions?
The idea that "IP is not suffering as bad as other practice areas" just means that there haven't been as many layoffs.

HIRING has just about been cut in half at law firms. IP firms are no exception.

ThriveITE

New

Post by ThriveITE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for your replies. I guess there is no easy answer here.

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:41 pm

CE2JD wrote:
ThriveITE wrote:The idea that "IP is not suffering as bad as other practice areas" just means that there haven't been as many layoffs.

HIRING has just about been cut in half at law firms. IP firms are no exception.
This is what I've heard from other IP job seekers as well. 2 anecdotes that may or may not have any use to you (I'm anon-ing in case my friends would be upset with me citing them as examples):

'08 grad from T2 school (not known for IP)
Engineering undergrad
Worked for 6-8 months at medium-sized IP boutique firm, laid off due to lack of work
Has not been able to find full-time IP work since layoff (has been at least six months, I think)
Currently "clerking" (aka glorified paralegal/doc review, not actually practicing) part-time for a small (at most 3 lawyers) IP firm

May '09 grad from Top 5 IP LLM program
Practiced for 2 years in non-IP specialty before LLM
Grad from T2 school (not known for IP)
Chemistry undergrad
Has not been able to find full-time IP work before or since graduation (doesn't want to go back to old specialty)
- said LLM school's OCS was completely useless
Currently doing doc review contract gigs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”