networking Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: networking

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Scenario for you all.

What if we're talking an NYC boutique firm. ~10 attorneys, but they do real estate law and have some pretty big clients/deals over the last five years.

The guy with his name on the door of one of those firms is writing me a LOR for my app to his law school this fall. I've coached his son for three years, the kid loves me, family has always been very interested in my law school path, and dad has talked to me about summer employment prospects.

How realistic is this scenario? It's certainly not something I'm banking on. I'd imagine it would have something to do with need and available of a position on their part, since the firm is relatively small.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Scenario for you all.

What if we're talking an NYC boutique firm. ~10 attorneys, but they do real estate law and have some pretty big clients/deals over the last five years.

The guy with his name on the door of one of those firms is writing me a LOR for my app to his law school this fall. I've coached his son for three years, the kid loves me, family has always been very interested in my law school path, and dad has talked to me about summer employment prospects.

How realistic is this scenario? It's certainly not something I'm banking on. I'd imagine it would have something to do with need and available of a position on their part, since the firm is relatively small.
Its realstic, but you need to make a conciouse effort of keeping in conatct with him while your in school, at least once a month by e-mail if your not local. Also remember its not just him your making contacts with, but if he likes you, everyone he knows as well. So while you may not end up at HIS firm likley he can recomnd you to others who might need help in the future. Just keep the conatcts going, make a point of keeping him updated, asking for advice, and just staying in touch. Don't ask for anything YET, build the relationship between you and him between now and this time next year so he will OFFER before you ask, to help you.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:01 pm

you should neither burn bridges nor put all your eggs in one basket...

BAM!! 2 cliches in one sentence

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:10 pm

you should neither burn bridges nor put all your eggs in one basket...

BAM!! 2 cliches in one sentence
But does the early bird get the worm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Matthies wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Scenario for you all.

Its realstic, but you need to make a conciouse effort of keeping in conatct with him while your in school, at least once a month by e-mail if your not local. Also remember its not just him your making contacts with, but if he likes you, everyone he knows as well. So while you may not end up at HIS firm likley he can recomnd you to others who might need help in the future. Just keep the conatcts going, make a point of keeping him updated, asking for advice, and just staying in touch. Don't ask for anything YET, build the relationship between you and him between now and this time next year so he will OFFER before you ask, to help you.
Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking. I know he's worked at two large firms before starting his own, he's been wildly successful, and he seems to be really well connected all over the city. Our relationship has been very friendly for quite some time, so I'm hopeful that I can help cultivate it some more over the next couple of years.

You'd be amazed how well people treat you if you're good to their kids in some capacity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:18 am

You'd be amazed how well people treat you if you're good to [strike]their kids in some capacity.[/strike] them before they know you need something in return.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:You'd be amazed how well people treat you if you're good to [strike]their kids in some capacity.[/strike] them before they know you need something in return.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”