Jobs with the FBI/CIA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vendetta

New

Re: Jobs with the FBI/CIA

Post by Vendetta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:27 pm

GeePee wrote:
Vendetta wrote:You would think the FBI would probably judge pushups harshly, but that's just my opinion. I did have a friend who did the physical examinations for the various military academies (ended up doing Air Force), who said they were pretty strict about full sit ups/pull ups/ just in general good form. Not the same thing, I know, but maybe worth the comparison.

On a slightly different note, anyone feel these tests are skewed towards skinny people? I would consider myself able to score in the 7-10 range on all of these, but I only weigh ~140 pounds. I don't know exactly what FBI agents do, and the website is pretty vague about it, but I still feel it's kind of strange that the only real strength test is push ups. Then again, I guess they know the demands of their own jobs better than I do. Just thinking out loud.
I don't know; once you get up to the high point values it gets pretty tough. 71 good form push-ups is a fucking ton, but on the other hand running a mile and a half in 9 minutes is not hard at all. Although there is only 1 "strength" test, it is definitely the hardest one to accumulate points in.
Yeah true, although since push ups require you to work against your won weight, they are only a relative indicator of strength anyways. Either way, I looked back at the website, and found the cumulative number of points over the four events required to "pass": 12; with a minimum of one point in each event. So I guess if you're a fast skinny guy who can do 30 push ups (not hard), you're in? Even if you split the 12 points evenly, it takes 43 sit ups in a minute, a 49.4 second 300 meter sprint, 40 push ups, and 1.5 miles in 11:34. Doesn't sound too hard...

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Vendetta wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Vendetta wrote:You would think the FBI would probably judge pushups harshly, but that's just my opinion. I did have a friend who did the physical examinations for the various military academies (ended up doing Air Force), who said they were pretty strict about full sit ups/pull ups/ just in general good form. Not the same thing, I know, but maybe worth the comparison.

On a slightly different note, anyone feel these tests are skewed towards skinny people? I would consider myself able to score in the 7-10 range on all of these, but I only weigh ~140 pounds. I don't know exactly what FBI agents do, and the website is pretty vague about it, but I still feel it's kind of strange that the only real strength test is push ups. Then again, I guess they know the demands of their own jobs better than I do. Just thinking out loud.
I don't know; once you get up to the high point values it gets pretty tough. 71 good form push-ups is a fucking ton, but on the other hand running a mile and a half in 9 minutes is not hard at all. Although there is only 1 "strength" test, it is definitely the hardest one to accumulate points in.
Yeah true, although since push ups require you to work against your won weight, they are only a relative indicator of strength anyways. Either way, I looked back at the website, and found the cumulative number of points over the four events required to "pass": 12; with a minimum of one point in each event. So I guess if you're a fast skinny guy who can do 30 push ups (not hard), you're in? Even if you split the 12 points evenly, it takes 43 sit ups in a minute, a 49.4 second 300 meter sprint, 40 push ups, and 1.5 miles in 11:34. Doesn't sound too hard...
why are we still talking about push ups? i don't think the physical is that rigorous.

Vendetta

New

Post by Vendetta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:32 pm

why are we still talking about push ups? i don't think the physical is that rigorous.
Dunno, just passing the time being away from my SO/family on Thanksgiving :(

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm extremely interested in the FBI/CIA but I'm Canadian, so it'll probably remain a dream.

Though, don't FBI agents get paid about 50-60k a year?

That's meager, and crap pay imho. Wouldn't sacrifice biglaw for it.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Keile wrote:I'm extremely interested in the FBI/CIA but I'm Canadian, so it'll probably remain a dream.

Well I don't think people go into that line of work for the salary, but seeing as you're extremley interested in it...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Keile wrote:I'm extremely interested in the FBI/CIA but I'm Canadian, so it'll probably remain a dream.
The question is why if you are Canadian are you extremely interested in defending American interest. Instead of the CIA you can look into the CSIS, Canadian Security Intelligence Service, or instead of FBI the RCMP, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Edit: And before I am yelled at by a Mod, I know it looks like I am abusing the Anonymous Post function, but it is more that I prefer my user name not be tied to certain Google Search results, since I am fairly open about my identity on these boards.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The question is why if you are Canadian are you extremely interested in defending American interest. Instead of the CIA you can look into the CSIS, Canadian Security Intelligence Service, or instead of FBI the RCMP, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Edit: And before I am yelled at by a Mod, I know it looks like I am abusing the Anonymous Post function, but it is more that I prefer my user name not be tied to certain Google Search results, since I am fairly open about my identity on these boards.
?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:31 pm

ejjones wrote: ?
If the question is the the first part of my post, those are the Canadian equivalents to the agencies they are interested in.

If the question is to the second part, some mods have yelled at people before for using the anonymous post feature when they are not giving out personal details. I was just stating my rationale as to why I am using it. Everything on TLS ends up on google, and I just prefer that my usernames not be associated with certain keywords in google search results. It paranoia I know, but I just prefer it that way.

JD'izzle

New

Post by JD'izzle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ejjones wrote: ?
If the question is the the first part of my post, those are the Canadian equivalents to the agencies they are interested in.

If the question is to the second part, some mods have yelled at people before for using the anonymous post feature when they are not giving out personal details. I was just stating my rationale as to why I am using it. Everything on TLS ends up on google, and I just prefer that my usernames not be associated with certain keywords in google search results. It paranoia I know, but I just prefer it that way.
Yeah that's pretty paranoid. Who's going to spend the effort to look up what you're posting on online forums anyway? I mean, unless you're an escaped felon or somehting

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You're embarrassed to be associated with Canada?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:36 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're embarrassed to be associated with Canada?
HA :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:41 pm

If you're willing to give up your Canadian citizenship to become a full-fledged American, you'll be fine.

Starting attorneys at CIA get paid in the mid-60's (GS 11, Step 4, adjusted for locality pay in DC).

http://opm.gov/oca/09tables/html/dcb.asp

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 am

The federal government hires attorneys fresh out of law school at the GS-11 rate. A year-long clerkship or an LLM will bump it up to GS-12 to start. I haven't checked whether or not the CIA does it differently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:04 am

wow, i kinda wish i took the physical fitness test when i was in 5th grade, when we took those presidential physical fitness tests (and i rocked mine and got one of those award thingies)

generals10

New

Post by generals10 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:01 am

HerseyChris wrote:
Brawndo wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote: As for the physical, it looked pretty damn easy to me. 300 meter 'sprint' in 50 seconds is a pace I can hold for an entire mile, and I'm not even a good athlete.
So you're saying you can run a sub-4:30 mile and you're "not a good athlete?" Hmmm...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:11 pm

generals10 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
Brawndo wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote: As for the physical, it looked pretty damn easy to me. 300 meter 'sprint' in 50 seconds is a pace I can hold for an entire mile, and I'm not even a good athlete.
So you're saying you can run a sub-4:30 mile and you're "not a good athlete?" Hmmm...
:lol:

Someone is either a REALLY good athlete, or a really poor estimator of their own speed.

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:11 am

The quotes have gotten mixed up. I never wrote anything about my run time, which is significantly slower than 4:30 for one mile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:23 am

Renzo wrote:
generals10 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote: As for the physical, it looked pretty damn easy to me. 300 meter 'sprint' in 50 seconds is a pace I can hold for an entire mile, and I'm not even a good athlete.

Someone is either a REALLY good athlete, or a really poor estimator of their own speed.

Yeah, it was my quote. Sub 4:30 is correct, but I was not top 7 on my high school cross country team, and as a senior in a D3 college, I was routinely beaten by freshman. I also scored 0 points on my 8th grade basketball team, at a school where there was only 35 total kids in 8th grade. I would consider this to be not a good athlete, though I'm fairly certain I can get a full grade on the 4 FBI tests, and a full grade for the extra pull up test.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:30 am

HerseyChris wrote:
Renzo wrote:
generals10 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote: As for the physical, it looked pretty damn easy to me. 300 meter 'sprint' in 50 seconds is a pace I can hold for an entire mile, and I'm not even a good athlete.

Yeah, it was my quote. Sub 4:30 is correct, but I was not top 7 on my high school cross country team, and as a senior in a D3 college, I was routinely beaten by freshman. I also scored 0 points on my 8th grade basketball team, at a school where there was only 35 total kids in 8th grade. I would consider this to be not a good athlete, though I'm fairly certain I can get a full grade on the 4 FBI tests, and a full grade for the extra pull up test.
Anyone who can run a mile under 4:30 is a good athlete. Maybe not pro material, maybe not even competitive, but you aren't trying out for the Knicks!

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:46 am

Ha, yeah, because they all can run a mile under 4:30. Have you ever taken a look at some of the MLB players? But seriously, some of the pro athletes are some of the laziest jerk offs. I don't think long distance endurance of that magnitude is a very high priority for many of them, their trainers or managers. You'd think so though. I'd guess that NHL/pro soccer players have really high endurance, or at least it's extremely essential to their game. Obviously excluding various other, less popular professional sports.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:47 am

Brawndo wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote:I knew a couple people who went this route after leaving the military. You should know that the process takes a long time and involves a thorough background check with a polygraph test.
I imagine it does

What's good is that the FBI is also looking for civilians, not just former LEOs and ex-military. Hell, you can have a CPA and never handled a gun in your life and still make it in if you're good enough and pass the background checks
The FBI, 12,000 armed accountants.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I am pretty interested in this as well. But I wonder how much more competitive these FBI/CIA positions will be among JDs since the legal market is so terrible.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:38 pm

swheat wrote:I am pretty interested in this as well. But I wonder how much more competitive these FBI/CIA positions will be among JDs since the legal market is so terrible.
Given the lengthy and relatively difficult hiring process and the nature of the work, I don't expect it will be much harder to get these jobs than it already is (which is already pretty tough).

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Working with a bunch of FBI agents and admin folks they seem to love it. Their passion for the job is unbelievable and it seems like a kick ass community to be a round (not to mention being able to carry your glock EVERYWHERE)

Having said that, those jobs depend on what you want to do. Great thing about Feds, is some will be 100% of your loans (ICE and a few other DHS depts will do the same) though not exactly sure about the FBI.

Also,the FBI likes folks with W/E. Most FBI agents are NOT mid twenties out of law school. They've worked for a while and decided to use their analytical skills with the FBI.

Also, the cool thing about the FBI is you can move to diff departments with easy, in fact they encourage it. (move from CT, to internet predators, to WC crimes, etc)

Short end of the straw? If you decide to do it, you have 0 say in where you get located after training which really sucks.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Danggg... CIA Night Ops... sign me up, I think i'm changing careers:

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”