2Ls and 2010 Summer Offers (% of class w/offers) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legends159

Silver

Re: 2Ls and 2010 Summer Offers (% of class w/offers)

Post by legends159 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:30 pm

This thread is incredibly disheartening, and I'm not sure why people still want to go to LS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:07 pm

At Emory, roughly 25% have jobs, although when counting Vault jobs, that number is probably more like 10% (Emory usually places 1/3 in Vault firms). I would say at least 1/2 of the kids on the main law journal do not have jobs.

From what I've gathered, those who have jobs are mostly going to either New York or Atlanta. Normally, Emory places decently in D.C., but everyone who tried for jobs in DC got shut out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 pm

How did UVA do at OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:45 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Word on the street at NU is roughly 50%.
I have also heard this.
The NU dean had a meeting a few weeks ago and said the number was 60% - but I don't know how that was calculated or what it included.

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:15 pm

So everyone's over 50% except G-town... at ~30%?

That's... a gap.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:28 pm

So everyone's over 50% except G-town... at ~30%?

That's... a gap.
I strongly suspect others are being overly optimistic and/or assuming their peer group is representative of the class as a whole. Until the amlaw numbers come out, it's all just speculation at this point.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:04 pm

M51 wrote:So everyone's over 50% except G-town... at ~30%?

That's... a gap.
One thing to keep in mind though is that since GULC is so big, it would take a lot more of their students getting jobs for them to hit a 50 percent or higher success rate than the other schools. Aren't there more people below median at Georgetown than in Cornell, Duke,Stanford, Yale, or Chicago's entire classes'?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:11 pm

word on the street at nyu is at ~100 students are still looking. class is 450. who knows how many people were looking at PI/gov't this whole time, or gave up early on the search, but my # is pretty reliable (it's not just anecdotal/survey of friends). not too shabby i suppose

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:31 pm

From what I heard from our (Duke's) Career Services, I think the number of students with jobs is more like 2/3. I'd say 3/4 of my friends have a job, a small percentage of which are midlaw or government/clerkships. I think we really benefited from a small class size. I accepted an offer at a V100 firm who flat out told me they wanted someone from Duke, and that I was 1 of 2 applicants from Duke.

There is still that 1/3 though that is very disconcerting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 pm

So...

Columbia - ??
Chicago - 66%
NYU - 80%
Penn - 60%
Michigan - ??
Virginia - 50%
Northwestern - 60%
Duke - 66%
Cornell - 50%
GULC - 25%

USC - 30%
Emory - 25%
Last edited by rondemarino on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I heard from our (Duke's) Career Services, I think the number of students with jobs is more like 2/3. I'd say 3/4 of my friends have a job, a small percentage of which are midlaw or government/clerkships. I think we really benefited from a small class size. I accepted an offer at a V100 firm who flat out told me they wanted someone from Duke, and that I was 1 of 2 applicants from Duke.

This is why I hate the fact that Duke is thrown in the same tier as G-town. It's not even close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers came out to 99% for all the aforementioned schools in the official reports ;)

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I heard from our (Duke's) Career Services, I think the number of students with jobs is more like 2/3. I'd say 3/4 of my friends have a job, a small percentage of which are midlaw or government/clerkships. I think we really benefited from a small class size. I accepted an offer at a V100 firm who flat out told me they wanted someone from Duke, and that I was 1 of 2 applicants from Duke.

This is why I hate the fact that Duke is thrown in the same tier as G-town. It's not even close.
TITCR. Duke is really more on par with Penn than it is with GULC. GULC and Cornell are more or less peers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Speaking anecdotally of UVA students. The offers don't seem to be directly tied to grades. There are a number of law review and near-top students who haven't gotten jobs and there are a number of average or slightly above average students with jobs. It is not only a hard market, but it seems pretty unpredictable in terms of who is getting offers.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:46 pm

kurama20 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

TITCR. Duke is really more on par with Penn than it is with GULC. GULC and Cornell are more or less peers.
Stuff like this cracks me up. Tiers within tiers within tiers. Duke's numbers don't seem radically different from NU's, UVA's or Cornell's. We're talking unconfirmed rumors here and "2/3" could easily be 60% and "about half" could easily be 55%. Converse is obviously true. So this sub-sub-Tier stuff based off of this seems like a bit much.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 pm

rondemarino wrote:So...

Columbia - ??
Chicago - 66%
NYU - 80%
Penn - 60%
Michigan - ??
Virginia - 50%
Northwestern - 60%
Duke - 66%
Cornell - 50%
GULC - 25%

USC - 30%
Emory - 25%
While I know this is going off just what others have said in this thread, when looking at these numbers all together, it looks a little fishy that there is that much range in there. Although I have no info to disprove it.

Any word on places like GW (which just suffered that rankings plummet) or UCLA or Texas (near T14s)?

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:53 pm

rondemarino wrote:Stuff like this cracks me up. Tiers within tiers within tiers. Duke's numbers don't seem radically different from NU's, UVA's or Cornell's. We're talking unconfirmed rumors here and "2/3" could easily be 60% and "about half" could easily be 55%. Converse is obviously true. So this sub-sub-Tier stuff based off of this seems like a bit much.
Saying that Duke is on par with Penn is not a "tier within a tier" comment. It's moving Duke up or moving Penn down, or moving GULC down. GULC is in a strange position of not really being on the same level as any other top 14 simply because it has about the same rep as Cornell and Duke but with a much larger class size, and without a home market where it is given consideration over most other schools. And honestly when you look at Duke's employment stats etc. from previous years it's not really too different from Penn--and the rep scores are the same. Yet it's employment stats are considerably stronger than GULC. The thing that keeps me from saying Mich, Boalt, and UVA are above Duke is the rep scores and clerkship rates. Even those schools don't have law firm employment stats that really beat out Duke by much (if at all).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

march319

New

Post by march319 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:02 pm

thedogship wrote: I wasn't top 10% at GULC (closer to top 1/3), nor am i a minority, but I had other things on my resume that made up for grades.
How are most URMs facing with job offers? Does URM status actually matter when the economy is this bad? Grades?

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:13 pm

march319 wrote:
thedogship wrote: I wasn't top 10% at GULC (closer to top 1/3), nor am i a minority, but I had other things on my resume that made up for grades.
How are most URMs facing with job offers? Does URM status actually matter when the economy is this bad? Grades?
That's a great question that I don't have the answer to, but I assume that since diversity still matters to firms even in a recession, that URM status still helped some applicants to a certain degree. Diversity is important like grades are important, I don't think you can just focus purely on grades when you trim your class size. I'm sure firms are still striving to get as talented and representative a class as possible, just on a smaller scale.

Curious of those people who got multiple offers - did anyone not go with the highest ranked firm? I turned down a very high ranking firm because I didn't think it was the right fit for me and chose one (still a V100) ranked a decent ways below it because it was a much better environment and had the practices I want to do. I guess I will always wonder what was the right choice or which will have the most benefit in the short/long term - prestige of the biggest name I got an offer from or less prestigious place that I might enjoy more. Now that I type this, I can see how to those who haven't gotten offers, I may sound like the world's biggest douche.

iceman12354

New

Post by iceman12354 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:44 pm

I turned down a V50 callback in NY because I honestly had little interest. I had personal reasons for choosing a non-major market, yet still ended up with a V100 offer which was nice. I think I was the exception though, most people I know went with whatever they got.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:07 am

As a Cornell 2L, I don't think we have any idea yet who has offers and who doesn't and I doubt we will until official numbers come out. We aren't talking about it really since it has been such a tough market. In my friend group I'd say about 60%-65% have an offer, but that isnt necessarily representative of the entire class.

I also know people that are happy with their DOJ offers, but might have preferred BigLaw had it been an option.

I think the numbers being thrown out there at this point are nothing more than educated guesses, at least at Cornell.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:41 am

I wasn't going to climb aboard the speculation train, since I have nothing more than anecdotes, but I'll chime in to answer the #15-30 question. Most of the 2Ls I know are on Law Review and had awesome grades, so they are fine. Top 6% at Fordham is still a comfortable place to be. According to FSSF, requests for summer PI stipends are up among 2Ls. That presumably means a decrease of about the same magnitude in biglaw hiring. I don't want to harass my friends or embarrass anyone who might not have a job (most of my friends are public interest kids, anyway, so they weren't gunning for SA spots). I suspect things were rough, but I will wait for official numbers, and let the board know what concrete information I can find out.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am

ntzsch wrote:Sorry to hi-jack the thread from itsT14 theme. But I would be grateful if any one has some of this info in relation to any of these:

UNC:
W&M:
W&L:
UGA:
Alabama:
Wake:

Or, would people agree that as you go down that list, employment #'s get worse?
No one at any of those schools will be employed at graduation.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Any info on HYS?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”