below median 1l grades-any shot at biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

below median 1l grades-any shot at biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:41 pm

from lower tier1?

stuffnuff

New

Re: below median 1l grades-any shot at biglaw?

Post by stuffnuff » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 pm

ITE, definitely no. Sorry.
Last edited by stuffnuff on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Most unlikely, sorry. BigLaw is overrated anyways.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Dont worry, there are many rewarding and high paying legal jobs outside biglaw. You'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Really :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really :shock:
To what?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:46 pm

depending on your definition of high paying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:46 pm

really. below median at a lower tier 1 ITE = slim to no chance of landing a biglaw job

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
really. below median at a lower tier 1 ITE = slim to no chance of landing a biglaw job
Yes. Really. Really really.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:51 pm

When people at MVPBDCNG with sub-median grades are not getting (major market, at least) BigLaw, I find it hard to believe OP is asking a serious question.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Dont worry, there are many rewarding and high paying legal jobs outside biglaw. You'll be fine.
Naive optimism; the opposite is actually true. There are few jobs in general, those that are "high paying" outside of biglaw aren't going to materialize for a person below median at a T1.
Anonymous User wrote:
Outside of the T10, ITE one has almost no chance of landing a BigLaw job with below median grades...

Right now, it seems that those students in schools outside the T30 need to have stellar grades (read: top 5%) to land a job at a BigLaw firm.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Below median was extremely marginal for biglaw below Vandy/Texas/UCLA even during the boom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:09 pm

the bad grades are from 1L--after 1L, I reduced my class load and bumped my gpa/class rank up. Right now I am in the top 30%, but I am in year 5 of law school. Do the big firms only look at 1l grades?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Okay, someone just lock-ban this shit.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:15 pm

From a lower tier 1, you are pretty much screwed. Even for the lower t-14, only half the 2L class landed a big law job for next summer ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:16 pm

The pessimism in this post is definitely credited. I'm a 2L at Columbia, comfortably above median, who went into this years OCI confident about my BigLaw prospects. I mean, I knew the economy was bad, and I knew it wouldn't be as easy this year as in the past, but I don't think my optimism was unwarranted - I was at CLS, did decently well, went to a well-regarded UG, had a solid non-liberal arts background and professional work experience.

I did 30+ screeners at EIP, mass mailed my home market and various other secondary markets, did callbacks, and when all was said and done, got nothing.

I can think of at least 10 or 15 people at CLS who also have nothing, and this is just within my circle of friends/acquaintances. So in summary: below median at a tier 1 will almost certainly not cut it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:16 pm

None of this needs to be anonymous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The pessimism in this post is definitely credited. I'm a 2L at Columbia, comfortably above median, who went into this years OCI confident about my BigLaw prospects. I mean, I knew the economy was bad, and I knew it wouldn't be as easy this year as in the past, but I don't think my optimism was unwarranted - I was at CLS, did decently well, went to a well-regarded UG, had a solid non-liberal arts background and professional work experience.

I did 30+ screeners at EIP, mass mailed my home market and various other secondary markets, did callbacks, and when all was said and done, got nothing.

I can think of at least 10 or 15 people at CLS who also have nothing, and this is just within my circle of friends/acquaintances. So in summary: below median at a tier 1 will almost certainly not cut it.
TBF, you probably weren't exactly killing it in interviews, were you?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the bad grades are from 1L--after 1L, I reduced my class load and bumped my gpa/class rank up. Right now I am in the top 30%, but I am in year 5 of law school. Do the big firms only look at 1l grades?
Don't worry, by the time you're a 7L or 9L you'll probably be in teh top 5% of your class and have a really good shot at biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:11 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The pessimism in this post is definitely credited. I'm a 2L at Columbia, comfortably above median, who went into this years OCI confident about my BigLaw prospects. I mean, I knew the economy was bad, and I knew it wouldn't be as easy this year as in the past, but I don't think my optimism was unwarranted - I was at CLS, did decently well, went to a well-regarded UG, had a solid non-liberal arts background and professional work experience.

TBF, you probably weren't exactly killing it in interviews, were you?
I wouldn't say I'm a a great interviewer, but I'd put myself at least average or above average. As I mentioned, I've had past professional experience (think finance/consulting) and have been through many, many job interviews in my life before law school, both as an interviewee and as an interviewer, so I've seen both sides of the table. It has never been an issue for me - I'm not nervous, speak clearly, don't stutter, etc. I'm also naturally a friendly, generally upbeat person, although everyone acts this way in interviews, so I'm not sure if it came across or mattered.

If I had to guess, I would say that I probably hinted too much in my interviews that I would prefer to do corporate work, when that's really not something I should have stuck with given the economy.

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:the bad grades are from 1L--after 1L, I reduced my class load and bumped my gpa/class rank up. Right now I am in the top 30%, but I am in year 5 of law school. Do the big firms only look at 1l grades?
You have virtually no chance. 1L grades are usually only relevant in getting 2L summer posistion since they are the only grades available at recruitment in the fall of your 2L year. However for low tier 1 even before the recession you needed to be in the top 10-15% to even have a shot at Big Law. Furthermore the fact that you are taking 5 or more years to complete a 3 year degree looks bad to employers. Most employers will feel that they cannot compare you to your fellow classmates since they are taking a significantly higher load then you (it would be apples to oranges comparison). If I were you in this economy I would focus on finding any employment then focusing on Big Law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:33 am

You might be able to get into a decent LLM program since you are top 30%. If you can get into Georgetown's tax LLM, you should have a shot at biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You might be able to get into a decent LLM program since you are top 30%. If you can get into Georgetown's tax LLM, you should have a shot at biglaw.
This is not true at all, =biglaw firms know LLMs are just a backdoor way in trying to compensate for shitty 1L grades. Getting a LLM is just a huge waste of money unless you are international.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Don't worry, by the time you're a 7L or 9L you'll probably be in teh top 5% of your class and have a really good shot at biglaw.
Just posting a copy of your avatar would have been a sufficient response...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”