URM OCI callbacks???? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: URM OCI callbacks????

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 pm

I think he is saying that if even if you are URM, you should still go to the school with the best employment possibilities as compared to scholarship tuition reduction.

I do agree that the URM hiring boost is far lower than many people have made it out to be. To be honest, it seems that even elite firms have poor numbers of URM's in their ranks. Of course, most of this is available on NALP. I will go as far as to say that the average employer listed on NALP (and in the real world) has AAs account for 4% of its total amount of lawyers.

Be aware that regardless of what many employers may or may not say about diversity on their websites, or what job fairs they attend, many are not ttthhhaaatttt interested.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of employers, but I do have a full summer offer open at the moment that I will likely accept it if I don't hear from the other employers soon (and I have made them aware of the offer and the time constraints that go along with it).

My recommendations:
1. Don't go to a low ranking school, no matter what kind of job results it publishes.
2. Get a firm job 1L summer - even if it means sucking up heavily to your professors for LORs for diversity clerkships. If this is not achievable, pursue a legal job that is not public interest (unless that is what you want to do).
3. Have high grades
4. Do a journal or moot court
5. (insert anything I may have missed here)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:haven't read the thread (if I prove to be contradicted, I'll edit), but it seems to me like "URM" becomes "black people" for most firms (since most don't ask you to fill out those demographic questionnaires), because everything is done on the surface. Unless you have a Hispanic sounding name or something. (point being the URM application boost may not translate to a URM hiring boost without a box to check? Idk.)
It's not so easy to identify yourself during hiring. Even if the interviewer can see who you are, he's just passing information along to a hiring committee that decides who gets callbacks. Those people just see you as a piece of paper, so you have to show them on paper who you are.

I joined my school's Hispanic student organization and the Hispanic National Bar Association, and put both on my resume. I think it helped.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:haven't read the thread (if I prove to be contradicted, I'll edit), but it seems to me like "URM" becomes "black people" for most firms (since most don't ask you to fill out those demographic questionnaires), because everything is done on the surface. Unless you have a Hispanic sounding name or something. (point being the URM application boost may not translate to a URM hiring boost without a box to check? Idk.)
It's not so easy to identify yourself during hiring. Even if the interviewer can see who you are, he's just passing information along to a hiring committee that decides who gets callbacks. Those people just see you as a piece of paper, so you have to show them on paper who you are.

I joined my school's Hispanic student organization and the Hispanic National Bar Association, and put both on my resume. I think it helped.
Exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”