Need some offer etiquette advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crazycanuck

Gold

Need some offer etiquette advice

Post by crazycanuck » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Last edited by crazycanuck on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhernton

Bronze

Re: Need some offer etiquette advice

Post by mhernton » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Some things to keep in perspective here, you are losing by going with either company, both have great branding. As far as ettiquette is concerned if you have offers from both, those offers won't be rescinded because of a minor breach in ettiquette. In fact if you choose to go with PWC, you may want to have a candid conversation with the recruiters at Deloitte & Touche about why your choosing PWC, they may match the offer. Guilt has no place in this conversation. If either company starts to have financial issues they won't feel guilty about cutting you loose. Make the decision based on what is best for you. If you prefer the atmosphere and people at Deloitte and that is your number one criteria then do it. If you want the extra couple of thousand a year from PWC then do it. Point is both are great for your career.

Again talk to the people at Deloitte and tell them that you have an offer from PWC and that you are considering it because it is at slightly higher price point, but that you would rather work with them because it seems to be a better company or whatever. They will offer you genuine advice about how fast you will get promoted or whatever.

I played this game coming out of my MBA program

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 pm

mhernton wrote:In fact if you choose to go with PWC, you may want to have a candid conversation with the recruiters at Deloitte & Touche about why your choosing PWC, they may match the offer. Guilt has no place in this conversation. If either company starts to have financial issues they won't feel guilty about cutting you loose.
This is the right attitude to have about employment in general. You're showing up for the paycheck anyway, so they know it's not about falling head over heels.
mhernton wrote:Again talk to the people at Deloitte and tell them that you have an offer from PWC and that you are considering it because it is at slightly higher price point, but that you would rather work with them because it seems to be a better company or whatever. They will offer you genuine advice about how fast you will get promoted or whatever.
Just be careful about overselling the preference, otherwise it may get a bit awkward that you prefer Company A but went with Company B for the money. When in doubt, say less. In negotiations, being willing to say less is a useful habit. If you want them to recruit you, no need to give them extra arguments.

Just something like "I really like X and everyone here seems professional" but "Z gave me an amazing offer and I'm considering taking it." Instead of subsequently saying "I really prefer you guys" it can be better to stop talking and let them respond. The implication is "convince me to stay" but you avoided anything so tasteless as explicitly asking for a bidding war. If you are successfully wooed, you may need them to like you as a co-worker.

Also, if you mention your offer at Company Z, then it's easy to ask them for time to make your decision (say the 6th) after your tour.

FYI I'm a 0L. This is based on my generalized job search training.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I would be very careful with your conversations with either firm. You want to start out with your choice firm on a good note. First impressions last. Enthusiasm is always important.

I'd go with whichever people you liked the best and where you want to be (if the cities are different) and if the packages are fairly comparable: think long term. You will be more successful if you mesh better with firm.

Sorry for poor structure...long day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”