Having to take a week off during a 2L SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Gold

Re: Having to take a week off during a 2L SA

Post by RVP11 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 am

ziggysmarley wrote: I mentioned the wedding during my interviews, so it's not like they were surprised by it....
How did that go? I've thought it would be best to discuss it between receiving the offer and making my decision, when I would have at least some bit of bargaining power.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Completely agree with TTT. Missing a week out of ~10 week program is too much. ITE economy I wouldn't even ask for a day off unless someone died.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Why does the wedding have to be in the summer? You could have a wedding over break. I have no idea if this would appeal to you, but I've been to some gorgeous Christmastime weddings. And you save money on decorations, because most venues are already decorated for the holidays.

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Similar question - I was hoping to take a week off for the Newport-Bermuda sailing race in mid-June, but since I won't be able to do it this year and it's every two years, the next one would be during my 2L summer.

There's no way to make it work though, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Similar question - I was hoping to take a week off for the Newport-Bermuda sailing race in mid-June, but since I won't be able to do it this year and it's every two years, the next one would be during my 2L summer.

There's no way to make it work though, right?
rofl. If you need to ask, this career may not be right for you...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Looks like we'll have to do the wedding/honeymoon in August. Worst case scenario I miss the first week of 3L.

Bahama, I don't know if this necessarily qualifies as just one of many work/life conflicts to come. Where I come from, getting married, being at the births of your children, etc. are pretty important and not ordinary events you can equate with going on vacation or making it to all your kid's soccer games.

I guess I don't want to risk getting an offer out of school, but if any firm I work for, BigLaw or not, fires me for missing work for the most important family events, I'll be happy to part ways.

FWIW, I don't foresee that happening since I intend on working in a family-friendly, heavily LDS market, where I assume partners value having happy wives and kids to go home to.

Have you spent much time around biglaw partners?

ziggysmarley

New

Post by ziggysmarley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
ziggysmarley wrote: I mentioned the wedding during my interviews, so it's not like they were surprised by it....
How did that go? I've thought it would be best to discuss it between receiving the offer and making my decision, when I would have at least some bit of bargaining power.
The wedding came up during first round and call back interviews, either because the interviewers would notice the engagement ring or I would mention my fiance... and then they'd ask about the wedding. I didn't press anyone re: taking off a week/starting late until after I received multiple offers and was weighing my options.

Summer programs all start at different times, and there is often some flexibility re: start date based on your school. If you schedule your wedding for May 28, you could start a day or two later... and still work 9-10 weeks. This is more than enough time for the firm to get to know you, evaluate your performance, etc. I just don't see a firm administrator/partner saying "He/She does great work... but he/she got married at the beginning of the summer and this shows a lack of maturity and lack of commitment to the firm. NO OFFER." Maybe if you took off mid-summer or took off multiple weeks or did crappy work, but the firm will likely understand that you planned your wedding months before you did OCI, received an offer, got the dates of the summer program, etc.

I think a lot of kids on this site (and others) have never worked at firms, and base their recommendations on horror stories re: mean partners that float around law schools. At my old firm, no one was canned for stuff like this. When a summer's wife had a baby mid-summer and he took off for a week, people were HAPPY for him. He got an offer (and baby gifts).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ziggysmarley

New

Post by ziggysmarley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:54 am

mr.undroppable wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Looks like we'll have to do the wedding/honeymoon in August. Worst case scenario I miss the first week of 3L.

Bahama, I don't know if this necessarily qualifies as just one of many work/life conflicts to come. Where I come from, getting married, being at the births of your children, etc. are pretty important and not ordinary events you can equate with going on vacation or making it to all your kid's soccer games.

I guess I don't want to risk getting an offer out of school, but if any firm I work for, BigLaw or not, fires me for missing work for the most important family events, I'll be happy to part ways.

FWIW, I don't foresee that happening since I intend on working in a family-friendly, heavily LDS market, where I assume partners value having happy wives and kids to go home to.

Have you spent much time around biglaw partners?
Have you?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 am

ziggysmarley wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
The wedding came up during first round and call back interviews, either because the interviewers would notice the engagement ring or I would mention my fiance... and then they'd ask about the wedding. I didn't press anyone re: taking off a week/starting late until after I received multiple offers and was weighing my options.

Summer programs all start at different times, and there is often some flexibility re: start date based on your school. If you schedule your wedding for May 28, you could start a day or two later... and still work 9-10 weeks. This is more than enough time for the firm to get to know you, evaluate your performance, etc. I just don't see a firm administrator/partner saying "He/She does great work... but he/she got married at the beginning of the summer and this shows a lack of maturity and lack of commitment to the firm. NO OFFER." Maybe if you took off mid-summer or took off multiple weeks or did crappy work, but the firm will likely understand that you planned your wedding months before you did OCI, received an offer, got the dates of the summer program, etc.

I think a lot of kids on this site (and others) have never worked at firms, and base their recommendations on horror stories re: mean partners that float around law schools. At my old firm, no one was canned for stuff like this. When a summer's wife had a baby mid-summer and he took off for a week, people were HAPPY for him. He got an offer (and baby gifts).
i don't think anyone is saying the wedding is the problem. the problem is that he wants to take a week-long honeymoon right after it.

paternity leave is protected by law. honeymoon leave isn't.

ziggysmarley

New

Post by ziggysmarley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 am

[]
Last edited by ziggysmarley on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:03 am

Wedding date is locked down. The positive news is that the honeymoon will be short. I should only be missing 2-3 days max for the honeymoon if the firm's program has even started by then. I spoke with one former BigLaw recruitment partner who felt this wouldn't even be a consideration come offer time.
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 am

ziggysmarley wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
i don't think anyone is saying the wedding is the problem. the problem is that he wants to take a week-long honeymoon right after it.

paternity leave is protected by law. honeymoon leave isn't.
He recently said wedding May 28 or June 4, and honeymoon in August... but people were still saying not to miss a second of the summer program.
i don't see the OP having said that anywhere.

^^^^ guess that settles it. good luck to you man.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:19 am

Why not get married on one of those weekends and do the honeymoon when you both have a week free?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 am

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Why not get married on one of those weekends and do the honeymoon when you both have a week free?
Long story, but this is kind of what we're doing. Lots of compromise involved.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

I think the key phrase that most people have included is "ITE." People are getting no-offered right now for NO reason, so why give a firm any reason, even if it's tiny and seems inconsequential? Some firms won't care. Some might not be able to give everyone an offer and will be looking for distinguishing factors.

And yes, I worked for a firm for years.

Anyway, looks like he figured it out, so good luck OP and congrats on your wedding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 am

Careful there- remember UVA has a first day sign in requirement! (and word on the street is that it is almost impossible to get excused- even for honeymoons!)

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Why not get married on one of those weekends and do the honeymoon when you both have a week free?
Long story, but this is kind of what we're doing. Lots of compromise involved.
Just elope, she'll understand. Congrats on finally setting the date.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”