Propsects Out of Chicago Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
articulably suspect

Bronze

Re: Propsects Out of Chicago

Post by articulably suspect » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to hear the prospects coming out of the lower tier 1 schools in Chicago (Loyola, Kent, Depaul) if anyone has any feedback that would be great.
What type of prospects are you looking for. If it's Biglaw or some 100K+ job upon graduation than it doesn't look good. There was an article in the Tribune a week ago addressing this very issue. Basically, U Ill is hurting in the OCI department big time, so just imagine what that means for the other T2s in the Chicago area. If you want PI/local or state Govt your prospects will most likely be better but not great.

tetrahydrocannabinol

New

Post by tetrahydrocannabinol » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm

University of Shitcago ("UoS") = Shitty prospects.

Outside of UoS/NU, etc. = just plain retarded to attend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Chicago BigLaw Hiring Prospects:

1. University of Chicago
2.Michigan/Northwestern
3.ND/WUSTL
4. Illinois
5.Indiana/Wisconsin/Minnesota
6. Loyola/Kent/Depaul
7. John Marshall - Chicago

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chicago BigLaw Hiring Prospects:

1. University of Chicago
2.Michigan/Northwestern
3.ND/WUSTL
4. Illinois
6. Loyola/Kent/Depaul
7. John Marshall - Chicago
According to the vault data and the reports so far from OCI, the gap between (1) and (2) on your chart is smaller than the gap between (2) and (3).

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 pm

I think Northwestern is benefitting from its student body. Employers seemed to care a lot about work experience this year, Northwestern kids have more work experience than other places on average. Just a hunch.

And yeah, trying to put Chicago so far apart from everything else this year is silly and incredibly inaccurate. Chicago students are hurting just as badly as everyone else--our tuition is just a lot higher than most of the other schools on your list.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
way to stereotype rayiner. respect for you just vanished.

didn't mean to make it anon. -WAAHRUS
Sense of humor fail.

Why is OP anonymous again?

Is Op afraid to reveal that he/she is considering a T2?

Hmm.
No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 pm

ejjones wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to hear the prospects coming out of the lower tier 1 schools in Chicago (Loyola, Kent, Depaul) if anyone has any feedback that would be great.
What type of prospects are you looking for. If it's Biglaw or some 100K+ job upon graduation than it doesn't look good. There was an article in the Tribune a week ago addressing this very issue. Basically, U Ill is hurting in the OCI department big time, so just imagine what that means for the other T2s in the Chicago area. If you want PI/local or state Govt your prospects will most likely be better but not great.
PI is what I was looking for, so this addresses it.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ejjones wrote:
Keep in mind, there is going to be a pretty heavy trickle-down of folks from the T14 that weren't able to get biglaw applying for these jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:59 pm

It is probably more like this:

1. University of Chicago
2.Michigan/Northwestern
3.ND/WUSTL
4. Illinois
6. Loyola/Kent/Depaul
7. John Marshall - Chicago[/quote]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Heh, this year, it is more like:

University of Chicago/Michigan/Northwestern (top 25% at any of them to have a decent shot at biglaw)
ND/WUSTL/IL/IN/WI/MN (top 5-10% and a strong resume otherwise, to have much hope of biglaw)
Everything else (Not much hope)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ejjones wrote:
Keep in mind, there is going to be a pretty heavy trickle-down of folks from the T14 that weren't able to get biglaw applying for these jobs.
OP-this is probably true, but no one knows to what extent PI is going to get flooded with UoC, NU, etc. I think that govt is going to see the biggest shift. Common sense suggests that, yes, due to cuts in hiring/OCI in the private sector the result would be increased competition in other areas of the law. Maybe the towns outside of Chicago would be a good place to look for employment, but I imagine that they will be fairly saturated as well.

In places like Chicago and NYC I would expect finding a job in any field will be pretty challenging due to the number of JDs from T14s and T30s looking for jobs there. Regarding PI, do any of the T2 schools you're interested have specific clinics inter/externships, etc that would help you get your foot in the door at a non-profit or PD office? For example, The Innocence Project, which is something I'm very interested in, is based at Santa Clara. It would make good sense for me to attend SC if I really wanted to get involved with The Innocence Project, both during school and potentially as a lawyer.

If you are dead set on PI, you should set your sights on schools that will minimize your debt. Can you leave Chicago? What are your numbers?

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Why did that need to be anonymous? Is your sensitive information that people from lower ranked schools in Chicago worry about their job prospects?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 pm

I believe the topic should be spelled "prop sex"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Illinois (like Wisco and others) had ~60 firms at OCI. And WUSTL kids probably have insane debt. Point being, in this economy not much is safe. Hate to see TLS suggest someone go to WUSTL over a school like Indiana if the later is cheaper. Just throwing it out there, not that this thread specifically promoted such a thought.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Heh, this year, it is more like:

University of Chicago/Michigan/Northwestern (top 25% at any of them to have a decent shot at biglaw)
ND/WUSTL/IL/IN/WI/MN (top 5-10% and a strong resume otherwise, to have much hope of biglaw)
Really? from reading OCI call backs thread it seemed like above median were still getting callbacks (1-2 for self professed bad interviewers, 3-4+ good interviewers at U of C. Northwestern on the other hand seemed pretty hellish. Are these callbacks not turning in to offers? I sure hope it isn't this bad at Chicago.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Heh, this year, it is more like:

I agree with this, but I also think that the assigned %'s depend on one's definition of biglaw. If we are talking about the NLJ250 as opposed to something like the Vault 100, the numbers are probably a little higher.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am

BobDole34 wrote:Illinois (like Wisco and others) had ~60 firms at OCI. And WUSTL kids probably have insane debt. Point being, in this economy not much is safe. Hate to see TLS suggest someone go to WUSTL over a school like Indiana if the later is cheaper. Just throwing it out there, not that this thread specifically promoted such a thought.
Yeah, this. Such "advice" is blatant US News ranking influence.

You'd have to be insane to turn down in-state at any of the T1 Big 10 schools to go to WUSTL.

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soulplaya

New

Post by soulplaya » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:34 pm

IL's in state tuition is ridiculous, it's like $30,000.

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 pm

BobDole34 wrote:Illinois (like Wisco and others) had ~60 firms at OCI. And WUSTL kids probably have insane debt. Point being, in this economy not much is safe. Hate to see TLS suggest someone go to WUSTL over a school like Indiana if the later is cheaper. Just throwing it out there, not that this thread specifically promoted such a thought.
Given that IU's out of state tuition is essentially the same as Wash U's, and the latter certainly gives out more scholarships, this advice is completely useless to anyone besides an Indiana resident. Also, I would have a hard time believing that Wash U's employment breakdown for the c/o 2009 and 2010 wouldn't look different than the c/o 2005 on that chart. I'm not here to blindly troll for Wash U, just like everyone else we're not exactly swimming in champagne here and if you're outside of the top 15% or 20% your chance at a market-paying job in Chicago is pretty slim, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that you're no better off here than at Indiana, especially considering that it doesn't appear that this mess is going to hit subsequent classes as hard as the c/o 2011.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”