Propsects Out of Chicago Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Propsects Out of Chicago

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 pm

I'd like to hear the prospects coming out of the lower tier 1 schools in Chicago (Loyola, Kent, Depaul) if anyone has any feedback that would be great.

Hyder

New

Re: Propsects Out of Chicago

Post by Hyder » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:30 pm

they're lower tier 2 schools

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:they're lower tier 2 schools
Some define 50+ as lower tier 1 or, in your case, (upper, not lower) tier 2. Depends how you look at it, either way, question still stands.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:20 am

very very bad in this economy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:58 am

During interviews with Chicago firms, many interviewers told me they'd canceled all recruiting everywhere except for NU, Chicago, and Michigan. One gave me the impression that with so few SA positions available, it wasn't worth the effort trying to find the "diamond in the rough" at Loyola/DePaul/Kent/John Marshall. It's a pretty elitist point of view, but I think the downturn is making firms more, not less, elitist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:28 pm

But you have an advantage at those schools if a lot of employers visit for OCI. Which I imagine they still would given how close their offices are.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:18 pm

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:But you have an advantage at those schools if a lot of employers visit for OCI. Which I imagine they still would given how close their offices are.
You would be surprised. A lot of Chicago firms didn't even bother with Chicago's OCI this year, much less Kent's or Loyola's.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:28 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:But you have an advantage at those schools if a lot of employers visit for OCI. Which I imagine they still would given how close their offices are.
You would be surprised. A lot of Chicago firms didn't even bother with Chicago's OCI this year, much less Kent's or Loyola's.
Can you really blame them for not wanting to make the trek out to the Southside?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Can you really blame them for not wanting to make the trek out to the Southside?
It is so, so true. Hyde Park is the graveyard of fun. Lord, it sucks so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I am in Chicago and have friends at Loyola landing summer associate positions. That being said, both people I know made law review, but it IS for biglaw firms.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in Chicago and have friends at Loyola landing summer associate positions. That being said, both people I know made law review, but it IS for biglaw firms.
The thread obviously wasn't saying that not a single person at "the schools that aren't NW/UoC" are getting biglaw jobs. The prospects are just incredibly dim this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 pm

I appreciate the replies. Obviously, having such things as Law Review on your resume makes things a little better. But from what it seems to be is that unless your NU or Chicago (or the other tops in neighboring states) things are looking tough.

Again, thanks to those who answered. Hopefully things turn around soon, but it isn't looking good.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I appreciate the replies. Obviously, having such things as Law Review on your resume makes things a little better. But from what it seems to be is that unless your NU or Chicago (or the other tops in neighboring states) things are looking tough.

Again, thanks to those who answered. Hopefully things turn around soon, but it isn't looking good.

If it makes you feel any better there's a general atmosphere of panic at NU. Misery loves company.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I appreciate the replies. Obviously, having such things as Law Review on your resume makes things a little better. But from what it seems to be is that unless your NU or Chicago (or the other tops in neighboring states) things are looking tough.

UoC as well, don't feel bad.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Lizface killah wrote:

If it makes you feel any better there's a general atmosphere of panic at NU. Misery loves company.
Really? Is it the 2L/3Ls? Because the 1Ls seem pretty blase about everything...

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:

I feel like there is a significant amount of stealth gunning going on, fueled by economic anxiety. The 2Ls know they're fucked and seem a little more resigned to it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:

I feel like there is a significant amount of stealth gunning going on, fueled by economic anxiety. The 2Ls know they're fucked and seem a little more resigned to it.
Interesting. I haven't noticed much of it at all. I mean, a few of my friends spent Friday reading, but I just thought it was because they were asian...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:26 am

rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:If it makes you feel any better there's a general atmosphere of panic at NU. Misery loves company.
Interesting. I haven't noticed much of it at all. I mean, a few of my friends spent Friday reading, but I just thought it was because they were asian...
way to stereotype rayiner. respect for you just vanished.

didn't mean to make it anon. -WAAHRUS

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
rayiner wrote:

<--- Asian

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 am

rayiner wrote:
<--- Asian
Even if you weren't Asian, is it really that big deal of a deal that you said that? This PC bull has gotten way out of hand.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Sense of humor fail.

Why is OP anonymous again?

Is Op afraid to reveal that he/she is considering a T2?

Hmm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 pm

This is true of other schools and areas as well; that is, major firms that usually take recruits are not recruiting at all, or at substantial reductions. I'm glad I'm not paying anywhere near freight for my school, and could do fine off a state level clerkship. The Class of 2011 is getting absolutely ravaged by a large imposing bison, and the bison is named "Mr. In This Economy," and his hobbies include eating median T10ers and lower 90% T2ers. T3 and T4ers never even got a chance to breathe before getting eaten.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Chicago > New York

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During interviews with Chicago firms, many interviewers told me they'd canceled all recruiting everywhere except for NU, Chicago, and Michigan. One gave me the impression that with so few SA positions available, it wasn't worth the effort trying to find the "diamond in the rough" at Loyola/DePaul/Kent/John Marshall. It's a pretty elitist point of view, but I think the downturn is making firms more, not less, elitist.
Chicago Tribune Article from a few days ago (nothing really landmark):

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
At NU we had a few firms who interviewed but didn't actually seem to be hiring. I'd rather have them not come at all than give me a faux interview and waste my bid.

...or maybe they were hiring and just called back so few people that it's not general knowledge. Who knows ITE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”