Legal Market in 5 years Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SoulInNeed

New

Legal Market in 5 years

Post by SoulInNeed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey, I've always wanted be a lawyer, I've done internships and it's only increased my desire. I've also never had ridiculous dreams about big law, all I've wanted to be is a public defender in Cook County (or anywhere really). Unfortunately, the news I've been hearing lately has really been killing me. I'm 1.5 years from graduating from college, and I'm 5 years away from graduating law school. I currently have a 3.95 GPA and I've been practicing in the mid to high 160s. I know I won't get top14, but I should have a good shot at top 30, at the very least. I've always been a hard worker, but that doesn't mean anything I guess. The recession hit, times got hard, but I always counted on things improving in the legal field in 5 years. Now, though, people keep telling me the opposite. I'm honestly unsure of what to do, and I was wondering if you guys had any views on how the legal field will be in 5 years?

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Legal Market in 5 years

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:52 pm

I could see it continuing to get worse for lawyers for quite some time.. Demand for services is on the decline and the client base has shrank... In short....

--ImageRemoved--

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:57 pm

My friend 'Dom said it's going to get pretty freakin' hott, especially for TTT grads! APPLY NOW

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Well, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistic's fancy National Employment Matrix, "Legal Occupations" will go from 579,864 in 2006 to 653,179 in 2016, with "Lawyers" going from 361,773 in 2006 to 397,362 in 2016. I doubt these statistics factored in the state of our current economy, but, oh well, here's some hard numbers to go with everyone's best guess.

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/ ... 541100.pdf

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 pm

SoulInNeed wrote:Hey, I've always wanted be a lawyer, I've done internships and it's only increased my desire. I've also never had ridiculous dreams about big law, all I've wanted to be is a public defender in Cook County (or anywhere really). Unfortunately, the news I've been hearing lately has really been killing me. I'm 1.5 years from graduating from college, and I'm 5 years away from graduating law school. I currently have a 3.95 GPA and I've been practicing in the mid to high 160s. I know I won't get top14, but I should have a good shot at top 30, at the very least. I've always been a hard worker, but that doesn't mean anything I guess. The recession hit, times got hard, but I always counted on things improving in the legal field in 5 years. Now, though, people keep telling me the opposite. I'm honestly unsure of what to do, and I was wondering if you guys had any views on how the legal field will be in 5 years?

A 3.95 GPA, and practing in the mid to upper 160's.... Don't give up on T-14 yet..... Other than that can't help ya.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:36 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
SoulInNeed wrote:Hey, I've always wanted be a lawyer, I've done internships and it's only increased my desire. I've also never had ridiculous dreams about big law, all I've wanted to be is a public defender in Cook County (or anywhere really). Unfortunately, the news I've been hearing lately has really been killing me. I'm 1.5 years from graduating from college, and I'm 5 years away from graduating law school. I currently have a 3.95 GPA and I've been practicing in the mid to high 160s. I know I won't get top14, but I should have a good shot at top 30, at the very least. I've always been a hard worker, but that doesn't mean anything I guess. The recession hit, times got hard, but I always counted on things improving in the legal field in 5 years. Now, though, people keep telling me the opposite. I'm honestly unsure of what to do, and I was wondering if you guys had any views on how the legal field will be in 5 years?
Dude, the law market will be like every other profession at that point - they may all suck or all be back (I would say by then, if we take some action on free trade, etc., we could be beginning our comeback after these next 3 years of hell.) Either way, choose the profession you want - you will have a lifetime of ups and downs - just be smart about debt going into it. But don't try to time the market - lawyer is not a fad, it's a requirement of society.

SoulInNeed

New

Post by SoulInNeed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 pm

You guys are right, I just don't want to feel like a complete idiot in 5 years. Having spent so many years working hard, only to end up with a piece of paper that I can't do anything with. Like I said, my expectations aren't high, but according to everyone on here (from what I've seen), I'm silly to even expect a public defender's job in 5 years in Chicago (they currently have a waiting list for hiring).

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:31 pm

SoulInNeed wrote:only to end up with a piece of paper that I can't do anything with.
Don't be silly...there are a ton of things one can do with a JD....ITE

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”