Mailings -- Include transcript? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mailings -- Include transcript?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:26 am

Some of the firms I want to send my resume to do not specifically ask for transcripts. I would prefer not to incl my transcript. Grades arent great, so I'd prefer to meet them and try to charm them. Do you think these firms (non-NY) would automatically toss my resume and cover letter without a transcript?

thanks.

Corsair

Gold

Re: Mailings -- Include transcript?

Post by Corsair » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 am

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 am

You can send your resume and cover letter only, but both must be stellar. If they want your transcript, they'll ask for it. Do bring a copy of your transcript to the interview though.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 pm

maybe if you don't include it, they'll assume that they're worse than they actually are?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:10 pm

What's the difference between seeing your transcript and seeing your GPA on a resume? Unless you didn't plan on putting your GPA on your resume, which I would think would be a huge red flag...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:25 pm

We don't have GPAs. I just talked to OCS and they said not to include the transcript if its not requested. So, that's what I'll do. We shall see...

Thanks for the input guys!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We don't have GPAs. I just talked to OCS and they said not to include the transcript if its not requested. So, that's what I'll do. We shall see...

Thanks for the input guys!
OCS at my old school told me the same shit. I did it and mailed out to every large firm in the market I want to be in and that went pretty poorly. The next day, after doing my mailings, I listened to a podcast of a analyst that gave a speech at my new school and he really hammered hard for about 10 minutes about how you need to include a transcript with your mailings or you will be screened out. It's just too easy for a firm to say fuck it and tell you they don't want to interview you instead of wasting the time to ask for a transcript because they are flooded hundreds and hundreds of resumes for a handful of spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am

Thanks. But without any idea on what school you went to or what your resume and transcript were like, then I wouldn't know how to take that. I am applying to small and large firms in my home town (not NY, DC or LA). So, I wont be concentrating on big firms and I think many of these places don't regularly get apps from top 5 or 10 schools.

That said, I havent sent these mailing out, partly because I'm having a hard time with this decision. I appreciate your comments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. But without any idea on what school you went to or what your resume and transcript were like, then I wouldn't know how to take that. I am applying to small and large firms in my home town (not NY, DC or LA). So, I wont be concentrating on big firms and I think many of these places don't regularly get apps from top 5 or 10 schools.

That said, I havent sent these mailing out, partly because I'm having a hard time with this decision. I appreciate your comments.
Its not going to hurt you to send out the app with a transcript but it might w/o one. You mine as well just send. Best case scenario is if you don't send your transcript then they'll ask for them. Why are you so hesitant in sending your transcript? Are your grades bad? If that's the case then it might be make sense to leave the GPA off the resume and not send the transcript (and just hope they don't ask for it).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:43 am

Well, yeah..... Sorry I didnt make that clear. My grades aren't great and I'd rather be able to frame it the way I want to during an interview, then have them make a decision at face value. So yes, it could hurt me if I include it. I am also applying to small firms out of market. I don't think they receive the large number of apps that most NY firms do. And OCS (which I realize isn't God) said that other markets are more likely to spend more time looking at your cover letter and resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”