Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Silver

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Post by 06072010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 am

tome wrote:I agree 100% with everything Tome said.

[This new function rocks!]
/modhat

This type of misuse of the anonymous feature will get you banned, d00der. I've outted you. It's sort of a similar name and shame tactic as Fordham pulled.

/modhat

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 am

neskerdoo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
tome wrote:Banning one nothing firm from your OCI for a few years does not harm Fordham students. To say it does is patently ridiculous. The question is really what the broader effect is: will other firms hold it against Fordham, will they not give a shit, or will they think twice about fucking with Fordham. I'd say these options are presented in order from least to most likely. Either way, I really don't see it having a serious effect at all, other than to galvanize and encourage the students at Fordham. Good move Dean.
I figured another fan of Penny-Arcade would have more sense than this. This is not fucking with Fordham. This is a firm making an economic decision.
PK, I think the issue is how and when they did it. If they'd bothered to be polite and respectful, our dean would most likely have responded in kind. It happens that I agree with one of your earlier comments. I think firm and school will both back down, and this whole thing will be a distant memory by the time '12 does OCI.

It still made me pretty happy to see Fordham plastered all over ATL this afternoon. I used to work in PR. Trust me, this is great publicity, and it's free.

I don't trust you.. why do you insist this is 'great' publicity??
haven't you heard -- even bad publicity is good publicity!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 am

Some of these posts are ridiculous.

I don’t understand what exactly you mean by saying “this is a firm making an economic decision”. What are you trying to say? To act unprofessionally, is OK just because the economy is bad? Are you serious? That like saying its OK to steal just because an economy is bad. This has to do with principle. Fordham is a well recognizable world wide institution, and should stand up for its students! As a student I would not want to work with firm that lacks professionalism, and ethics therefore believe if the firm indeed exudes such behavior it should be banned.

I absolutely applaud dean William Michael Treanor!
Last edited by Miracle on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am

Dwaterman86 wrote:I just think in the long run Fordham needs Reed more than Reed needs Fordham.
I guess this is what I really don't see. There are hundreds of decent firms willing to take Fordham grads in the states, but only a handful of schools with students in Fordham's league who would be keen to go to a firm like RS.
Dwaterman86 wrote:Fordham is like a guy who gets laid off, but decides to take it super personally. So when the economy picks up, and the jobs come back everyone else who got laid off with him, will have job offers to come back to the company. Fordham, on the other hand, will not, because when Fordham got laid off instead of taking with class they decided to send the boss a big "fuck you" and egg his house.
In accordance with what I said, above, this will only be true if other firms care deeply about what Fordham has done here. Again, I really don't see this happening. As Neskeroo so kindly pointed out, I don't have anything to back this up, but I think it is a reasonable belief given the absence of any good evidence or reasoning for the opposite.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am

edit: nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:21 am

PKSebben wrote:
tome wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Firms have pulled out of places all over the country
Common dude. RS had no idea that this was a likelihood? No heads-up to the school, even though they are still interviewing at other schools (I doubt thathappened at Michigan). What they did was out and out shitty, and it was a huge FU to FU. The dean at Fordham had the ball and conviction to stand up to them, and it was the right thing to do. It was what they deserved, it was the best thing for the law school, and it was the best thing for the students.
They didn't say "fuck off" to Fordham. What they said is that they're canceling their interviews -- and I bet you my other ovary that they asked for a resume drop from these students, too. Reed Smith is certainly looking to recruit top talent at Fordham -- I bet they put out a statement tomorrow to that effect. This whole "boo hoo RS is going to other schools and not Fordham and so we're obviously lesser people than the C/N students" is getting a little old.

*BAM*

You are now hiring partner at a law firm. You can interview at TWO schools in NYC. POP QUIZ HOTSHOT: WHICH TWO ARE THEY?
I'm just going to go on record and bet your wife is happy you're betting her ovaries, regardless of the odds.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:21 am

Last edited by D. H2Oman on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am

PKSebben wrote: haven't you heard -- even bad publicity is good publicity!
Except that it isn't even bad publicity. Obviously you don't agree, but you've possibly noticed all the "good for Fordham!" comments. Bad publicity exists; you don't want to be a restaurant chain known for outbreaks of salmonella, say. This is far from a situation like that. We've been talking about Fordham all night. The silly email went viral. Epic publicity win.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am

PKSebben wrote:

/modhat

This type of misuse of the anonymous feature will get you banned, d00der. I've outted you. It's sort of a similar name and shame tactic as Fordham pulled.

/modhat

This site isn't nearly serious enough to warrant such lameness, d00der. It was a joke, and an obvious one. Take a drink and a deep breath.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 am

Miracle wrote:Some of these posts are ridiculous.

I don’t understand what exactly you mean by saying “this is a firm making an economic decision”. What are you trying to say? To act unprofessionally, is OK just because the economy is bad? Are you serious? That like saying its OK to steal just because an economy is bad. This has to do with principle. Fordham is a well recognizable world wide institution, and should stand up for its students! As a student I would not want to work with firm that lacks professionalism, and ethics therefore believe if the firm indeed exudes such behavior it should be banned.

The point is that it's not unprofessional. I don't think firms don't owe law students jack shit except to be as transparent as possible. If RS knew six months ago that it had no intention of interviewing Fordham students and decided to pull out at the last minute [sounds like my college love life -- eds.] then yeah, it's a shitty move. But there is no indication that this has happened.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 am

Is it just me, or are 100% of the law students in this thread critical of the dean's actions, while 100% of the people in support of the dean are 0Ls?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 am

tome wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

/modhat

/modhat

This site isn't nearly serious enough to warrant such lameness, d00der. It was a joke, and an obvious one. Take a drink and a deep breath.
The anonymous feature was implemented not for jokes, but to allow people to mask their identity while posting sensitive information. Making an exception for you -- and your HI-LARI-OUS comedy -- only creates an incentive for others to follow suit. Surely you understand that, right?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:25 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 am

Probably. A year of experience and the impending doom of this year's market has sort of clued me into the fact that I'm not owed shit, regardless of where I go.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:27 am

PK, Reed Smith will almost certainly issue the statement you suggest. My guess is that school and firm will apologize to one another. They had a useful relationship in years past, and they probably will in the years to come. In the meantime, this was, as I've said, a publicity win for the school.

To bigben: I'm a 1L now. My first class started yesterday. :D

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:27 am

Da Stain wrote:Probably. A year of experience and the impending doom of this year's market has sort of clued me into the fact that I'm not owed shit, regardless of where I go.
You will go far, friend.

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 am

To paraphrase Michael Scott, Reed Smith may not be the "bell of the ball" but it is still a 6 figure job that Fordham students won't have hiring on their campus for the next 5 years. I would take the extra couple jobs in my class over a bunch of Atta Boys! on the internet....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 am

OperaSoprano wrote:PK, Reed Smith will almost certainly issue the statement you suggest. My guess is that school and firm will apologize to one another. They had a useful relationship in years past, and they probably will in the years to come. In the meantime, this was, as I've said, a publicity win for the school.

To bigben: I'm a 1L now. My first class started yesterday. :D

It got them some publicity. I think calling it a win would be a big overstatement.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 am

bigben wrote:Is it just me, or are 100% of the law students in this thread critical of the dean's actions, while 100% of the people in support of the dean are 0Ls?
LOL. I'd probably be shitting my pants if I were a Fordham 2L [strike]grad[/strike] going through OCI. gobucks1101 had it right...
Responses should go like this...
Person not going to Fordham: Nice! Way to go Fordham!
Person going to Fordham: What the hell? Ego won't make me get off this ramen noodle diet and pay my rent!
EDITS: where indicated
Last edited by rondemarino on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 am

PKSebben wrote:

The point is that it's not unprofessional. I don't think firms don't owe law students jack shit except to be as transparent as possible. If RS knew six months ago that it had no intention of interviewing Fordham students and decided to pull out at the last minute [sounds like my college love life -- eds.] then yeah, it's a shitty move. But there is no indication that this has happened.
But they should've known, right? It's not as if the recession started three weeks ago. I just find it hard to believe that they could have been in this position and not seen it coming.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 am

bigben wrote:Is it just me, or are 100% of the law students in this thread critical of the dean's actions, while 100% of the people in support of the dean are 0Ls?

I am currently in the midst of job fair/ OCI, and I will repeat for the rah-rah crowd that I would be super mondo upset if I had an email like this from my dean in my inbox...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

But they should've known, right? It's not as if the recession started three weeks ago. I just find it hard to believe that they could have been in this position and not seen it coming.
They could very well be horribly incompetent.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:33 am

But that's the thing, WHAT JOBS?!?!

So, maybe Fordham garnered some free PR with the incoming admissions class. What the hell is that worth. I guarantee you they didn't "steal" any students from higher-ranked competitors because of this. No one in the legal community thinks Fordham students don't take no shit because their career services dean told off Reed Smith. They should have just negotiated a resume drop, basically a prescreen, and on-campus interviews from that, and let this thing go.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:34 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”