OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
5ky

Diamond
Posts: 10835
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:02 am

LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
i didnt know sam biddle posted on TLS

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8258
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 am

LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
Well, I tried to help you

User avatar
txdude45

Silver
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by txdude45 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:17 am

Uber is cheaper than a cab, btw. At least it is in NY.

User avatar
BVest

Platinum
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by BVest » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:12 pm

txdude45 wrote:Uber is cheaper than a cab, btw. At least it is in NY.
Uber prices change based on demand, so it's usually cheaper than a cab, but not always.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 pm

LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.

what? why is this an opinion

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
chrisbru

Gold
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:37 am

LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
Ok now I'm leaning towards your entire TLS existence being a flame.

LRGhost

Gold
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by LRGhost » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 am

chrisbru wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
Ok now I'm leaning towards your entire TLS existence being a flame.
I'm completely open to my opinion being a boomerism. It seems like most people think it is so I'm totally alright with accepting I'm wrong. I just haven't had an issue getting a cab in Manhattan within 10 minutes.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 am

LRGhost wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
Ok now I'm leaning towards your entire TLS existence being a flame.
I'm completely open to my opinion being a boomerism. It seems like most people think it is so I'm totally alright with accepting I'm wrong. I just haven't had an issue getting a cab in Manhattan within 10 minutes.
wait, how is it a boomerism? and who's waiting 10 minutes when you can schedule it to arrive when you want/need it to?

i'm unsure what your problem with the service is, and why it's a "stupid yuppie comfort service"

LRGhost

Gold
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by LRGhost » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:59 am

mephistopheles wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.
Ok now I'm leaning towards your entire TLS existence being a flame.
I'm completely open to my opinion being a boomerism. It seems like most people think it is so I'm totally alright with accepting I'm wrong. I just haven't had an issue getting a cab in Manhattan within 10 minutes.
wait, how is it a boomerism? and who's waiting 10 minutes when you can schedule it to arrive when you want/need it to?

i'm unsure what your problem with the service is, and why it's a "stupid yuppie comfort service"
I'm saying my opinion may be a boomerism in that I might be dismissive of something new and thinking people who use it are soft.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
Br3v

Gold
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Br3v » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Button or unbuttoned coat when you enter interview room? I feel my suit looks better unbuttoned.

FlowBro

Bronze
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by FlowBro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Br3v wrote:Button or unbuttoned coat when you enter interview room? I feel my suit looks better unbuttoned.
Buttoned!! Please for the love of god don't go in there unbuttoned. It looks sloppy. If your jacket somehow looks better unbuttoned (which it probably doesn't, go to a tailor!).

Unbutton when you sit down, button when you stand up, get into that habit.

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8258
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:19 pm

FlowBro wrote:
Br3v wrote:Button or unbuttoned coat when you enter interview room? I feel my suit looks better unbuttoned.
Buttoned!! Please for the love of god don't go in there unbuttoned. It looks sloppy. If your jacket somehow looks better unbuttoned (which it probably doesn't, go to a tailor!).

Unbutton when you sit down, button when you stand up, get into that habit.
It's not that big a deal, but yeah the general rule is only unbutton when sitting.

User avatar
Calvin Murphy

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:58 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Calvin Murphy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
FlowBro wrote:
Br3v wrote:Button or unbuttoned coat when you enter interview room? I feel my suit looks better unbuttoned.
Buttoned!! Please for the love of god don't go in there unbuttoned. It looks sloppy. If your jacket somehow looks better unbuttoned (which it probably doesn't, go to a tailor!).

Unbutton when you sit down, button when you stand up, get into that habit.
It's not that big a deal, but yeah the general rule is only unbutton when sitting.
Also, never button the bottom button. Always button when standing...never button the bottom button.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
Br3v

Gold
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Br3v » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Wait so don't button the bottom button? Maybe that's why it looks better unbuttoned

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Nelson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Br3v wrote:Wait so don't button the bottom button? Maybe that's why it looks better unbuttoned
Only button the top button on a suit jacket.

User avatar
Calvin Murphy

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:58 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Calvin Murphy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Br3v wrote:Wait so don't button the bottom button? Maybe that's why it looks better unbuttoned
The only time the bottom button should be buttoned is when you have a one-button suit. If the suit only has one button, do not wear it to OCI.

Assuming the suit has more than one button, do not button the bottom button. If it is three buttoned, the middle button is required and the top button is optional. If two-buttoned, button the top button when standing, unbutton when sitting, and never button the bottom button.

User avatar
chrisbru

Gold
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by chrisbru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Nelson wrote:
Br3v wrote:Wait so don't button the bottom button? Maybe that's why it looks better unbuttoned
Only button the top button on a suit jacket.
On a two-button - I'm sure you meant that as implied, but just to be clear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
KD35

Silver
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by KD35 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Two button:
• Always
• Never

Three button:
• Sometimes
• Always
• Never

In reference to when standing. Always unbutton while sitting.

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Nelson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Br3v wrote:Wait so don't button the bottom button? Maybe that's why it looks better unbuttoned
Only button the top button on a suit jacket.
On a two-button - I'm sure you meant that as implied, but just to be clear.
Yeah. Don't wear a three button suit either.

sprezz

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by sprezz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:31 pm

if you already have a 3 button suit that fits fine don't feel like you have to buy a 2 button.

legal_beagle442

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by legal_beagle442 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:45 pm

2-button is 100% the norm and common style nowadays, but I agree with sprezz that a 3-button is fine if you already have it and it looks good. If someone dings for wearing a 3-button suit, you'd hate working for their firm. On the other hand, I suppose there are some people in this thread who probably would hate working for a firm where 3-button suits were "acceptable".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Nelson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:50 pm

It's just a dated style that looks worse on 95% of male body types. They're really rare these days in mainstream menswear stores so you'd have to go out of your way to get one and I'm not sure why you would unless you're trying to stand out, which you should avoid for an interview.

nointerests

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by nointerests » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Pre OCI reception at a bar with dress code as "casual dress." Business casual? Casual like I'm heading to the bars? Jeans and a button up?

User avatar
KD35

Silver
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by KD35 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:01 pm

nointerests wrote:Pre OCI reception at a bar with dress code as "casual dress." Business casual? Casual like I'm heading to the bars? Jeans and a button up?
I'd think it would vary based on the firm & market. My thought is always going nicer than needed.

User avatar
chrisbru

Gold
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by chrisbru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm

My mom bought me a four-button brown suit when I was in college. It was horrendous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”