OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 pm

POTUS2044 wrote: Since you're thin it should look a hell of a lot better than a brooks bros suit, who's slimmest cut is still cut for fats
That's what tailors are for.

Also yes, plain navy is totally fine. No need to return.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 pm

PHEW - thanks for working through this with me, my man. Any suggestions about a tie? There was a Z Zegna tie in more or less the same navy, but with a subtle pattern. With a somewhat fashion-forward suit, is a more conservative tie credited, or should I add some color?
Last edited by Emperor of Ice-Cream on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:
Emperor of Ice-Cream wrote:I just purchased a navy Z Zegna Trim Fit suit, but now I have buyer's regret. The suit looks great and feels good, and I'll be wearing AE Park Aves and a white, spread-collar Boss shirt, but is it conservative enough for OCIs?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/z-zegna-tri ... it/3640855

I'm 6' 165 lbs.
nice looking suit bro, I'd wear that for sure if it fits you will

Since you're thin it should look a hell of a lot better than a brooks bros suit, who's slimmest cut is still cut for fats
Thanks for your thoughts, good sir.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 am

Emperor of Ice-Cream wrote:PHEW - thanks for working through this with me, my man. Any suggestions about a tie? There was a Z Zegna tie in more or less the same navy, but with a subtle pattern. With a somewhat fashion-forward suit, is a more conservative tie credited, or should I add some color?
I wouldn't wear a navy tie with a navy suit personally, but some people think it is fine. Usually the suggested tie for an interview is conservative with regards to pattern, so plain, a basic stripe or pindot. Suggested colors are usually blue, or a darker red, though Gray is also suggested.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 pm

I have a few questions for the TLS resident experts regarding business casual clothes. My objective is to buy a few basic items for 1L events that can be incorporated eventually into my callbacks/firm dinners/SA wardrobe.

Wool dress pants. Are blended pants better than 100% wool for all-season wear, and are they more or less durable? Any brand recommendations for a slim-but-not-hipster cut?

Sports coats. Which colors pair with dark navy or charcoal pants? Is tweed or herringbone ever appropriate for business casual, or is it outdoor wear?

Shoes. Between oxblood and brown, which colour is most versatile? I have a pair of black AE loafers, but I'd like another option.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:38 pm

oxblood is more versatile, plays nicer with dark grays. i'd go not-loafer

100% wool is a better move, gonna hold up better and usually look better than a blend.

navy blazer is tcr with charcoal pants but not navy pants. solid gray/charcoal SC's aren't versatile, don't do that. tweed and herringbone come in a lot of different styles, so though your hesitation is generally well founded there are exceptions. you're more likely to find a herringbone that plays right with the rest of your business casual staples than a tweed, so if you see one in e.g. a conservative blue/ blue-gray don't be scared off of it. otherwise your only real option to cover both navy and charcoal is probly a pretty muted plaid with a little of both colors, and plaids are easy to cop and then regret a year later. (real easy answer: don't get navy odd pants. do grays browns and tans, and get a navy blazer that goes with all of them)

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:12 am

JAB is buy 1 suit get 4 free today, if anyone needs 5 questionable suits for whatever reason.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:41 pm

sprezz wrote:oxblood is more versatile, plays nicer with dark grays. i'd go not-loafer

100% wool is a better move, gonna hold up better and usually look better than a blend.

navy blazer is tcr with charcoal pants but not navy pants. solid gray/charcoal SC's aren't versatile, don't do that. tweed and herringbone come in a lot of different styles, so though your hesitation is generally well founded there are exceptions. you're more likely to find a herringbone that plays right with the rest of your business casual staples than a tweed, so if you see one in e.g. a conservative blue/ blue-gray don't be scared off of it. otherwise your only real option to cover both navy and charcoal is probly a pretty muted plaid with a little of both colors, and plaids are easy to cop and then regret a year later. (real easy answer: don't get navy odd pants. do grays browns and tans, and get a navy blazer that goes with all of them)

Thanks for this. Black AE penny loafers not okay for business casual? I'll buy oxblood derby shoes, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 pm

nvm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 pm

no reason to have 2 pairs of loafers is all i meant, was assuming you already had the one pair. black loafers arent high on my list of shoes to start with but are probably fine to wear once you already have them. just scope it out first (look to see what associates wear your first day if we're talking SA, etc)

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 pm

So I have a Navy suit that I will obviously be wearing as much as I can throughout OCI, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

Monday and Tuesday I have interviews from 9AM to 4PM, so will not be able to pick up at the dry cleaners early enough Tuesday to wear Navy again on Tuesday. So I'm wondering what my second suit should be.

I have black, thin pinstripe, and a light gray.

I'm obviously not going to be a douche and wear pinstripe, but I am split between the black and light gray. There's the old rule that black is too formal, but is light gray too bold? Any suggestions?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm

KM2016 wrote:So I have a Navy suit that I will obviously be wearing as much as I can throughout OCI, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

Monday and Tuesday I have interviews from 9AM to 4PM, so will not be able to pick up at the dry cleaners early enough Tuesday to wear Navy again on Tuesday. So I'm wondering what my second suit should be.

I'm obviously not going to be a douche and wear pinstripe, but I am split between the black and light gray. There's the old rule that black is too formal, but is light gray too bold? Any suggestions?
You dry clean every day you wear your suit? Wtf?

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:39 pm

ymmv wrote:
KM2016 wrote:So I have a Navy suit that I will obviously be wearing as much as I can throughout OCI, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

Lol yea you should dry clean your suit like twice a year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Lol yea you should dry clean your suit like twice a year.
Dry cleaning more than 1-2x per year and you'll be buying a new suit every 8-12 months.

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Is your suit shinier than your shoes? For 3 seasons suits I only dry clean once before they get put away. Get a suit brush and brush your clothes after every wear, and spot clean any marks or food stains. Only dry clean when it's beyond spot cleaning repair (like when that god damn bird shit on my pants last week).

Also, never wear a black suit in daylight.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 pm

dropping it off at the cleaners to get it pressed is likely the right move in this context. to the actual question...

turns on how "light" the gray is. if the gray is really a medium gray, i'd go with it. something closer to this is okay. a "pearl" gray is not okay.

if it's closer to that pearl gray, i'd go with the black. better to err on the side of overly formal than to give anyone a reason to think you're trying to be stylish (trying to be stylish is an automatic fail in this context).

i would only consider the pinstripe if the gray is a pearl gray and if the pinstripe is a conservative colored suit (charcoal, navy) with a very soft contrast between the pins and the background color. fine, nah.

regardless of which way you go, once the suit's on forget about it! it's almost certainly not going to be the difference between a callback and not-a-callback. good luck dood

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Plan on wearing this navy suit with white dress shirt and black belt/shoes to OCI:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-suits ... 345G346G01

Should I wear this navy tie:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dona ... lotId%3D16

Or this striped tie:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/mens-clothin ... 0?id=53239

Or do I need to go tie shopping?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:55 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:Plan on wearing this navy suit with white dress shirt and black belt/shoes to OCI:

Or this striped tie:

The second link is just a page with a bunch of ties. The first tie is cool, but I personally am not a fan of navy ties + navy suit + white shirt combo, but that is a personal preference

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Pikappraider wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:Plan on wearing this navy suit with white dress shirt and black belt/shoes to OCI:

Or this striped tie:

The second link is just a page with a bunch of ties. The first tie is cool, but I personally am not a fan of navy ties + navy suit + white shirt combo, but that is a personal preference
Thanks, I actually have a dark gray suit that the first blue tie might go well with, as well. Might do that combo instead. Navy tie with dark gray suit acceptable?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Question: can I have my second suit be something other than navy? First one is a nice charcoal Hugo Boss one that fits great (had it tailored). I realistically need at least 2 suits (starting at firm in the fall). But I just don't really like how navy looks on me. And I don't think I have a lot of shirts that go well with it.

Can I get a light grey as my second suit? Any good shirt/tie tips for a navy suit? Also, does anyone know when the BB 1818 will go on sale again..?

Thanks!

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could someone refer me a good tailor in Brooklyn Heights or Lower Manhattan? (Or direct me to the appropriate the appropriate thread?)
I've had good luck at Azzurro and Montague Laundry. If you want to save a little $$, Mr. Rafael's isn't bad either, which is closest to BLS (I'm assuming you go there, seeing as you asked for BK Heights).

Edit: For OCI, looking in Lower Manhattan might be your best bet. With all the FiDi workers down there, the tailors are probably pretty solid (and more expensive tho).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm

shock259 wrote:Question: can I have my second suit be something other than navy? First one is a nice charcoal Hugo Boss one that fits great (had it tailored). I realistically need at least 2 suits (starting at firm in the fall). But I just don't really like how navy looks on me. And I don't think I have a lot of shirts that go well with it.

Can I get a light grey as my second suit? Any good shirt/tie tips for a navy suit? Also, does anyone know when the BB 1818 will go on sale again..?

Thanks!
a non charcoal gray is fine but as discussed earlier, some suits are too light of a gray. keep it medium gray if you don't like navy.

the easiest shirt to wear with a navy suit is solid light blue; lets you get away with pretty much any tie that isn't a pattern with a lot of black. solid white also fine though. or solid pale pink or pale yellow as a changeup. most patterned shirts work pretty ok with a navy suit, to the extent they're suit appropriate in the first place.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:46 am

shock259 wrote:Question: can I have my second suit be something other than navy? First one is a nice charcoal Hugo Boss one that fits great (had it tailored). I realistically need at least 2 suits (starting at firm in the fall). But I just don't really like how navy looks on me. And I don't think I have a lot of shirts that go well with it.

Thanks!
C/W is that navy suits are the most versatile after Charcoal, and light gray is more of a S/S color. That said, looking good in a suit is largely about feeling confident in it, so if you don't think you look good in Navy, don't wear navy.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:19 pm

shock259 wrote:But I just don't really like how navy looks on me. And I don't think I have a lot of shirts that go well with it...Any good shirt/tie tips for a navy suit?
Thanks!
Navy suit with white shirt is very sharp. It's pretty much all Obama wears. Also, it's hard to find a tie that doesn't work with the navy suit/white shirt combo. Blues, reds, browns all look great.

nointerests

New

Post by nointerests » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Verdict on light gray suits? I plan to wear a dark navy for the screener interview, but was wondering if it would be ok to mix it up for the callback or just wear the same suit with a different shirt/tie combo. (assuming I get any callbacks)

i.e. http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/si ... g%2FSummer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”