OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No I have never considered such a thing were winter nights are 40 degrees. Do I need one? Some of my homies has a pea coat I could get does that work?

Other poster, what do you mean by hat and gloves? Like a beanie and snowboarding gloves?

Thanx guys I'm just new to sub-freezing temperatures...
Haha, no dude, don't wear snowboarding gloves to an interview.

Don't go out and buy a bunch of unnecessary winter clothes, but maybe try to ask around and borrow some stuff if you can. What Danger Zone said is pretty much credited. An overcoat, gloves (like leather gloves), a scarf, and maybe those earmuff things would be TCR if you could track those down, but don't go spending hundreds of bucks just to get through one interview.
Thank you guys a lot. Last clarification, does pea coat count as an overcoat? Or do you mean like trench coat kinda thing (like does it need to be longer than waist length?)
That's fine man. You gotta relax a bit, though. It's going to be like -10 degrees, you are going to get some slack no matter what you wear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 am

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No I have never considered such a thing were winter nights are 40 degrees. Do I need one? Some of my homies has a pea coat I could get does that work?

Other poster, what do you mean by hat and gloves? Like a beanie and snowboarding gloves?

Thanx guys I'm just new to sub-freezing temperatures...
Haha, no dude, don't wear snowboarding gloves to an interview.

Don't go out and buy a bunch of unnecessary winter clothes, but maybe try to ask around and borrow some stuff if you can. What Danger Zone said is pretty much credited. An overcoat, gloves (like leather gloves), a scarf, and maybe those earmuff things would be TCR if you could track those down, but don't go spending hundreds of bucks just to get through one interview.
Thank you guys a lot. Last clarification, does pea coat count as an overcoat? Or do you mean like trench coat kinda thing (like does it need to be longer than waist length?)
That's fine man. You gotta relax a bit, though. It's going to be like -10 degrees, you are going to get some slack no matter what you wear.
Lol aite thanks bro I wasn't sure after everyone in this thread is like your gonna get no offered for wearing shit that isn't basically perfectttt

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 am

I mean, for posterity, a topcoat is longer than a peacoat, ending at your knees-ish. If a peacoat is all you have and you won't be in cold weather often, that's fine, but with a suit you should generally wear a longer coat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 am

JAB screwed me over. They swapped my pants in a suit i ordered because i wanted no pleats. They assured me the two navy blues would match over the phone. I got there and i can notice a difference in certain lights. Reception is tomorrow. The reception doesnt seem to important, like an anyone who applied is invited kind of thing. Should I skip? I dont want to be remembered as the guy who cant match a suit. I did RSVP.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:JAB screwed me over. They swapped my pants in a suit i ordered because i wanted no pleats. They assured me the two navy blues would match over the phone. I got there and i can notice a difference in certain lights. Reception is tomorrow. The reception doesnt seem to important, like an anyone who applied is invited kind of thing. Should I skip? I dont want to be remembered as the guy who cant match a suit. I did RSVP.
Is this a screener type interview or a callback? At a law firm?

I think for screeners its not as big a deal, even with an RSVP, but if you have a callback there you should bother to show up to the reception. You probably don't need a jacket at all unless they say it is something other than business casual.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Anyone know where I can get custom built dress shoes? I have really wide toes, but the rest of my foot is normal or narrow.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JAB screwed me over. They swapped my pants in a suit i ordered because i wanted no pleats. They assured me the two navy blues would match over the phone. I got there and i can notice a difference in certain lights. Reception is tomorrow. The reception doesnt seem to important, like an anyone who applied is invited kind of thing. Should I skip? I dont want to be remembered as the guy who cant match a suit. I did RSVP.
Show up but wear the jacket as a blazer instead of a suit, i.e. throw on a different pair of pants underneath. No one will give it a second thought. Get the suit thing fixed asap after for actual interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Not an OCI question, but an SA question. What are the options for dress pants that are kind of like the businessy version of the Levis 510 in terms of fit? Jos A Bank pants look like I'm that guy that lost 100 pounds, but forgot to buy new pants and I figure why spend >$100 per at Brooks Brothers when no one notices the subtleties of pants.

FYI, great sale on BB shirts.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not an OCI question, but an SA question. What are the options for dress pants that are kind of like the businessy version of the Levis 510 in terms of fit? Jos A Bank pants look like I'm that guy that lost 100 pounds, but forgot to buy new pants and I figure why spend >$100 per at Brooks Brothers when no one notices the subtleties of pants.

FYI, great sale on BB shirts.
Banana Republic has amazing wool dress pants on clearance right now. The fit is great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Cool - thanks! I will check them out in store tomorrow to be certain on size. How much are they?

Is wool weird for summer? For now, I just need them for the summer. My general wear is more related to sweatpants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Do not skip because you have a mismatched suit. My story for OCI is I went to callback in a different city. When I got there, I realized I had my suit pants but my navy blue blazer which are clearly not matching. After about 10 minutes of freaking out the morning of, went to the callback and got the offer.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cool - thanks! I will check them out in store tomorrow to be certain on size. How much are they?

Is wool weird for summer? For now, I just need them for the summer. My general wear is more related to sweatpants.
I got them for $50 after opening a card in store (saved me another 15%). Wool is the preferred fabric for trousers in more formal biz cas settings, like law firms, even in the summer. No one will look twice if you wear wool.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Anyone order from Charles Tyrwhitt? How do their shirts compare in fit and quality to Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts? I generally do the extra slim fit at Brooks Brothers and it fits fine in the torso but is almost too tight in the arms and shoulders. Anyone know how the Charles Tyrwhitt shirts compare? And are they machine wash and dry and ready to wear after?
I have a bunch of CT shirts and like them a lot. I haven't had any problems with quality and their extra slim fit is pretty comparable to BB. I machine wash and dry the no-iron ones and they look fine, although there are occasional wrinkles if you leave them in the drier too long (they iron right out, though). They have a good sale right now ($30 per shirt and free shipping), so it's worth checking out. (One note: a lot of their shirts are spread collars, which I like but which you may not.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 am

A meeting was set up for me with a partner in the NY office for the firm I will be summering at (I'm in a different office) because that partner is in the practice group I'm interested in. Suit? or just sport coat and slacks? It's lunch for an hour.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:A meeting was set up for me with a partner in the NY office for the firm I will be summering at (I'm in a different office) because that partner is in the practice group I'm interested in. Suit? or just sport coat and slacks? It's lunch for an hour.
When in doubt, suit up.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:39 pm

AfghanTourist wrote: When in doubt, suit up.

yep. always better to look like you take things seriously, than to be underdressed and come off like an ass

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Johnston & Murphy Meltons are on sale in my size for $97. Is that low enough to justify buying until I need to get my grubby paws on some Park Aves?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:Johnston & Murphy Meltons are on sale in my size for $97. Is that low enough to justify buying until I need to get my grubby paws on some Park Aves?
Absolutely. That's a great deal.

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Sweet - just snagged 'em. Amazon has random sizes for super cheap if anyone else is in the market right now.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 am

Good places to buy a reasonably-priced top coat? Not sure if it matters, but I have a charcoal BB 1818 suit, and I don't want to go back to BB for a top coat, because I may not end up using it that much. And charcoal is fine right, that's not too matchy matchy?

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:Sweet - just snagged 'em. Amazon has random sizes for super cheap if anyone else is in the market right now.
Thanks! Just ordered a pair myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Not sure if anyone has checked out Suit Supply, but I just got a grey Napoli and I am in love with it. Purchased, shipped, and tailored for under 500 bucks is sweet.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Not sure if anyone has checked out Suit Supply, but I just got a grey Napoli and I am in love with it. Purchased, shipped, and tailored for under 500 bucks is sweet.
Never heard of it :D

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 pm

KingFish wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Not sure if anyone has checked out Suit Supply, but I just got a grey Napoli and I am in love with it. Purchased, shipped, and tailored for under 500 bucks is sweet.
Haha, not sure if that is a joke. I hunted for months looking for a suit. Nordstrom Rack, Macy's sales, everything. Decided against indochino. Finally, I manned up and tried suitsupply on a tip. My tailor was very impressed and I only had to hem the pants and take a quarter inch off the sleeves (wasn't necessary, but I like to show some cuff). Ordered 2 more today. Going to spend all that SA money before I get it...

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
KingFish wrote:
Haha, not sure if that is a joke. I hunted for months looking for a suit. Nordstrom Rack, Macy's sales, everything. Decided against indochino. Finally, I manned up and tried suitsupply on a tip. My tailor was very impressed and I only had to hem the pants and take a quarter inch off the sleeves (wasn't necessary, but I like to show some cuff). Ordered 2 more today. Going to spend all that SA money before I get it...
haha it was a joke. I agree they're great, I really like my suit from them, probably will get another

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”