OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:29 am

AbLSAT wrote:Park ave may be the ugliest shoe out there
They're not ugly, but they are fairly boring.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 am

romothesavior wrote:
AbLSAT wrote:Park ave may be the ugliest shoe out there
They're not ugly, but they are fairly boring.
I actually think they are pretty ugly too. On larger feet the toe cap has weird proportions, it looks too short for the shoe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm in my buddy's wedding and I am renting the tux from Men's Warehouse, and with it they gave me a 50% off coupon for a suit (actually a complete order). Is it possible to find a decent suit there?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in my buddy's wedding and I am renting the tux from Men's Warehouse, and with it they gave me a 50% off coupon for a suit (actually a complete order). Is it possible to find a decent suit there?
For OCI (or interviewing in general)? I wouldn't buy anything there.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in my buddy's wedding and I am renting the tux from Men's Warehouse, and with it they gave me a 50% off coupon for a suit (actually a complete order). Is it possible to find a decent suit there?
nope

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nope
didnt pufer say that lauren suits are decent buys?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Is there anything wrong with wearing a 4" wide tie? Got a sweet deal on a nice BB Golden Fleece tie at an outlet, I'm just nervous about wearing it because it just seems so wide...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 pm

That's gigantic, like clown-sized. Make sure you've got the spread collar and a fat head/neck to match.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 pm

I wrote a long rant but deleted it because no one cares. Look, don't go to MW. Just don't. The suits are overpriced, they are ill-fitted, the salespeople know extremely little, and God help you if you get alterations done there. The in house "tailors" are incredibly overpriced, and most MW are staffed by tailors who do not know what they are doing and will literally ruin your suit. I went through 3 alterations and realterations before giving up and taking it to a real tailor who showed me the areas where the suit is essentially popping out threads everywhere. Just read the yelp reviews. It's not hit or miss. It's miss everywhere.

In the end, I probably payed $1000 for 2 suits from MW (after the multiple alterations and finding a new tailor). One fits pretty well but is of terrible quality and will probably not last longer than a year. One is slightly better quality but is so mangled by the tailors that it's kind of useless.

Do yourself a favor and listen to me. It's not worth it even at 50% off. Besides, they basically have the buy one get one free deal the whole year. It's really no deal at all.

Spend a little more money and get a J Crew or a Brooks Brothers. MW does not compare AT ALL.

ETA: The nicer suit I got from MW was a Ralph Lauren. But it's the lowest of the lowest quality line. It's really meh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Alright, noted. I've been planning on a BB suit all along, but when I got the coupon I thought maybe getting one for cheap would be okay.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 am

SportsFan wrote:
For OCI (or interviewing in general)? I wouldn't buy anything there.
I think the biggest problems with Men's Whorehouse is that their suits are mediocre and overpriced and their salespeople are completely incompetent. It's not like everything there is SPS, so if you can get a good deal, and are smart enough to know when a suit fits and doesn't fit, you might fare okay. I bought a few suits there in college when I was clueless and now have two 46Rs in my closet when I should be a 43R, maybe a 44R at my biggest. Huge waste of hundreds of dollars.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 am

Park Ave's are beautiful shoes when seen in person. But I can see how they would look a little weird if you go bigger than size 12 or so.

Speaking of, what's Amazon's return policy? I got my PA's in a 12E, but I have like 1/2" or so of room in the toe so I'd like to exchange them for an 11.5E, but I'm not sure if I can do that since the sale is over?
westinghouse60 wrote:Can I get away with wearing a very light blue shirt for an interview? I've heard wear only white, but I only have 1 white shirt with a no button collar thats interview quality, and I'd prefer not to wear it 4 days in a row...
This is a great cheap white shirt, and JC Penney ALWAYS has coupons and stuff. I can usually get these for under $20 a piece. You can never have too many white shirts IMO, especially when interview can sometimes surprise you.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/stafford ... 14273C.tif

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:I can see how they would look a little weird if you go bigger than size 12 or so.

Speaking of, what's Amazon's return policy? I got my PA's in a 12E, but I have like 1/2" or so of room in the toe so I'd like to exchange them for an 11.5E, but I'm not sure if I can do that since the sale is over?
They also fit weird in those sizes... at least on me.

As far as returns (and this is unhelpful to you, so sorry for that, but might help others down the line): When buying shoes for the first time (i.e. you haven't tried on the shoe you're buying in a store and are not replacing an old pair) online as part of a limited time price, order at least two pair in the sizes you think you might be and then return the ones that don't fit. The only caveat to doing this is that you always have to check to make sure that the sale is not final. (Also, some sites will have liberal general return policies but then sale items are subject to a no return/exchange policy, so look out for that.) Heck, if you find some you like at Zappos, they've got free shipping going both ways -- outbound and return.

If you time it right (order right after the monthly close of your CC statement), you're certain to have the extra pair(s) disappear from your bill before it's due.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:55 pm

BVest wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I can see how they would look a little weird if you go bigger than size 12 or so.

As far as returns (and this is unhelpful to you, so sorry for that, but might help others down the line): When buying shoes for the first time (i.e. you haven't tried on the shoe you're buying in a store and are not replacing an old pair) online as part of a limited time price, order at least two pair in the sizes you think you might be and then return the ones that don't fit. The only caveat to doing this is that you always have to check to make sure that the sale is not final. (Also, some sites will have liberal general return policies but then sale items are subject to a no return/exchange policy, so look out for that.) Heck, if you find some you like at Zappos, they've got free shipping going both ways -- outbound and return.

If you time it right (order right after the monthly close of your CC statement), you're certain to have the extra pair(s) disappear from your bill before it's due.
The good thing about good sales is that even if it is final, you can sell them on ebay as brand new in box for at least as much as you paid for them usually.

I didn't think to do that, though, because 12E is my size in EVERY dress shoe I've ever tried on. I'll look into the policy, but really the shoe is fine just a little long. I can probably stuff the toe slightly and not even notice.

guyplus

New

Post by guyplus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:
BVest wrote:

The good thing about good sales is that even if it is final, you can sell them on ebay as brand new in box for at least as much as you paid for them usually.

I didn't think to do that, though, because 12E is my size in EVERY dress shoe I've ever tried on. I'll look into the policy, but really the shoe is fine just a little long. I can probably stuff the toe slightly and not even notice.
I was told they wouldn't exchange. Trying a different rep today. Let me know if you have any luck.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:14 pm

1. Any good interview shoes that are cheaper alternatives to Park Avenues?

2. If I pull the trigger on PAs, should I get black, black cordovans or black calf (can't tell the diff from pic)? http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Ave ... PDKIKX0DER

3. Is it the "norm" to wear black shoes only for OCI (for both navy/charcoal suit)? I know it probably won't make a difference but I'd like to stay as conservative as possible and have the peace of mind

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 pm

senorhosh wrote:1. Any good interview shoes that are cheaper alternatives to Park Avenues?

2. If I pull the trigger on PAs, should I get black, black cordovans or black calf (can't tell the diff from pic)? http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Ave ... PDKIKX0DER

3. Is it the "norm" to wear black shoes only for OCI (for both navy/charcoal suit)? I know it probably won't make a difference but I'd like to stay as conservative as possible and have the peace of mind
1. J&M Melton is the cheapest I'd go. I have both Park Aves and Meltons, and the Meltons are totally fine but won't last you as long.

2. Black, I'm pretty sure. Don't quote me on this, but the calfs are more matte finish, and the cordovans are shinier. I've never seen the other two in person, but the normal black is perfect.

3. Yep, it is. Some other colors are ok, but black is always acceptable (and preferred).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm

above post is right, cordovan is more expensive and less formal due to the shine and other things (creasing pattern, crease coloration etc). there shouldn't be a difference between "black" and "black calf" in AE's PA. i'd choose option "black"

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:28 pm

senorhosh wrote:1. Any good interview shoes that are cheaper alternatives to Park Avenues?

Black and black calf are going to be the same, I'm pretty sure. Cordovan is horsehide and more expensive but nicer. It doesn't crease, it 'ripples' and is really the best leather you're gonna get. Nevertheless, there's really no reason you should buy it.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Cole Haan Caldwell.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
nope
didnt pufer say that lauren suits are decent buys?
At or around $200 (back when they were always available at Sierra Trading Post, the target was $181), they're a decent option if you need a passable suit for cheap. 50% off list at MW is still too high.

-Pufer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Did I make a mistake in getting talked into a midnight suit? I can't take it back as I've already tailored it and stuff.

edit

Here's the suit for reference: --LinkRemoved--

I'm never going to wear the vest or anything...I just happened to like the rest of the suit. I initially wanted to go with something different but the SO and the sales lady talked me into this one. I felt pretty comfortable with it but now that I have it at home and am thinking about it more, I might be second guessing myself. I also didn't pay anything near that price for the record.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:Did I make a mistake in getting talked into a midnight suit? I can't take it back as I've already tailored it and stuff.

edit

Here's the suit for reference: --LinkRemoved--

I'm never going to wear the vest or anything...I just happened to like the rest of the suit. I initially wanted to go with something different but the SO and the sales lady talked me into this one. I felt pretty comfortable with it but now that I have it at home and am thinking about it more, I might be second guessing myself. I also didn't pay anything near that price for the record.
Midnight is often used to reference a very dark navy, which is fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I think it will work.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:12 pm

LRGhost wrote:
olive16 wrote:So what's the TLS groupthink re: striped ties with solid suit/shirt?
I think people hate on repp stripes a little too much. They're fairly normal, regular, and inoffensive. They may be objective better options but it's not like a repp tie is going to hurt you. Smaller stripes are probably bad.
+1

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Does anybody have a suggestion on a good winter coat (for rainy/cold winter climate) that is nice/dressy enough to be decent in future jobs? I've never had to buy a winter coat before so any advice helps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”