OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Flips88 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:12 am

kalvano wrote:Yes. Get laces, some sort of traditional cap toe. While most of the post in this thread are terribly OCD and irrelevant, traditional lace-up capmtoes are a must.
Ah yes. everything else is irrelevant, but what the last 2 inches of your shoes look like is REAL SRS BSNS. I hope that you are trolling.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:18 am

Flips88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Yes. Get laces, some sort of traditional cap toe. While most of the post in this thread are terribly OCD and irrelevant, traditional lace-up capmtoes are a must.
Ah yes. everything else is irrelevant, but what the last 2 inches of your shoes look like is REAL SRS BSNS. I hope that you are trolling.

People look at your shoes. If you have decent looking shoes, no one cares if they are rubber sole or leather, or if they are Allen Edmonds or Johnston & Murphy, or any of the many variations on that that permeate the thread. The shoes he posted are not decent looking, and should not be worn to an interview. They are far too casual (and ugly) for a formal interview.

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:15 am

You cannot wear tassel loafers to an interview. You can wear them when you're a partner.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 am

Lulz

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:29 am

kalvano wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

People look at your shoes. If you have decent looking shoes, no one cares if they are rubber sole or leather, or if they are Allen Edmonds or Johnston & Murphy, or any of the many variations on that that permeate the thread. The shoes he posted are not decent looking, and should not be worn to an interview. They are far too casual (and ugly) for a formal interview.
Abso-freaking-lutely this. Are you guys trying to troll this dude? You do not wear tassle loafers to an interview. Period. This is one of the least controversial things ITT. Wear basic lace-ups.

Also, I am sick and tired of people ITT with the "No one cares what you wear" mantra. We had a discussion about this at a summer lunch a few weeks ago and the hiring partner and recruiter both said they've dinged people before they even sat down based on some stupid style choice the person made. Again, 9/10 times the person won't notice, but things like wearing a shirt with too big of a neck, wearing a ridiculous suit, wearing flamboyant shirt colors, etc. are things they (my firm) has dinged people for. How you look makes an impression. Wearing tassle loafers would almost certainly fall in this "Are you a goddamn moron?" category.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:10 pm

LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Is there an unwritten rule against wingtip oxfords? All I see is talk of captoes...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I seriously hope the cap toe thing isn't that important. I just bought some J&M shoes I really like and they are not cap toe.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:I seriously hope the cap toe thing isn't that important. I just bought some J&M shoes I really like and they are not cap toe.
cap toes are optional in DEBTOR'S PRISON

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm

luckyme wrote:
LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Is there an unwritten rule against wingtip oxfords? All I see is talk of captoes...
I would say yes. They're too risky for an interview because they're a step below captoes on the formality scale.

Link to the J&M's you bought?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't have captoe shoes. Fucked?

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have captoe shoes. Fucked?
This is ridiculous; I'm wearing wingtips

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:47 pm

luckyme wrote:
this stuff about LACES ONLY is really funny.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
luckyme wrote:
this stuff about LACES ONLY is really funny.
Captoes v. Wingtips is a bit. But I eagerly await being shown a pair of slip-on dress shoes that wouldn't look ridiculous with an interview suit.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 pm

LeDique wrote:
Captoes v. Wingtips is a bit. But I eagerly await being shown a pair of slip-on dress shoes that wouldn't look ridiculous with an interview suit.
i think you have zero idea what you're talking about, but let's not fight.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:13 pm

LeDique wrote:
luckyme wrote:
I would say yes. They're too risky for an interview because they're a step below captoes on the formality scale.

Link to the J&M's you bought?
Not totally sure these are the ones (they're in my bag and I'm in an airport on my phone).

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &VID=90251

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Not totally sure these are the ones (they're in my bag and I'm in an airport on my phone).

not so hot. i'd probably get new ones.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Abso-freaking-lutely this. Are you guys trying to troll this dude? You do not wear tassle loafers to an interview. Period. This is one of the least controversial things ITT. Wear basic lace-ups.

Also, I am sick and tired of people ITT with the "No one cares what you wear" mantra. We had a discussion about this at a summer lunch a few weeks ago and the hiring partner and recruiter both said they've dinged people before they even sat down based on some stupid style choice the person made. Again, 9/10 times the person won't notice, but things like wearing a shirt with too big of a neck, wearing a ridiculous suit, wearing flamboyant shirt colors, etc. are things they (my firm) has dinged people for. How you look makes an impression. Wearing tassle loafers would almost certainly fall in this "Are you a goddamn moron?" category.
Obviously it matters what people wear. What doesn't matter is wearing only a navy or charcoal suit, white shirt, red or blue pindot tie, black captoe shoes, although you could forgive someone for thinking that after reading this thread for the first time. You need to look professional and well put together. Everything needs to fit, you can't wear anything too flamboyant. But thinking that brown shoes, plain as opposed to captoe oxfords, or a light gray or subtle pinstripe suit is going to stop you from getting a callback/offer is ridiculous.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Serious?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Serious?
High quality anon usage

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Emma. wrote:But thinking that brown shoes, plain as opposed to captoe oxfords, or a light gray or subtle pinstripe suit is going to stop you from getting a callback/offer is ridiculous.
Did I say that Emma? No, I did not. I don't think anyone has said that. What is with all the straw men ITT? I'm sure plenty of people have gotten jobs with a wide variety of attire, but this thread is about best practices. Also, there is a world of difference between say, a decent looking pair of non-captoe lace-ups in brown or something, and going in with tassle loafers. When people say "charcoal suit, black cap toes, white shirt, burgundy/dark blue tie," it's just a "model look" or whatever for people who have no idea at all what to wear. It is totally fine to deviate here and there. But tassle loafers? That's just an objectively dumb thing to wear with a suit to an interview, even if the interviewer doesn't notice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Emma. wrote:
Obviously it matters what people wear. What doesn't matter is wearing only a navy or charcoal suit, white shirt, red or blue pindot tie, black captoe shoes, although you could forgive someone for thinking that after reading this thread for the first time. You need to look professional and well put together. Everything needs to fit, you can't wear anything too flamboyant. But thinking that brown shoes, plain as opposed to captoe oxfords, or a light gray or subtle pinstripe suit is going to stop you from getting a callback/offer is ridiculous.
I think it makes a difference where you're interviewing. It's both ridiculous and true that some interviewers for DC are going to side-eye subtle pinstripes.

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, thanks for all the help guys. Didn't mean to incite a firestorm. I guess I'll be buying some new shoes.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a suit pretty similar to this one:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... ND%3DTommy Hilfiger%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D22%26ruleId%3D66%26slotId%3D10

Grey with thin pinstripes (although not a 3 piece like in the pic). Is this inappropriate/bad for OCI? They're thin and subtle like in this pic, but closely spaced like in the pic. That pic is a pretty good approximation of what it looks like.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, I'm not gonna buy new shoes.

/cautiontothewind

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”