OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm

fatduck wrote:
WODKilla123 wrote:tcr cuffs = for fats

Lean, tailored fit suit with plain front pants ftw!
are you confusing cuffs with pleats?

i personally think cuffs are good for tall skinny types - makes you look less stringbean
You should never have cuffs without pleats.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fatduck wrote:

i personally think cuffs are good for tall skinny types - makes you look less stringbean
THANK YOU.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fatduck wrote:

my bad, didn't make the mental connection there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 pm

No cuffs if you're short is a myth. If you're shorter than 5 feet, 10 inches, your cuff width needs to be 1 5/8 inches. If you're taller, 1 3/4 inches.

If you know how to pull off cuffs it can look much better than cuffless.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No cuffs if you're short is a myth. If you're shorter than 5 feet, 10 inches, your cuff width needs to be 1 5/8 inches. If you're taller, 1 3/4 inches.

How exactly should I be pulling it off? I've tried short cuffs, I've tried long cuffs. I've tried cuffs with pleated pants. I even (once) tried cuffs with pleatless pants (and quickly had them taken off). I've tried them on odd trousers, and I've tried them with suits. What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure they just look old-fashioned, and not in a good way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No cuffs if you're short is a myth. If you're shorter than 5 feet, 10 inches, your cuff width needs to be 1 5/8 inches. If you're taller, 1 3/4 inches.

How exactly should I be pulling it off? I've tried short cuffs, I've tried long cuffs. I've tried cuffs with pleated pants. I even (once) tried cuffs with pleatless pants (and quickly had them taken off). I've tried them on odd trousers, and I've tried them with suits. What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure they just look old-fashioned, and not in a good way.
Try a single, reverse pleat. No reason to go with double pleat. Also, make sure the pleat is placed correctly. The outer edge of the pleat should morph into the crease 2/3 way down your thigh, that is, a few inches above your knee. Cheaper pants have the pleat on the outside and the crease on the inside, as if they're two separate things. Also, you need to make sure the crotch and seat have enough room. If you pleats (or your pockets) are pulling open when you stand or walk, the seat and crotch needs to be let out . . . a pleat should be a sleek line, not a gaping canyon.

The whole purpose of pleats is to make your pants drape better. They will not work with a straight leg; you'll have extra fabric dancing around your ankle when you walk. To get that perfect, elegant drape, the pants must be cuffed. Traditionally, cuffs covered all your laces, had a full break over the shoe, and ended right at your heel. But you want to try something called the "mid-atlantic." The front of your pleat should touch the third row of lace eyelets, go straight back over the shoe, no break, and should end 1/3 of the way down your shoes. As I said, this only works with a tapered leg. It allows the weight of the cuff to pull the pants, keeping your crease crisper and pleat sleek. Younger guys will wonder how you pull off cuffs. Older guys will see you as the one young guy who can dress in the office.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Suits without cuffs look awful, pleats or no.

Also, it's damn hard to find my perfect suit these days: 3-piece, pleated pants, and unvented jacket.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Unvented? That sounds mad uncomfortable, bro.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Man good thing these posts are anonymous to keep your knowledge of pleats a mystery from future employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Suits without cuffs look awful, pleats or no.
No man of class has ever worn un-pleated pants with cuffs.

romothesavior wrote:Man good thing these posts are anonymous to keep your knowledge of pleats a mystery from future employers.
I don't want 300 people pm'ing me to ask which cut of Brooks Brothers suit they should order for OCI.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Unvented? That sounds mad uncomfortable, bro.
It's not at all. I find it much nicer, and it fits much better.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

AnonymousUser wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Man good thing these posts are anonymous to keep your knowledge of pleats a mystery from future employers.
I don't want 300 people pm'ing me to ask which cut of Brooks Brothers suit they should order for OCI.
lulz yes, we all want to know.
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Suits without cuffs look awful, pleats or no.
No man of class has ever worn un-pleated pants with cuffs.
Cuffs are more formal, regardless of pleat or not. Cuffs and pleats together exist because of the way pleated pants hang. Cuffs balance out the pleats. Uncuffed pants make you look like a 12-year-old kid trying to star in a rap video. Unless you're super-skinny, it looks wrong.

Anonymous User wrote:
So don't answer. But it's still abusing the feature for no real reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

kalvano wrote:Cuffs are more formal, regardless of pleat or not.
Untrue. They're from different traditions. Cuffs come from England & flat fronts come from Italy. You can find them on the same pair of pants but it's not in good taste.

Many of history's most well-dressed men (Fred Astaire, the Duke of Windsor, Cary Grant) have worn cuff-less pants in formal settings. I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

Even so, I'll stop "abusing the anon feature."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Bought two Signature Tailored Fit Jos A Bank suits today for $540 total. 70% off email coupon.

It was extremely frustrating because in all my experiences there the salesmen have been either a.) shockingly uninformed about suit fitting, b.) just trying to sell me shit and lying to me, or c.) both. The same exact suit in different colors would also fit entirely different.

I took my knowledge from this thread to fit my own suits and got two that seemed to fit everywhere but were long in the sleeve, and maybe could be let a bit out in the waist. I'm hoping that when I take it to a tailor he'll say they're good enough to work with and fit me into them.

Anyways, $270 for a Signature JAB isn't bad. I'll take the money I'm saving here and buy some nicer shoes to make me feel better. I'll get a couple M2M suits when I graduate.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am

I got a "tailored fit" 36S suit from JAB and I'm still swimming in it. Just gonna have to accept that JAB doesn't make products for skinny or young dudes. Hittin up a quality tailor this week to see if it can be salvaged.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:42 am

You guys need to start eating more protein :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:You guys need to start eating more protein :)
Funny, was just looking into buying some today :lol: Any recommendations?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I got a "tailored fit" 36S suit from JAB and I'm still swimming in it. Just gonna have to accept that JAB doesn't make products for skinny or young dudes. Hittin up a quality tailor this week to see if it can be salvaged.
I would recommend their slim-fit line, but they went entirely in the other extreme for them and they don't fit anybody unless they want to look like their suit doesn't fit them. I'm normally a 36 chest, and even a 38 slim-fit JAB was ridiculous.

The shoulders are just a tad boxy on my tailored fit, but not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. I'm a pretty fit and slim guy so it was a pleasant surprise. It's the slightest bit snug, but if I went a size larger I was ready to go base jumping.

You definitely get what you pay for at JAB. Just make sure you're not paying more than $300.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am

kalvano wrote:
Also, it's damn hard to find my perfect suit these days: 3-piece, pleated pants, and unvented jacket.
Is this a joke?

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 am

Anti-vegan trolling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Funny, was just looking into buying some today :lol: Any recommendations?
Late on this, but normal whey should do the trick, and if you're going to be lifting weights perhaps invest in some casein. I find ON products to be more than sufficient. Load up on eggs and chicken (bacon and other fats won't hurt, either).

On another note, I'm going to laugh when I've spent all this money getting ready for OCI and have zero interviews. Wheeeeeee

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:58 am

TCR is ON Gold Standard Whey.

Also, does anyone know how on sale 1818 suits usually run during the Xmas sale? I paid 700 for a navy fitz during the summer sale and think I'm going to hold off until after the holidays to grab a charcoal one. Hopefully they will get closer to 500??

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

is a charcoal gray suit with oxblood AEs and an oxblood belt conservative enough for OCI/callbacks?

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 pm

letsdoit wrote:is a charcoal gray suit with oxblood AEs and an oxblood belt conservative enough for OCI/callbacks?
I would go black/black until I got an offer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”