OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kwais

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Those should be more than acceptable.
thanks, these are neurotic times

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

I am never going to buy a Jos A Bank suit again. As someone mentioned, it is pretty well understood that they are tailored to bigger people. I was swimming in mine (and we are close to the same size). I never got it tailored (because the salesguy insisted it looked great after they did their in house tailoring thing - and then I tried to not to wear it unless I absolutely had to). It might be more tolerable with significant tailoring/alterations. But the worst problems are the shoulders, I think (which I'm told are also the hardest to fix). They put tons of padding in mine. It makes me feel like a football player. And the pants got REALLY wide from my waist down to my knee or so. Like parachute pants.

I can't overstate how much better the Hugo Boss one is. It looks fantastic and it feels great. I would really recommend at least trying one on since you are so skinny.
Last edited by shock259 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:00 pm

shock259 wrote:I am never going to buy a Jos A Bank suit again. As someone mentioned, it is pretty well understood that they are tailored to bigger people. I was swimming in mine (and we are close to the same size). I never got it tailored (because the salesguy insisted it looked great after they did their in house tailoring thing - and then I tried to not to wear it unless I absolutely had to). It might be more tolerable with significant tailoring/alterations. But the worst problems are the shoulders, I think (which I'm told are also the hardest to fix). They put tons of padding in mine. It makes me feel like a football player. And the pants got REALLY wide from my waist down to my knee or so. Like parachute pants.

I can't tell you how much better the Hugo Boss one is. It looks fantastic and it feels great. I would really recommend at least trying one on since you are so skinny.
Excellent, thanks. Have you tried JAB's dress shirts as well/had the same problem?

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm

PennBull wrote:
shock259 wrote:I am never going to buy a Jos A Bank suit again. As someone mentioned, it is pretty well understood that they are tailored to bigger people. I was swimming in mine (and we are close to the same size). I never got it tailored (because the salesguy insisted it looked great after they did their in house tailoring thing - and then I tried to not to wear it unless I absolutely had to). It might be more tolerable with significant tailoring/alterations. But the worst problems are the shoulders, I think (which I'm told are also the hardest to fix). They put tons of padding in mine. It makes me feel like a football player. And the pants got REALLY wide from my waist down to my knee or so. Like parachute pants.

I can't tell you how much better the Hugo Boss one is. It looks fantastic and it feels great. I would really recommend at least trying one on since you are so skinny.
Excellent, thanks. Have you tried JAB's dress shirts as well/had the same problem?
JAB's shirts are fantastic.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Y'all are some small folks lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

PennBull wrote:

JAB's tailored fit dress shirts fit me perfectly. I'm about 5-10, 180. They're not as slim or fashion-forward as an Express 1MX or something like that, but they don't leave any extra material hanging out of my pants either.

Their regular dress shirts, on the other hand, make my upper body look like a balloon.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I bought some shirts there a long, long time ago and they fit horribly. When I would raise my arms, I would have a small sail before my elbow and my waist. It looked like one of those skydiving people.

That said, I'm guessing they have slim versions now that may be better. I just kind of gave up on them, though.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
PennBull wrote:

JAB's tailored fit dress shirts fit me perfectly. I'm about 5-10, 180. They're not as slim or fashion-forward as an Express 1MX or something like that, but they don't leave any extra material hanging out of my pants either.

Their regular dress shirts, on the other hand, make my upper body look like a balloon.
^^^ This is credited. I got the regular dress shirt tailored, however, and it's perfect now.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

I've bought a lot of stuff at JAB over the years. The past few years, on suits, their quality has gone downhill by a lot. They aren't very well-made, and they are tailored for really big guys. I'm pretty big (6', 225) and they still swim on me. I'd rather spend $400 at Saks Off Fifth or Last Call Neiman's for a Hugo Boss or a Hickey Freeman that fits perfect off the rack, and looks like a higher-quality suit as well.

JAB shirts are OK, but for me they aren't as nice as the Brooks Brothers Slim Fit non-iron. Those just look and feel much better. Of course, they are more expensive, so if the JAB shirts fit you, then go for it.

But steer clear of the suits if you can spare an extra $100 or so. There are just too many good options out there for not too much more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

kalvano wrote:I've bought a lot of stuff at JAB over the years. The past few years, on suits, their quality has gone downhill by a lot. They aren't very well-made, and they are tailored for really big guys. I'm pretty big (6', 225) and they still swim on me. I'd rather spend $400 at Saks Off Fifth or Last Call Neiman's for a Hugo Boss or a Hickey Freeman that fits perfect off the rack, and looks like a higher-quality suit as well.

JAB shirts are OK, but for me they aren't as nice as the Brooks Brothers Slim Fit non-iron. Those just look and feel much better. Of course, they are more expensive, so if the JAB shirts fit you, then go for it.

But steer clear of the suits if you can spare an extra $100 or so. There are just too many good options out there for not too much more.
This seems like the echoed thought throughout TLS. I think I would like to buy a slightly nicer suit, and it seems like JAB won't fit me anyways.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 am

PennBull wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've bought a lot of stuff at JAB over the years. The past few years, on suits, their quality has gone downhill by a lot. They aren't very well-made, and they are tailored for really big guys. I'm pretty big (6', 225) and they still swim on me. I'd rather spend $400 at Saks Off Fifth or Last Call Neiman's for a Hugo Boss or a Hickey Freeman that fits perfect off the rack, and looks like a higher-quality suit as well.

This seems like the echoed thought throughout TLS. I think I would like to buy a slightly nicer suit, and it seems like JAB won't fit me anyways.
If you're going to spend $400-500, consider getting a suit from Suitsupply. They're seriously fantastic, they fit great (not too euro-trendy, but they're a slimmer cut than most other suits off the rack suits), and their price is quite reasonable. If you have a good tailor and know your size, you can get the pants hemmed and be set pretty quickly. The website looks nuts since they offer so many patterns, but they do the basics really well too.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 am

Nordstrom has a pretty good sale going on right now. I was able to pick up a Hugo Boss suit for $300 off, a couple of good ties for ~$40, shirts for about $40, etc. You have to sign up for their credit card, though.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 am

shock259 wrote:Nordstrom has a pretty good sale going on right now. I was able to pick up a Hugo Boss suit for $300 off, a couple of good ties for ~$40, shirts for about $40, etc. You have to sign up for their credit card, though.
Or just wait for Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
PennBull wrote:

If you're going to spend $400-500, consider getting a suit from Suitsupply. They're seriously fantastic, they fit great (not too euro-trendy, but they're a slimmer cut than most other suits off the rack suits), and their price is quite reasonable. If you have a good tailor and know your size, you can get the pants hemmed and be set pretty quickly. The website looks nuts since they offer so many patterns, but they do the basics really well too.
Yeah im close to taking the plunge on one. Seems like just the thing for me. I just wish I could try one in a store. If I ordered one this week could I have it delivered and then fully tailored by someone by august 10th?
Last edited by PennBull on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 am

Can I wear brown Allen Edmonds Park Aves with blazer, slacks, no tie? Or would this be major fashion faux pas for business casual? I've heard mixed things but don't want to buy loafers or anything when I don't have the Park Aves as a staple, since it's more versitile and can be worn with a suit.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:09 am

drbarry987 wrote:Can I wear brown Allen Edmonds Park Aves with blazer, slacks, no tie? Or would this be major fashion faux pas for business casual? I've heard mixed things but don't want to buy loafers or anything when I don't have the Park Aves as a staple, since it's more versitile and can be worn with a suit.
huh?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

drbarry987 wrote:Can I wear brown Allen Edmonds Park Aves with blazer, slacks, no tie? Or would this be major fashion faux pas for business casual? I've heard mixed things but don't want to buy loafers or anything when I don't have the Park Aves as a staple, since it's more versitile and can be worn with a suit.
Sure, that seems fine. Only the most hardcore fashionistas on TLS will tell you that wearing PAs without a suit is unacceptable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 am

(Crossposted from the Men's Fashion thread)

Found a Hickey Freeman half-canvassed navy for 530. This is a good deal right? I was hoping to spend 350-500 but this seems nice, fits me near perfect off the rack and might be a good bargain?

Or can I find better?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 am

after buying a few of their suits, i'll recommend Paul Betenly. half-canvassed, good cut, and you can find them on sale for $400.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 am

Possibly very stupid question: where standard practice seems to be blue or red ties for interviews, does this include striped ties? I assume it does but wanted to get the broader consensus. And are French cuffs/cufflinks an absolute no-go for OCI screeners/callbacks? A vocal minority seems to be against anything flashy, but what if the links themselves aren't flashy?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:08 am

mr_toad wrote:Possibly very stupid question: where standard practice seems to be blue or red ties for interviews, does this include striped ties? I assume it does but wanted to get the broader consensus. And are French cuffs/cufflinks an absolute no-go for OCI screeners/callbacks? A vocal minority seems to be against anything flashy, but what if the links themselves aren't flashy?
Of course you can wear a striped tie, especially if your suit is solid color. Remember not to take the advice in this thread too literally. Its just supposed to be a general guide. Of course there is room for discretion so long as its both professional and on the conservative side. The same goes for cufflinks and things of that nature. There are flashy cufflinks and conservative ones. Use your discretion on it. If it truly isn't flashy, and compliments the outfit well, then there is no problem. Again, this thread isn't a bulletpointed list, as much as it is a general guide.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 am

mr_toad wrote:Possibly very stupid question: where standard practice seems to be blue or red ties for interviews, does this include striped ties? I assume it does but wanted to get the broader consensus. And are French cuffs/cufflinks an absolute no-go for OCI screeners/callbacks? A vocal minority seems to be against anything flashy, but what if the links themselves aren't flashy?
Personally, I'm not a fan of striped ties. If it's tasteful, however, I doubt it would offend anyone. With regard to that, and fashion choices in general, remember the golden rule: the interviewer shouldn't remember what you were wearing, only what you had to say. I'd stay away from cufflinks, but once again that's a personal choice. As Pufer said, getting suits tailored for them is a bitch. I also don't see what I would have to gain with them.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks to both of the above responders. Stupid question --> good answers.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:58 am

PennBull wrote:(Crossposted from the Men's Fashion thread)

Found a Hickey Freeman half-canvassed navy for 530. This is a good deal right? I was hoping to spend 350-500 but this seems nice, fits me near perfect off the rack and might be a good bargain?

Or can I find better?

I love my Hickey Freeman suit. It looks great and fits perfect.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am

Could somebody tell me if this NAVY is dark enough, I just need a benchmark for how dark i should go.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... ND%3DTommy Hilfiger%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D22%26ruleId%3D66%26slotId%3D11

It says deep blue navy..but honestly, it looks considerably lighter than the navy from BB and other places..kinda need an idea how dark it needs to be

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”