OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by desertlaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Casual-Med ... 0032wt_724

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 pm

desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.

Nevermind. I just measured and it's way too small. (That's what she said).

Disregard.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:06 pm

desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

same, i just picked one up for around $60 at nordstrom rack.

related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 pm

traehekat wrote:

related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?
Wow, I need to check that out. Want to have a nice and serviceable bag for this summer without shelling out big bucks, so that sounds perfect. I'm sure a somewhat-pricier bag will be among the graduation gifts, so I just need one to make it through the summer.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:31 pm

traehekat wrote:

I brought one to my 1L SA for the first couple of days, but that was it. Never needed it - the only reason I brought it the first week was to carry my bluebook cause I needed it at home for the write-on competition and at work to cite cases. I will bring it with me when I move cities for my 2L SA, but I dont plan on bringing it to work unless there is a need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 am

Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 am

TTRansfer wrote:Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.
They're nice shoes but they're pretty loud. Would depend a lot on you and the rest of your wardrobe.

Also, how business casual is this SA? A suit with AEs seems much closer to business professional than business casual.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 am

romothesavior wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.
They're nice shoes but they're pretty loud. Would depend a lot on you and the rest of your wardrobe.

Also, how business casual is this SA? A suit with AEs seems much closer to business professional than business casual.
That's why I am thinking of going with the darker brown. The walnut would be way too God damn loud, hah.

The firm is business casual in the sense that they expect me to be wearing a suit jacket but pretty much whatever shirt I want, whatever tie I want (if I want a tie) and such. So I can be semi-loud in certain areas. Basically, they say they want SAs in a suit just to be ready to go to court/depositions but what you wear besides the suit jacket and pants themselves is up to you.

Shoe wise, most of the people in the office were sporting pretty nice shoes. Captoes and wingtips mixed with some slip ons. The dress is kind of all over, in a sense.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Sounds like dress is business professional. A suit, shirt, and tie is business professional, no matter how it is sliced.

In that case, I'd say go for them if you like them. It sounds like they will fit in with the office fashion culture just fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sounds like dress is business professional. A suit, shirt, and tie is business professional, no matter how it is sliced.

In that case, I'd say go for them if you like them. It sounds like they will fit in with the office fashion culture just fine.
That's kind of my thoughts. Sometimes the partners come in with just a sportcoat and sweater, but I didn't see any of the associates going that casual (they all had on suits and no tie). I'll probably have to keep a tie with me at the minimum to throw on when clients come in.

And yeah, on the fitting in part -- I think they will be fine there. Hopefully the fit is good on them, because it's hard finding a decent shoe wide enough.

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 pm

traehekat wrote: related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?
any SA at my NYC biglaw firm would have been ridiculed for having a briefcase

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

sidgey wrote:
traehekat wrote: related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?
I used a bag as a summer associate. It wasn't a briefcase though, it was a messenger bag. I carried my change of clothes for the softball league, a book for the commute, my wallet, phone, keys, carry work home if I was gonna work that night/on the weekend, stuff like that.

If you show up with a bag just to have a bag, that is silly. If you are actually using it to carry stuff, then anyone making fun of you is silly.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:24 pm

There have been some serious advances in fanny pack technology recently which make briefcases basically obsolete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 pm

afghan007 wrote:too light for NYC SA?

http://www.blacklapel.com/media/catalog ... _front.png
Only if you wear it with that ridiculous hairdo.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 am

mirodh wrote:Thanks for the reply, I am a native Texas though so I operate under the assumption that an undershirt is required. Also, on deodorant, I have always been a "just grab and use whatever" kind of guy, is there any out there that really does work well all day and will keep me dry?
Sure antiperspirant has the best cost to active ingredient ratio (same shit as the big brand so-called clinical stuff, only at five fewer bucks and 1-2% less concentration, which is still like 4-5% more than most of the other major brands). It's considered unisex, so some of the scents are kinda lame if you're into scented deodorant, but it comes in unscented.

The real stuff is Certain Dri (the roll-on at night stuff; the stick version is identical to Sure). If Certain Dri doesn't work, you need to see a doctor.

With an undershirt and some Certain Dri, the only remaining issue is going to be the potential for a sweat band at the top of your collar if you're used to more neck ventilation when you're hot (the band is commonly seen amongst folks not used to wearing ties all the time, and made all the more annoying because it is something you can't cover with your jacket). On that, make sure your collar is properly sized and your tie isn't too tight (you should be able to pretty easily slide a finger all the way around your neck with your tie on). Also, you'll want to avoid colored shirts until you acclimate to your new garb; sweat shows up a lot clearer on a colored shirt than if you go with a white shirt of some sort.

-Pufer

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 am

Bosque wrote:
sidgey wrote:
I used a bag as a summer associate. It wasn't a briefcase though, it was a messenger bag. I carried my change of clothes for the softball league, a book for the commute, my wallet, phone, keys, carry work home if I was gonna work that night/on the weekend, stuff like that.

If you show up with a bag just to have a bag, that is silly. If you are actually using it to carry stuff, then anyone making fun of you is silly.
Agreed - my colleagues had either gym bags, messenger bags or backpacks across the board. I was referring to briefcases specifically as making someone the object of ridicule.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 pm

One rule I was never clear on:

Tie fabric. I've always worn silk ties for interviews, etc. I've never seen it written anywhere that there's an actual rule to that effect, but I've picked it up somewhere. Are wool ties OCI appropriate? I'm pretty sure linen and knits are way too casual.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 pm

mrloblaw wrote:One rule I was never clear on:

Tie fabric. I've always worn silk ties for interviews, etc. I've never seen it written anywhere that there's an actual rule to that effect, but I've picked it up somewhere. Are wool ties OCI appropriate? I'm pretty sure linen and knits are way too casual.

There is a rule: 100% silk or bust.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm

JAB is having a buy 1 get 2 sale. Anyone know if their calfskin or pebble grain belts are any good? I just did a google search but didn't find much besides general jab bashing

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 pm

turbotong wrote:JAB is having a buy 1 get 2 sale. Anyone know if their calfskin or pebble grain belts are any good? I just did a google search but didn't find much besides general jab bashing
Their accessories are not bad, especially at their prices.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm

zonto wrote:I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).
agree that they look less like plastic than a lot of other shoes, good buy IMO.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

traehekat wrote:
zonto wrote:I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

i have the same pair - love them. i only paid $100 but it was a combo deal with a suit. $147 is a decent price.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am

angrybird wrote:
traehekat wrote:

i have the same pair - love them. i only paid $100 but it was a combo deal with a suit. $147 is a decent price.
Noticed they were rubber instead of leather sole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”