OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Emma.

Gold

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:Lulz.

"The 3-roll-2 is a compromise. It’s found on many Savile Row single-breasteds, and is the classic buttoning for the undarted Ivy League-style “sack” suit. It’s the opposite of tacky - the epitome of class."

"...probably the most classic suit buttoning style, the 3-roll-2..."
Many Sevile Row suits are extremely fashion forward, even if derived from "classic Ivy League style," which itself is usually inappropriate for business dress as a category. For example, the fact that the the three roll two is a classic sack suit says it all: sack suits are basically for summer wear at cocktail hour, not for business wear.

And I don't know how the three roll two could under any circumstances be considered the classic suit buttoning style when the standard two button is obviously, indisputably the classic suit buttoning style. And we're talking about American fashion here. Does Brooks Brothers make a three roll two as a flagship line? Does Paul Stuart? Does J. Press?
Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? Many of J. Press "Pressidential Line" suits are 3 roll 2 suits, as are several Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suits. Just admit you are wrong and move on.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am

Emma. wrote:
GeePee wrote:
thesealocust wrote:srs question: I always assumed belts were mandatory as a part of the outfit, not just for practical reasons, but I occasionally see people beltless (and suspenderless). Is that legit?
It's a British trend for people that want to show off that they have custom-made (e.g. bespoke) or well tailored suit that fits perfectly. I don't buy into it but it's gained in popularity over the last 3-5 years. There's been a bit of a push-back against this, though, with even GQ saying that it's awkward to wear a pair of slacks with belt loops without a belt.
If you have custom made pants you get them made without the beltloops. I totally agree it would be ridiculous to wear a suit with beltloops but no belt.
Yeah, I sort of took suits made without belt loops out of the equation because it would be equally ridiculous to wear a belt with trousers that have none.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am

Emma. wrote:Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? Many of J. Press "Pressidential Line" suits are 3 roll 2 suits. Just admit you are wrong and move on.
It was actually a genuine question. You're the one that's get hyper defensive with the "WTFs" and "Lulz." I was just having a civil discussion and giving opinions to people with questions before you came into the picture. I see that a few of one of J. Press's lines a three roll twos, and they do look business appropriate, so I'll concede that. However, to assert that this relatively obscure line is more of a business standard the two button is unbelievable, and I don't know how you could tell me to move on from that point.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? Many of J. Press "Pressidential Line" suits are 3 roll 2 suits. Just admit you are wrong and move on.
It was actually a genuine question. You're the one that's get hyper defensive with the "WTFs" and "Lulz." I was just having a civil discussion and giving opinions to people with questions before you came into the picture. I see that a few of one of J. Press's lines a three roll twos, and they do look business appropriate, so I'll concede that. However, to assert that this relatively obscure line is more of a business standard the two button is unbelievable, and I don't know how you could tell me to move on from that point.
Did I ever make that assertion?

Also, I think we've established that they aren't "relatively obscure" just because you hadn't heard of them.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 am

Emma. wrote:Did I ever make that assertion?
Emma. wrote:"...probably the most classic suit buttoning style, the 3-roll-2..."
This is the first I've been introduced to them. I don't claim to be the ultimate style guru. I actually think the J. Press ones are nice looking. I was originally talking to the poster who originally mentioned the three roll two, and I didn't understand what it was. You said something to clarify his post, and I misunderstood what you were saying, but was still responding to what he was saying, thinking we were talking about regular three buttons. And I stand by what I said in that context.

I'll concede that the two roll three is a fine cut. I just won't admit that it's the most classic style, and I don't think it's an appropriate suit cut for first purchases or for OCI, which is what this thread is about. So you can what the fuck me all you want and get really aggressive in an on-topic thread, but I'm just trying to give basic advice for inexpensive, conservative OCI and young professional attire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:"...probably the most classic suit buttoning style, the 3-roll-2..."
This is the first I've been introduced to them. I don't claim to be the ultimate style guru. I actually think the J. Press ones are nice looking. I was originally talking to the poster who originally mentioned the three roll two, and I didn't understand what it was. You said something to clarify his post, and I misunderstood what you were saying, but was still responding to what he was saying, thinking we were talking about regular three buttons. And I stand by what I said in that context.

I'll concede that the two roll three is a fine cut. I just won't admit that it's the most classic style, and I don't think it's an appropriate suit cut for first purchases or for OCI, which is what this thread is about. So you can what the fuck me all you want and get really aggressive in an on-topic thread, but I'm just trying to give basic advice for inexpensive, conservative OCI and young professional attire.
I'm not going to get into an argument here, but the quote I posted doesn't claim that the cut is more of a business standard than a 2 button, just that it is "the most classic suit buttoning style."

I just came in here to explain something, and you were the one who jumped on me with:
Bronte wrote:How you extracted that from that post I cannot imagine, but that's false.
Which was demonstrably wrong. I also think you'll find that many, if not most, quality 3 button suits being made now are 3 roll 2s.

But whatever. Back to giving your advice, sir.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:35 am

Emma. wrote:
Bronte wrote:How you extracted that from that post I cannot imagine, but that's false.
Which was demonstrably wrong.

I apologize that the post came off that way. The "I don't know how you extracted that from that post" was mean to be a joke about the OP being a little incoherent. The "that's false" was in regard to a regular three button looking like a two button, which I've conceded was my fault. And as I've already said, I'm not a mighty advice giver. Just basic stuff that I've picked reading TLS suiting threads over the years, and I think I've been relatively cordial and deferential in doling it out.

I don't want a flame war either. Sorry for the miscommunication. Thanks for the information about the two roll three. Maybe I'll pick one up some day.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Which was demonstrably wrong.

I apologize that the post came off that way. The "I don't know how you extracted that from that post" was mean to be a joke about the OP being a little incoherent. The "that's false" was in regard to a regular three button looking like a two button, which I've conceded was my fault. And as I've already said, I'm not a mighty advice giver. Just basic stuff that I've picked reading TLS suiting threads over the years, and I think I've been relatively cordial and deferential in doling it out.

I don't want a flame war either. Sorry for the miscommunication. Thanks for the information about the two roll three. Maybe I'll pick one up some day.
No problem. I didn't want to come across as aggressive, just felt that I was trying to help out and it seemed like you were jumping on me with misinformation.

All my suits are 2 button, and I definitely agree that for the majority of people if they were to buy one suit for OCI it should be a 2 button (and charcoal grey.. I prefer double vented jackets but I think vents are totally personal preference).

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 am

Emma. wrote:No problem. I didn't want to come across as aggressive, just felt that I was trying to help out and it seemed like you were jumping on me with misinformation.

All my suits are 2 button, and I definitely agree that for the majority of people if they were to buy one suit for OCI it should be a 2 button (and charcoal grey.. I prefer double vented jackets but I think vents are totally personal preference).
I really prefer the way double vented jackets look as well, although mine are all single. I think double vented jackets have a slightly more fashion forward or European look, but in a tasteful way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:27 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:No problem. I didn't want to come across as aggressive, just felt that I was trying to help out and it seemed like you were jumping on me with misinformation.

I really prefer the way double vented jackets look as well, although mine are all single. I think double vented jackets have a slightly more fashion forward or European look, but in a tasteful way.

I hate single vent, hate it. Double vent is the only way to go.

Single vent = Jose Baez

Double vent = Harvey Spector

You choose............

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 am

How liberal is too liberal for an OCI suit? I'm working in Florida and have gotten a nice collection of light colored summer suits. My best suit is a light brown, sort of a weak coffee color. Can I get away with wearing this, or should I go for a more conservative Charcoal? Interviewing for Boston/NYC firms.
Image(I think this is it?)

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am

Cupidity, that's a nice a suit. I wish I had one like it. However, it's pretty well established that you should wear a dark suit to OCI.

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

Cupidity wrote:How liberal is too liberal for an OCI suit? I'm working in Florida and have gotten a nice collection of light colored summer suits. My best suit is a light brown, sort of a weak coffee color. Can I get away with wearing this, or should I go for a more conservative Charcoal? Interviewing for Boston/NYC firms.
It's not. Looks awful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

Bronte wrote:Cupidity, that's a nice a suit. I wish I had one like it. However, it's pretty well established that you should wear a dark suit to OCI.
this.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote: It's not. Looks awful.
If you don't go to BU, this is probably an abuse of anon.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 am

Cupidity wrote:
Even if he goes to BU it is still probably an abuse of anon. But I agree with the other posters that you should go with a dark suit for OCI, you will probably stand out as one of the only people not wearing a dark suit at OCI, and I don't think you want to stand out in that way.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 am

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Even if he goes to BU it is still probably an abuse of anon. But I agree with the other posters that you should go with a dark suit for OCI, you will probably stand out as one of the only people not wearing a dark suit at OCI, and I don't think you want to stand out in that way.
Alright, point taken. I shelf my brown suit unless I get some interviews down here in Florida. In Jacksonville, everyone dresses like this. Ton of tans/light greys with pink and lavender shirts. It's too goddamn hot for black.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:44 am

Thread moved. It's probably more appropriate here anyway.

emciosn

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

On shoe thing, I just bought my first pair of decent black cap toed, leather soled shoes (mainly because of this thread) and I'm thinking I should buy some polish to keep them looking nice and for OCI etc. I have no idea about this kind of stuff though, what is a good black shoe polish?

Thanks.

McFly

New

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by McFly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 pm

A lot of Nortdstrom's have a shoeshine station. They charge $2.50, but you typically just give them a $5 (to include tip). I have 3 pairs of Magnannis that I alternate through Monday-Friday. I try and get each pair shined every 3 months or so, or whenever they're looking scuffed/before a special occasion. In my opinion, that's the best way to do it. They all still look great and I've had them all for around 2 years. As someone else said, shoe trees are also a must for keeping them in the best condition possible.

I have some generic polish (can't remember the brand) that I used to use, but ever since I started getting them shined by a legit shoeshiner I haven't gone back.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 pm

D-hops wrote: But I agree with the other posters that you should go with a dark suit for OCI, you will probably stand out as one of the only people not wearing a dark suit at OCI, and I don't think you want to stand out in that way.
I'm going to wear a light grey suit to at least some of my interviews. I know the conventional wisdom is charcoal or navy, but I think that is more just because those are completely safe bets if you have no idea what you are doing. My light grey suit is totally fine to wear to court, so I don't have any qualms about it being appropriate for OCI. While I agree that you don't want to stand out as being poorly dressed, I don't think looking sharp while still being completely appropriate for a legal setting could ever cost you a callback.

I think TLS overemphasizes The Importance of Fitting In with everyone else at OCI, whereas hiring partners I have talked to say they appreciate the memorable candidates. To me it doesn't seem like wearing a lighter suit than what is worn by the majority of interviewers, especially if it is a well fitting suit, paired with a conservative suit and tie and quality dress shoes, would ever be a problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Bronte wrote:

There is no way you would ever, ever, ever get dinged for wearing a 3 roll 2 (yes, my mistake) at OCI. I rocked one at 1LOCI and did quite well. 2 button suits just look strange on some tall and thin people.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Cupidity wrote:How liberal is too liberal for an OCI suit? I'm working in Florida and have gotten a nice collection of light colored summer suits. My best suit is a light brown, sort of a weak coffee color. Can I get away with wearing this, or should I go for a more conservative Charcoal? Interviewing for Boston/NYC firms.
I would go with a light grey (ie lighter than charcoal) suit over that. If you have one. Light grey+ white shirt+ red or blue tie is a very classy look.

Veyron wrote: There is no way you would ever, ever, ever get dinged for wearing a 3 roll 2 (yes, my mistake) at OCI. I rocked one at 1LOCI and did quite well. 2 button suits just look strange on some tall and thin people.

Agreed. I'm 6'3" and 3 button suits just suit me better (bad pun intended). I'm not the biggest fan of 3 button blazers, but 3 button suits are perfectly acceptable for a tall person.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Emma. wrote:
D-hops wrote: But I agree with the other posters that you should go with a dark suit for OCI, you will probably stand out as one of the only people not wearing a dark suit at OCI, and I don't think you want to stand out in that way.
I'm going to wear a light grey suit to at least some of my interviews. I know the conventional wisdom is charcoal or navy, but I think that is more just because those are completely safe bets if you have no idea what you are doing. My light grey suit is totally fine to wear to court, so I don't have any qualms about it being appropriate for OCI. While I agree that you don't want to stand out as being poorly dressed, I don't think looking sharp while still being completely appropriate for a legal setting could ever cost you a callback.

I think TLS overemphasizes the importance of fitting in with everyone else at OCI, whereas hiring partners I have talked to say they appreciate the memorable candidates. To me it doesn't seem like wearing a lighter suit than what is worn by the majority of interviewers, especially if it is a well fitting suit, paired with a conservative suit and tie and quality dress shoes, would ever be a problem.
I agree with this, especially since OCI happens in the summertime when light gray suits are in season anyway.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Emma. wrote:

I think TLS overemphasizes the importance of fitting in with everyone else at OCI, whereas hiring partners I have talked to say they appreciate the memorable candidates. To me it doesn't seem like wearing a lighter suit than what is worn by the majority of interviewers, especially if it is a well fitting suit, paired with a conservative suit and tie and quality dress shoes, would ever be a problem.
I don't think the light grey suit is a huge deal, but I don't think you should want to be memorable because of what you are wearing. Be memorable for your interviewing skills. What you wear should be about not making an impression so the rest of your credentials can make one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”