OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thelawyler

Silver

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by thelawyler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:10 pm

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/p ... ?ID=478324

I found this suit for 50% off. It's 95% wool and the navy is a not as dark as the one from BB. Good OCI suit or should I go for something else? Maybe charcoal?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 pm

thelawyler wrote:http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/p ... ?ID=478324

I found this suit for 50% off. It's 95% wool and the navy is a not as dark as the one from BB. Good OCI suit or should I go for something else? Maybe charcoal?
Wool/Lycra® spandex
No.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
NeedSuits wrote:Just saw a JAB commercial. Everything in the store is half-off. And, then you can get another suit free after buying one for half-off.

So, basically, 2 suits for half the price of one.

Any warnings about JAB? Seems too good to be true, esp. for a 0L looking to save money!
Also interested in this. IIRC, Pufer said to jump all over a good deal with the Signature line, but that the Executive line wasn't as good.

Any posters currently have JAB suits? Would you recommend them?
I have a charcoal JAB Signature that I got for like $200 that I like and think looks good. The wool quality feels pretty solid for such a cheap suit. I can't speak much more to longevity because I haven't worn it much. Also note that most JAB's suits have a naturally boxy look with big, padded shoulders that I don't really like. I had the sides taken in and it looks a lot better than it did OTR, but sometimes the look isn't always fixable, so I'd try one on before you buy.

Oh, and looking at their current sale I'd probably swing for the Signature Gold because it's barely more expensive on a per-suit basis and it's half-canvassed rather than fused (I don't have any Sig Golds but I've heard good things.).

I also recommend their Traveler wrinkle-free shirts. All cotton and it actually stay wrinkle free out of the wash. I have a couple.

NeedSuits

New

Post by NeedSuits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
NeedSuits wrote:Just saw a JAB commercial. Everything in the store is half-off. And, then you can get another suit free after buying one for half-off.

So, basically, 2 suits for half the price of one.

Any warnings about JAB? Seems too good to be true, esp. for a 0L looking to save money!
Also interested in this. IIRC, Pufer said to jump all over a good deal with the Signature line, but that the Executive line wasn't as good.

Any posters currently have JAB suits? Would you recommend them?
I have a charcoal JAB Signature that I got for like $200 that I like and think looks good. The wool quality feels pretty solid for such a cheap suit. I can't speak much more to longevity because I haven't worn it much. Also note that most JAB's suits have a naturally boxy look with big, padded shoulders that I don't really like. I had the sides taken in and it looks a lot better than it did OTR, but sometimes the look isn't always fixable, so I'd try one on before you buy.

Oh, and looking at their current sale I'd probably swing for the Signature Gold because it's barely more expensive on a per-suit basis and it's half-canvassed rather than fused (I don't have any Sig Golds but I've heard good things.).

I also recommend their Traveler wrinkle-free shirts. All cotton and it actually stay wrinkle free out of the wash. I have a couple.
Thanks...do you recommend having the JAB tailor do the tailoring, or go elsewhere?

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 pm

NeedSuits wrote:Joseph A Bank is having a sale: buy 2 suits for half the price of 1 suit.

Some questions I have as I look through suit threads. Note, I currently have 0 suits as I'm getting ready of the old, ill-fitting, crappy ones I currently have:

1) Color choice. If I get four suits, I'd get navy, gray/charcoal, black and...what should the 4th be? Is this a good selection of colors?

2) I'm short (frickin' 5'7). Is slim fit okay so as not to make me look so stout?

3) Any general advice for a 0L looking to fill the suit wardrobe?

Also, are the Traveler Tailored Fit Suits from JAB not recommended?

I may go to the store to look and then order online. I get 6 bonus points for every dollar spent through my credit card (BOA World Points, if anyone is wondering). That's a lot of points to be had!
I'll answer ONLY because you sound somewhat genuinely interested, but seriously, the number of clothing questions on this site is crazy. Unless you need suits right now, wait to buy them. First, this is not a great sale considering the store (Jos A Bank frequently has sales like buy 1 suit, get 2 free, plus get 3 free no-iron shirts and 3 free ties). Second, you really don't need 4 suits until you begin working full-time (and even then, most places these days are business-casual). Third, your size may change from now until OCI time after your 1L year, which is really when you need 1-2 suits.

If you really want to get them, just get 2 for the price of 1/2, one dark navy, one dark charcoal. If you want stripes, get them on the navy suit, but make sure it still looks conservative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Outside tailors are generally better and faster (in-house at a place like JAB they usually send it out to an outside tailor (who note never actually sees you in the suit) and it takes a few weeks to get done). But it's hard too generalize too much because there are a lot of shitty outside tailors and a lot of great in-store tailors (many of which have their own businesses as well). I would ask some friends if they have any recommendations. I've used department store in-house tailors before and it's worked out fine. Definitely better than nothing.

Also, it is very likely the salesman will tell you that the suit looks good and it doesn't need any tailoring. DON'T LISTEN. Suit salesman tell that to everyone because 90% of the suit buying population is lazy and won't buy anything that needs alterations. Actually, don't listen to the salesman in general. There's a strong chance that reading this thread will give you more knowledge about suits than whoever works at JAB. If you think something looks bad and they tell you it looks good, trust your gut.

Plan to spend around $75-$100 per suit for tailoring. It may very well be less (if you all you need is sleeve shortening and pant hemming), but you should spend the extra money if you need more significant alterations.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm

NeedSuits wrote: 1) Color choice. If I get four suits, I'd get navy, gray/charcoal, black and...what should the 4th be? Is this a good selection of colors?
Do not get a black suit. Totally worthless for everything except funerals, and a dark charcoal or navy is perfectly acceptable there.

Get at least one navy and one dark charcoal. Then, probably a lighter grey/charcoal. Then, either a different shade of navy or a very subtle pinstripe. Even three grey/charcoal suits would be fine.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 pm

NeedSuits wrote:Any warnings about JAB? Seems too good to be true, esp. for a 0L looking to save money!
That is the best sale JAB does on suits. Like others have said, don't go lower than Signature line.
Borhas wrote:the the signature suite was awesome (as far as color, pattern, design, texture) but it was a little bit too broad for me and I returned cause I didn't want to spend a lot on alterations.
Hmm. I've always thought the Executive line jackets seemed a lot broader than the Signature line. Maybe it's just how they fit on me.
NeedSuits wrote:God, this thread is a beast!

Some questions as I peruse the thread. Note, I currently have 0 suits as I'm getting ready of the old, ill-fitting, crappy ones I currently have:

1) Color choice. If I get four suits, I'd get navy, gray/charcoal, black and...what should the 4th be? Is this a good selection of colors?

2) I'm short (frickin' 5'7). Is slim fit okay so as not to make me look so stout?

3) Any general advice for a 0L looking to fill the suit wardrobe?

Also, are the Traveler Tailored Fit Suits from JAB not recommended?

I may go to the store to look and then order online. I get 6 bonus points for every dollar spent through my credit card (BOA World Points, if anyone is wondering). That's a lot of points to be had!
The newest version of my suit megapost is here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&start=52

It should probably answer all questions. If not:

1) As jkay basically said, four suits = navy, charcoal, medium gray, and a basic navy or charcoal pinstripe. As an alternative to the pinstripe, grab a second navy or charcoal solid to put in the closet for interview and important occasion use only.

2) If you're in any danger of looking stout, you probably shouldn't go slim fit.

3) Don't spend too much, and never pay list for anything. You can look sufficiently good without dropping huge piles of money. You'll need the leftover cash for booze.

Traveler suits aren't very good (roughly comparable to the Executive line). The tailored fit suit line boasts its stretch and stain resistance, leading me to believe that they're fucking with the wool somehow.

JAB Traveler shirts are great, but that's all you should be looking at from the Traveler line.

-Pufer

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 am

I actually have a traveler suit from JAB and like it quite a bit. Don't know a ton about suit fabric but it seems fine to me. I will say this: you have to be shaped the right way for them to look good on you. I work out quite a bit so I am broader with a narrower waist. The cut fit me pretty well, may not be the case for everyone. I will say the two JAB suits I have are to get me through law school and a couple years of my career then I will hopefully have some money to get something a little better. For my purpose I think the traveler suits have been fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 am

tag

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Just nabbed a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues on eBay for $25 (shipping included).

I feel dirty.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm

GeePee wrote:Just nabbed a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues on eBay for $25 (shipping included).

I feel dirty.
how the f___ did you manage that, and can I do the same?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:31 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
GeePee wrote:Just nabbed a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues on eBay for $25 (shipping included).

I feel dirty.
Fairly well used I assume. Not my cup of tea, but a good steal in almost any condition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Bronte wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

I feel dirty.
Fairly well used I assume. Not my cup of tea, but a good steal in almost any condition.
Actually, they're in great shape :D

--ImageRemoved--

Narrow size 14 feet came through in the clutch this time. Years of struggle to find adequate footwear, culminating in glory. Hopefully the seller values his feedback.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm an 0L, but I want to get all this stuff ready before I start law school lol.

I currently have a Boss charcoal three button suit and a Burberry navy blue pinstripe two button suit. From what I can tell the former is acceptable for OCI interviews while the latter is not (but the latter would be acceptable once I got a job)?

My first suit was also a crappy black one from JC Penney (~$100). My guess is that I should just get rid of this one before law school?

I also have several dress shirts. Should I begin replacing the lower quality ones with higher quality stuff (e.g. stuff from Brooks Brothers/Nordstrom)?

*Edited for corrections
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I'm an 0L, but I want to get all this stuff ready before I start law school lol.

I currently have a Boss charcoal three piece suit and a Burberry navy blue pinstripe suit. From what I can tell the former is acceptable for OCI interviews while the latter is not (but the latter would be acceptable once I got a job)?

My first suit was also a crappy black one from JC Penney (~$100). My guess is that I should just get rid of this one before law school?

I also have several dress shirts. Should I begin replacing the lower quality ones with higher quality stuff (e.g. stuff from Brooks Brothers/Nordstrom)?
Do not wear a three piece suit for OCI. Pinstripes are fine for work but not for interviews.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I'm an 0L, but I want to get all this stuff ready before I start law school lol.

I currently have a Boss charcoal three piece suit and a Burberry navy blue pinstripe suit. From what I can tell the former is acceptable for OCI interviews while the latter is not (but the latter would be acceptable once I got a job)?

Do not wear a three piece suit for OCI. Pinstripes are fine for work but not for interviews.
Sorry, I meant three BUTTON (charcoal one) and two BUTTON lol. Not sure why I wrote piece.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:02 pm

You could get away with either suit. However, the consensus is generally against three-button suits (in any context) and pinstripe suits (in interviews). If you have the money, at least get a two-button navy suit. You'll want two OCI suits anyway.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Bronte wrote:You could get away with either suit. However, the consensus is generally against three-button suits (in any context) and pinstripe suits (in interviews). If you have the money, at least get a two-button navy suit. You'll want two OCI suits anyway.
Okay. I'll look to pick up a two-button navy suit in the next year or so.

Really? A three-button is a no go in any context? I don't want to feel like I blew a few hundred dollars on something.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Three buttons is just way too much.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bronte wrote:You could get away with either suit. However, the consensus is generally against three-button suits (in any context) and pinstripe suits (in interviews). If you have the money, at least get a two-button navy suit. You'll want two OCI suits anyway.

Really? A three-button is a no go in any context? I don't want to feel like I blew a few hundred dollars on something.
The first suit I bought was a three-button pinstripe suit, so don't feel too bad. People wear them and obviously some people think they're good. I strongly dislike them now that I know a little bit about suiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Bronte wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

The first suit I bought was a three-button pinstripe suit, so don't feel too bad. People wear them and obviously some people think they're good. I strongly dislike them now that I know a little bit about suiting.
Hmmm, okay. So would you say a three-button charcoal would still be acceptable for wearing around the office after being hired?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Hmmm, okay. So would you say a three-button charcoal would still be acceptable for wearing around the office after being hired?
I think it would be. I'll probably never wear mine again, but it has every problem imaginable. It's also ventless and got moth-bitten in my closet. Rookie mistakes.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Bronte wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Hmmm, okay. So would you say a three-button charcoal would still be acceptable for wearing around the office after being hired?
I think it would be. I'll probably never wear mine again, but it has every problem imaginable. It's also ventless and got moth-bitten in my closet. Rookie mistakes.
Ahhh, just checked and it looks like mine is ventless as well.

So it seems like a definite no go with this one for interviews.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Ahhh, just checked and it looks like mine is ventless as well.

So it seems like a definite no go with this one for interviews.
Honestly, people are not as intense about attire IRL as they are on TLS. I think it would be fine for an interview, but I would consider trying to get two two-buttons on the cheap, like maybe at a Brooks Bros. Outlet, where I think the deal is often something like two for $300.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”