OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pufer

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by Pufer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 am

Thirteen wrote:
GeePee wrote:
adameus wrote:BBs semi annual sale is on now. Are these generally the best deals they give all year?
They're actually better in-store than online, which is not the norm -- but yes, this is the time to cash in.
I need to get a few ties. Thanks for the heads up.
BB ties have finally become rather decent in quality in the last half decade, but they're still not generally worth what they charge for them (ties have always been BB's weak point) - definite case of paying for the label. Combined with the jumps in quality that cheaper tie brands have experienced in the last few years, if you're just looking for everyday ties, you'd be better off stocking up on $15 Nautica (or similar) ties from TJ Maxx than loading up at BB. Better yet, hit Nordstrom Rack for stuff that's better than BB at half the price.

-Pufer

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:49 am

I have found Izod ties to be great, and very inexpensive. But they are well-made, and they look nice when you tie them, which is the problem with most cheaper ties...the material is too thin and cheap to look proper when tied.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

Pufer wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
GeePee wrote:
adameus wrote:BBs semi annual sale is on now. Are these generally the best deals they give all year?
They're actually better in-store than online, which is not the norm -- but yes, this is the time to cash in.
I need to get a few ties. Thanks for the heads up.
BB ties have finally become rather decent in quality in the last half decade, but they're still not generally worth what they charge for them (ties have always been BB's weak point) - definite case of paying for the label. Combined with the jumps in quality that cheaper tie brands have experienced in the last few years, if you're just looking for everyday ties, you'd be better off stocking up on $15 Nautica (or similar) ties from TJ Maxx than loading up at BB. Better yet, hit Nordstrom Rack for stuff that's better than BB at half the price.

-Pufer
Good call. My favorite ties from Nordstrom were Ike Behar, but I haven't seen any in a few years. Guess I'll finally have to step it up to Robert Talbott.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am

kalvano wrote:I have found Izod ties to be great, and very inexpensive. But they are well-made, and they look nice when you tie them, which is the problem with most cheaper ties...the material is too thin and cheap to look proper when tied.
I'll also check these out.

fixxion

New

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by fixxion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Glad I read this. The accepted or expected norm in the world of law is definitely different from the world of architecture. Square toed shined leather shoes, 2 button black suits, and a black skinny tie are a staple of the young architecture grad in LA or NY.

Thanks for the update

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

fixxion wrote:Glad I read this. The accepted or expected norm in the world of law is definitely different from the world of architecture. Square toed shined leather shoes, 2 button black suits, and a black skinny tie are a staple of the young architecture grad in LA or NY.

Thanks for the update
lol @ architects dressing that way and/or making any money on graduation.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

fixxion wrote:Glad I read this. The accepted or expected norm in the world of law is definitely different from the world of architecture. Square toed shined leather shoes, 2 button black suits, and a black skinny tie are a staple of the young architecture grad in LA or NY.

Thanks for the update
lol at square toed shoes with anything other than jeans

fixxion

New

Post by fixxion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

geoduck wrote:

Thanks for the update
no pay thus law school. I was offered 2 internships this summer to count towards my 3 years total internship years needed to sit in for my architecture exams. One was an unpayed with hours from 8am-7pm, the other was a 200$ a week stipend with hours 7am-6pm monday-saturday. I am top 3 in my class from a high ranked architectural design school.... Gotta love the pay! It's either law school or moving to China for me!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 pm

fixxion wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Thanks for the update
no pay thus law school. I was offered 2 internships this summer to count towards my 3 years total internship years needed to sit in for my architecture exams. One was an unpayed with hours from 8am-7pm, the other was a 200$ a week stipend with hours 7am-6pm monday-saturday. I am top 3 in my class from a high ranked architectural design school.... Gotta love the pay! It's either law school or moving to China for me!
Yeah my wife is just finishing up her IDP credits... after about 3.5 years. It's "3 years" if you can get all the experiences required in 3 years, which has been a little tough ITE. It makes law look healthy.

You could always just start going around suing for ADA violations. I hear that there's big money in that in California...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fixxion

New

Post by fixxion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Congrats to your wife, and I wish her luck on her exams! I'm looking to get into international construction law, but there is definitely a market in CA and everywhere else in the US for that matter in suing for ada violations.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Pufer wrote:
Modern, quality ties are thick enough that they will produce a sufficiently substantial knot using either the Four-in-Hand or Half-Windsor knot. Full-Windsor knots are generally too wide and pompous looking for the collar styles recommended for an interview.

As to the Four-in-Hand vs. Half-Windsor debate, it is purely a matter of personal preference. Whichever you choose, make sure that you practice enough that you can pull off a flawless knot and a perfect dimple every time. The end of your tie should hit somewhere in the center of your belt.
Would a Full-Windsor be acceptable for someone with a larger neckline? I have ~20 inch neckline and Half-Windsors just look tiny and not very becoming on me.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 pm

PirateCap'n wrote: I have ~20 inch neckline
:shock:

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:26 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Pufer wrote:
Modern, quality ties are thick enough that they will produce a sufficiently substantial knot using either the Four-in-Hand or Half-Windsor knot. Full-Windsor knots are generally too wide and pompous looking for the collar styles recommended for an interview.

As to the Four-in-Hand vs. Half-Windsor debate, it is purely a matter of personal preference. Whichever you choose, make sure that you practice enough that you can pull off a flawless knot and a perfect dimple every time. The end of your tie should hit somewhere in the center of your belt.
Would a Full-Windsor be acceptable for someone with a larger neckline? I have ~20 inch neckline and Half-Windsors just look tiny and not very becoming on me.
Depends more on how your face looks, but I really have no idea what to say to a 20-inch neckline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Would a Full-Windsor be acceptable for someone with a larger neckline? I have ~20 inch neckline and Half-Windsors just look tiny and not very becoming on me.
I wear a full-Windsor with a 15 inch neckline, so I bet you can get away with it.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Just a heads-up: Brooks Brothers is having a great sale right now on dress shirts (buy 4 and get 40% off).

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm

James Bond wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
Pufer wrote:

Depends more on how your face looks, but I really have no idea what to say to a 20-inch neckline.
Helmholtz wrote: :shock:
I'll go ahead and guess that 20" necklines aren't all that common? Ha.

I never really thought it was that unusual. Ex-football player though, so I guess that explains it. Just makes it really hard to find a 20/36-37 that's actually worth buying.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:I'll go ahead and guess that 20" necklines aren't all that common? Ha.

I never really thought it was that unusual. Ex-football player though, so I guess that explains it. Just makes it really hard to find a 20/36-37 that's actually worth buying.
I wonder if that would make you ultracompetitive in jiu jitsu. Neck so large no one can get their hands around it to choke you out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm

dailygrind wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:I'll go ahead and guess that 20" necklines aren't all that common? Ha.

I wonder if that would make you ultracompetitive in jiu jitsu. Neck so large no one can get their hands around it to choke you out.
It'd probably be great until some 110 pound and/or twelve year old jiu jitsu master broke both my arms and legs and knocked out all my teeth. :wink:

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 pm

On the topic of Jos. A Bank: They've got Signature for 250/Signature Gold for 350 today and tomorrow. If I have until August to wait to buy a suit, am I likely going to be able to beat this pricing, or at least match it between now and then? Just curious how much they run this 250/350 pricing.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

how far down is the tie supposed to reach? down to the belt buckle? slightly below? above?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Borhas wrote:how far down is the tie supposed to reach? down to the belt buckle? slightly below? above?
Down to the top of the belt buckle but not touching

Also, big Charles Tyrwhitt sale right now

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 pm

LeDique wrote:On the topic of Jos. A Bank: They've got Signature for 250/Signature Gold for 350 today and tomorrow. If I have until August to wait to buy a suit, am I likely going to be able to beat this pricing, or at least match it between now and then? Just curious how much they run this 250/350 pricing.
Honestly you should check a department store. I got a great $300 suit from Macy's for something like 35% off just a couple weeks ago. I've always thought Bank was overpriced for what you get. It's really the same quality as you can find in a department store but generally more expensive.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Borhas wrote:how far down is the tie supposed to reach? down to the belt buckle? slightly below? above?

The tip of the tie should be just at the belt buckle. Some say it's OK for the tip of the tie to fall at about the belly button, but that looks weird to me.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey all,

I don't know how good Perry Ellis is, but slickdeals.net has a promo code PEMP40 that will take 40% off anything on their site, including things on sale, and if you buy 50 dollars worth of stuff you can get another $10 off your purchase with the additional promo code PERRY10. Just thought I'd share.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:19 pm

kalvano wrote:

The tip of the tie should be just at the belt buckle. Some say it's OK for the tip of the tie to fall at about the belly button, but that looks weird to me.
Little too Merril Hoge for me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”