OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:Wearing the same four suits?

I have 6 or 7 I regularly wear and that's barely adequate for someone wearing them five days a week. I probably have about 20 good shirts and 30 ties, so that's not the problem. Its also a pain with regard to dry cleaning.
Good for you, I wish I had a ton of suits. But I (and most people ITT) just don't have the money.

In any case, I think 3-4 suits is adequate, even for a job where you wear one daily. With a good mixture of shirts and ties, I doubt anyone would ever notice.
Ya, I think my father has 4 hugo boss suits he's worn everyday but casual fridays for the last 4-5 years.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I have 6 or 7 I regularly wear and that's barely adequate for someone wearing them five days a week. I probably have about 20 good shirts and 30 ties, so that's not the problem. Its also a pain with regard to dry cleaning.
Good for you, I wish I had a ton of suits. But I (and most people ITT) just don't have the money.

In any case, I think 3-4 suits is adequate, even for a job where you wear one daily. With a good mixture of shirts and ties, I doubt anyone would ever notice.
I second this. GS, we all know you live in an alternate universe. Suggesting 6-7 suits is barely enough is absurd.

Also, spending money on suits makes sense. You're not just blowing money on fashion, like if you bought any other piece of casual clothing, you're really making an investment. It can be a smart decision to spend more under the right circumstances.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 pm

When you have a career and steady job 6 to 7 is a solid number, but more would not be absurd. Of course undergrad or law school students won't have that many. No one expects you too. Thats why everyone says get a charcoal and navy suit and you are set. Two suits that can get your through law school and early career. If you buy nice suits that last, you will have a hell of a lot more than a handful after a few years.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Just thought I would drop in and mention that Saks Off Fifth is having a 40% off sale on their suits. You can pick up some nice ones for $150, $200.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

StillHerexxx wrote:When you have a career and steady job 6 to 7 is a solid number, but more would not be absurd. Of course undergrad or law school students won't have that many. No one expects you too. Thats why everyone says get a charcoal and navy suit and you are set. Two suits that can get your through law school and early career. If you buy nice suits that last, you will have a hell of a lot more than a handful after a few years.
It really comes down to how you're dressing yourself. If you're in law school, you can get away with having two wardrobe categories: suit and not-suit. If you want to be a little more nuanced, you can double the categories: interview suit (always impeccable, never leaves the closet except for an interview), regular suit (networking events, court for clinic, etc.), business casual, and everyday. Some people have seven suits specific to various law school related occasions, four levels of business casual, and five or six different varieties of everyday wear.

These three categories describe three broad categories of people: those who need to wear clothes to leave their homes (they have a suit for suit-days, and they have a bunch of other shit they wear interchangeably); those who understand that in certain situations, you're expected to generally comply with a particular dress code (this is most people); and those who have a particular wardrobe for virtually any situation they may find themselves in (or will go buy one if a new situation arises), have dress black cap-toed oxfords in three levels of formality (not to mention their 30 other pairs of shoes), and get really enthused about how outrageous their socks are (which I am totally with GS on).

If you're wearing a suit every day for work, and have been at it for long enough to optimize your wardrobe, folks in the first category will have like three identical suits (either from JC Penney if the person is cheap, or from some big-name label if they're not), seven dress shirts (blue or white), and maybe ten ties (two of which have golf bags or cartoon characters on it, and seven of which they got from their dad/wife/favorite thrift store). In the second category, you will probably have accumulated 6-10 good quality suits (but prefer to wear only maybe 2/3 of them), at least fifteen ties, a dozen or so dress shirts of various colors and textures, and three good pairs of everyday dress shoes. In the third category, you have a closet literally full of MTM (or better) suits, a few hundred ties (most of which you would never wear because they're a couple years out of style), custom-measured shirts for any occasion, three-day rotations of both black and brown shoes (with a dozen situational dress shoes for various occasions), and a couple different types of tuxedo (just in case).

All three groups manage to maintain employment, make money, get laid, and live happy and fulfilling lives. The only real difference is that folks in the third category (in which I am assuredly located, and where I'd suspect GS exists as well) aren't really sure how the folks in the other two groups manage to survive.

-Pufer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

I hope I can be in that third group someday. I love dressing up and I have more ties, suits, and dress shirts than most of my friends. I just can't afford to spend that kind of money at this stage in my life. But let's certainly hope it happens someday in the future.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I second this. GS, we all know you live in an alternate universe. Suggesting 6-7 suits is barely enough is absurd.

Also, spending money on suits makes sense. You're not just blowing money on fashion, like if you bought any other piece of casual clothing, you're really making an investment. It can be a smart decision to spend more under the right circumstances.
For a law student, 3 or 4 is fine. Once you're a practicing attorney wearing a suit 5 days a week, it's 3 or 4 isn't gonna cut it.

For the price of 4 Huge Boss suits, you can easily purchase 7 or 8 great suits. That was my point in response to that post.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 am

GodSpeed wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

For a law student, 3 or 4 is fine. Once you're a practicing attorney wearing a suit 5 days a week, it's 3 or 4 isn't gonna cut it.

For the price of 4 Huge Boss suits, you can easily purchase 7 or 8 great suits. That was my point in response to that post.
Hmmm you're right, I ignored the context, my bad mang.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 pm

kalvano wrote:Just thought I would drop in and mention that Saks Off Fifth is having a 40% off sale on their suits. You can pick up some nice ones for $150, $200.
I wish they have the buy one get one free or buy one get one 50% off mid to late May. (this is of course assuming I'll have something lined up for the summer that requires suits).

Definitely racked up some credit card reward points. That type of a sale + $500 dollar saks gift card = ballin bargain shopping

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 pm

40% off is better than buy one get one 50% off.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 pm

bartleby wrote:40% off is better than buy one get one 50% off.
You are right. I failed there. LoL

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Depending on my tax refund (if any), I might be taking a trip to the Brooks Brothers outlet next time they have one of their sales and looking at the Fitzgerald and Milano cuts. Any advice or nay-saying on those two suits?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:Depending on my tax refund (if any), I might be taking a trip to the Brooks Brothers outlet next time they have one of their sales and looking at the Fitzgerald and Milano cuts. Any advice or nay-saying on those two suits?
They don't sell 1818 suits in their outlet. The make their own line of BrookEase 346 suits for the outlets. They are decent but not canvased.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

blowhard wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:Depending on my tax refund (if any), I might be taking a trip to the Brooks Brothers outlet next time they have one of their sales and looking at the Fitzgerald and Milano cuts. Any advice or nay-saying on those two suits?
They don't sell 1818 suits in their outlet. The make their own line of BrookEase 346 suits for the outlets. They are decent but not canvased.
Well that sucks. Maybe i'll just cave and go for the 1818 suits at the regular store. At any rate, any commentary on the Fitzgerald or Milano?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 am

blowhard wrote:
what about the saks off fifth outlet?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 am

HenryKillinger wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Well that sucks. Maybe i'll just cave and go for the 1818 suits at the regular store. At any rate, any commentary on the Fitzgerald or Milano?
Brooks Brothers has 25% off everything twice or three times a year. Might be worth waiting for because some of their suits are super expensive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

good catch. they're also doing 70% off at their factory stores for presidents day weekend.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
good catch. they're also doing 70% off at their factory stores for presidents day weekend.
Well, I know where I'll be this weekend.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

beach_terror wrote:
fatduck wrote:
i dropped about $500 last time :D i still haven't burned my 15% brooks brothers credit card discount, i might use it on this 60% off sale and get a suit or two.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

fatduck wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
fatduck wrote:
i dropped about $500 last time :D i still haven't burned my 15% brooks brothers credit card discount, i might use it on this 60% off sale and get a suit or two.
Jos. A. Bank is also having a 70% off sale this weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 pm

king3780 wrote: Jos. A. Bank is also having a 70% off sale this weekend.
I got my interview suit from them for like 300$ when it was originally in the ball park of 1200$. I received a bunch of compliments on it as well. While people will speak ill of their lower end stuff, I'm extremely happy with my suit.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_102480 in Charcoal grey, I think.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:
fatduck wrote:

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
I got my interview suit from them for like 300$ when it was originally in the ball park of 1200$. I received a bunch of compliments on it as well. While people will speak ill of their lower end stuff, I'm extremely happy with my suit.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_102480 in Charcoal grey, I think.
Don't be mislead by the discrepancy between the huge number with the bright red X through it and what you actually pay for it. That suit never actually sells for that price. It's always at some huge discount. Just like Charles Tyrwhitt. Their stuff is NEVER "full" price (that being said, most of my dress shirts are from there and I'm very happy with them).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Don't be mislead by the discrepancy between the huge number with the bright red X through it and what you actually pay for it. That suit never actually sells for that price. It's always at some huge discount. Just like Charles Tyrwhitt. Their stuff is NEVER "full" price (that being said, most of my dress shirts are from there and I'm very happy with them).
Yeah, Jos. A Banks has actually been sued for deceptive trade practices over their perpetual "sales"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”