OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 am

Bought a used suit without realizing it was a 3-button. Any special rules for when it's appropriate to wear these? It's a brooks brothers navy pinstripe...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 am

I'm going to be interning with a judge this summer, and he says I don't have to wear a suit every day, but I would be expected to be in the courtroom a fair amount. My initial impression is that if I am going to be in a courtroom I need to be in a suit no matter what, which leads me to think that most of the time I'll be in a dress shirt and pants, and if I am going to be in the courtroom I will need to be able to throw on a tie and jacket. Probably will be working 3-4 days a week.

I'm in the process of buying clothes for the summer, but I'm trying to think beyond summer as well (don't want to have to buy new stuff all over again). I own 1 suit (charcoal with very feint, thin pinstripes), 1 white shirt that fits well (CK slim fit stretch), and a couple cheap ties. Obviously I'm going to have to get a few more shirts (I'm thinking another white one, a light blue one, and a plaid one). So far my strategy has been to stay cheaper on the shirts and spend a bit more on ties. Tough finding shirts that fit me, though, because I'm so skinny.

My problem is what to do with pants. I hate to spend $50-100 on pants when I'm eventually going to have to buy another suit. I'd rather just buy another suit so that way I save some money. Any suggestions? There is a sale going on right now where I can pick up a suit pretty cheap, like a navy CK, originally $600, for under $250.
Last edited by traehekat on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 am

My venture to a Brooks Brothers Outlet taught me the following things:

1) Most of the shirts carried in the outlet stores are regular-cut only. Regular-cut is too fucking baggy. Slim-cut fits much better.

2) The outlet stores only carry one line of slim-cut shirts.

3) The outlet line of slim-cut shirts come in 2-inch sleeve intervals. There's a 34/35, and then a 36/37. The first is too short and the second is a little long, and there's nothing in between.

4) Trying on the lines of shirts that do come in 1-inch intervals, the 36 length is perfect. However, as I mentioned, the outlet shirts only carry that line in regular-cut.

FML. Time to go pay for even more expensive shirts...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:My venture to a Brooks Brothers Outlet taught me the following things:

1) Most of the shirts carried in the outlet stores are regular-cut only. Regular-cut is too fucking baggy. Slim-cut fits much better.

3) The outlet line of slim-cut shirts come in 2-inch sleeve intervals. There's a 34/35, and then a 36/37. The first is too short and the second is a little long, and there's nothing in between.

4) Trying on the lines of shirts that do come in 1-inch intervals, the 36 length is perfect. However, as I mentioned, the outlet shirts only carry that line in regular-cut.

sad but true. their amazing sales are great for stocking up on sweaters, though.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:37 am

vanwinkle wrote:My venture to a Brooks Brothers Outlet taught me the following things:

Haha, I just spent the last couple days at a Brooks Brothers outlet. The slim fits they had there were all either button down collars, French cuff, or just not my style. They had some standard white and blue shirts with some material in them that stretched kinda like the CK Body shirts, but they still didn't fit well.

I ended up just grabbing 3 ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 am

betasteve wrote:Buy custom made shirts. You can actually find the, decently priced, and there is absolutely nothing that makes a bigger improvement in your look.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 am

GodSpeed wrote:
betasteve wrote:Buy custom made shirts. You can actually find the, decently priced, and there is absolutely nothing that makes a bigger improvement in your look.
I know i've asked you this like twice before, but what was the name of that website for custom tailored shirts you recommended?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 am

Yeah, their selection sucks. Though my tailor will fix the shirts for $10 each. So still way less than custom-made if I get them on sale.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 am

traehekat wrote:

Haha, I just spent the last couple days at a Brooks Brothers outlet. The slim fits they had there were all either button down collars, French cuff, or just not my style. They had some standard white and blue shirts with some material in them that stretched kinda like the CK Body shirts, but they still didn't fit well.

I ended up just grabbing 3 ties.
Last edited by Unitas on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
I know i've asked you this like twice before, but what was the name of that website for custom tailored shirts you recommended?
Get the $20 one at moderntailor.com first. I hate their material but if you've never ordered mtm and you don't have a mtm suit to measure, its a safe start.

I like tailor4less.com the best so far. Its not nearly as good as my local tailor, but its pretty good. I can't afford a whole wardrobe from my local guy so I do abougt half from t4l. Still beats off the rack.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 am

Beta, for a business setting (and this thread) I agree with you 100% on that. In a casual setting, you can pull it off if your look is preppy enough. Think Ralph Lauren.

Business setting though...that look screams back office. *shudder*

libertarian

Bronze

Post by libertarian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:59 am

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 pm

why is Drake doing the duck-face?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 pm

That second picture is so much better than the first it's not even close :|

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Two questions:

I tried on a black 'Modern Suit' jacket at Banana republic today and the jacket fit really nicely. I couldn't tell if it was canvased though. Does anyone happen to know?

I also spotted this place while walking home:
--LinkRemoved--
anyone have ay experience with them? thoughts?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:Two questions:

I tried on a black 'Modern Suit' jacket at Banana republic today and the jacket fit really nicely. I couldn't tell if it was canvased though. Does anyone happen to know?
all the banana republic suits i've seen have been fused

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/12/th ... sed-suits/

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 am

fatduck wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:Two questions:

all the banana republic suits i've seen have been fused

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/12/th ... sed-suits/
damn. That thing fit like a dream.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 am

James Bond wrote:That second picture is so much better than the first it's not even close :|
This.

Skinny ties are hideous. Granted, I am a lot more conservative in my fashion tastes than most, but I've never seen them look good on anyone.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:
James Bond wrote:That second picture is so much better than the first it's not even close :|
This.

Skinny ties are hideous. Granted, I am a lot more conservative in my fashion tastes than most, but I've never seen them look good on anyone.
Classic example of looks good in GQ, useless in real life

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Slim ties (2.5-3) look fine on somebody with a thin frame who is wearing a suit with appropriate lapels. If you're talking about the 1-2 inch ties, they look fine on 80s synthpop bands, and nowhere else.

libertarian

Bronze

Post by libertarian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:51 pm

libertarian wrote:I think there's a difference between a slim tie and a skinny tie

Slim is modern and cool, but still appropriate for the real world (considering your lapels are a corresponding width, etc). Skinny definitely can't be worn at the office - or anywhere else because it look stupid on everyone but musicians and movie stars.
No, it still looks stupid on them but they can get away with it because they are famous.

I agree that slim ties can be pulled off if it fits the frame right. It doesn't fit my frame so I dont wear them. It's like a big tie on a really skinny, looks funny.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:03 pm

libertarian wrote:I think there's a difference between a slim tie and a skinny tie

[ties img]

Slim is modern and cool, but still appropriate for the real world (considering your lapels are a corresponding width, etc). Skinny definitely can't be worn at the office - or anywhere else because it look stupid on everyone but musicians and movie stars.
Ties 1, 2 and 4 look to be the same width to me. That said, they all look too fashion-forward for everyday use in corporate America.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Nordstrom Rack is fucking awesome.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm going to be interning with a judge this summer, and he says I don't have to wear a suit every day, but I would be expected to be in the courtroom a fair amount. My initial impression is that if I am going to be in a courtroom I need to be in a suit no matter what, which leads me to think that most of the time I'll be in a dress shirt and pants, and if I am going to be in the courtroom I will need to be able to throw on a tie and jacket. Probably will be working 3-4 days a week.

I'm in the process of buying clothes for the summer, but I'm trying to think beyond summer as well (don't want to have to buy new stuff all over again). I own 1 suit (charcoal with very feint, thin pinstripes), 1 white shirt that fits well (CK slim fit stretch), and a couple cheap ties. Obviously I'm going to have to get a few more shirts (I'm thinking another white one, a light blue one, and a plaid one). So far my strategy has been to stay cheaper on the shirts and spend a bit more on ties. Tough finding shirts that fit me, though, because I'm so skinny.

My problem is what to do with pants. I hate to spend $50-100 on pants when I'm eventually going to have to buy another suit. I'd rather just buy another suit so that way I save some money. Any suggestions? There is a sale going on right now where I can pick up a suit pretty cheap, like a navy CK, originally $600, for under $250.
I'm facing the same dilemma... I think I could get away without a suit every day this summer, but I hate to buy just pants now and suits in a year. FWIW, I decided just to get the suits now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”