OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by kaiser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:30 pm

JG7773 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1.) Are black dress shoes ok with a navy suit?

2.) No cologne?

3.) Jacket on/off during interview.
3B.) If off -> recommended deoderant to guard against pit sweat?
1) Black shoes are ok, but I think you'd be better served with a pair in a cordovan / dark brown / auburn area.

2) I would say no cologne. The odds of offending are greater with it on, plus you never know who is sensitive to what smells. Better to play it safe and skip it.

3) Jacket on. No question. You aren't coming in to get comfortable and stay for dinner and drinks. If you are out to lunch on a CB, then maybe off, but follow the crowd. If you are in an interview setting, jacket on.
Agree on 1 and 3, but completely disagree on 2. Of course you can wear a bit of cologne to OCI. Don't overdo it, but thats less than a non-issue.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:34 pm

kaiser wrote: disagree on 2.

I agree that light cologne isn't bad if lightly worn, but it's much safer to just wear deodorant. Cologne can only hurt and can't help.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:37 pm

If you take your jacket off, you will be an auto-ding. Is that even a real quetion? Why not go ahead and undo your pants and take your shoes off too, while you're at it?

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
kaiser wrote: disagree on 2.

I agree that light cologne isn't bad if lightly worn, but it's much safer to just wear deodorant. Cologne can only hurt and can't help.
This is more in the line of thought that I had. There is a distinct difference between "OCI lightly worn" and "club lightly worn." It is too easy to over do it.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you take your jacket off, you will be an auto-ding. Is that even a real quetion? Why not go ahead and undo your pants and take your shoes off too, while you're at it?
you can also unbutton your top button and loosen your tie nbd.

Sorry thought we were talking about quinnterviews

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I'll just go with standard black cap toes.

And any tips on smoking that day? I don't want to smell, but am not very likable without nicotine in my brain.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Snus?

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you take your jacket off, you will be an auto-ding. Is that even a real quetion? Why not go ahead and undo your pants and take your shoes off too, while you're at it?

I hope it goes without saying but please unbutton the jacket all the way once you sit down. I always pity laugh when I see someone sitting down with a buttoned up suit jacket.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll just go with standard black cap toes.

And any tips on smoking that day? I don't want to smell, but am not very likable without nicotine in my brain.
Smoking sounds like a bad idea. Use a patch/snus/something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:

I hope it goes without saying but please unbutton the jacket all the way once you sit down. I always pity laugh when I see someone sitting down with a buttoned up suit jacket.
:lol:

aep11

New

Post by aep11 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 pm

I have a call back on Friday and was planning on wearing my navy suit

I had never thought about it before but the buttons have a white trim around them, so black buttons with a white circular trim around the outside

Do you guys think these buttons are a no go? My other suit options are two crappy fitting JAB i picked up for work this summer and a well fitting darker grey suit that is somewhat shiny material and not all that dark

Am I over thinking the white trim on the buttons? Is there a way to replace all the buttons on the suit?

Aureusmons

New

Post by Aureusmons » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Any suggestions on wristwatch styles?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:28 pm

aep11 wrote:I have a call back on Friday and was planning on wearing my navy suit

I had never thought about it before but the buttons have a white trim around them, so black buttons with a white circular trim around the outside

Do you guys think these buttons are a no go? My other suit options are two crappy fitting JAB i picked up for work this summer and a well fitting darker grey suit that is somewhat shiny material and not all that dark

Am I over thinking the white trim on the buttons? Is there a way to replace all the buttons on the suit?
buttons can all be replaced, yes. it's a common enough procedure that selling blazer button sets is a thing. as far as whether to wear this suit or another on friday, you're probably fine in the navy. you've worn the suit x number of times without noticing the button trim, my guess is your interviewers won't notice them the first time they see the suit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll just go with standard black cap toes.

Get an e-cig bro. Seriously though, it's doing wonders for helping me stop chewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 am

I have 1 really nice perfectly tailored suit I just bought - was about $850 with everything. Other than that I have the Jos A Bank poorly fitted crap, and it does not compare. I plan on wearing one suit. I will have about 25-30 interviews spread across 2 weeks, and I don't want to spend another $850 plus I'm likely already too late.

I'll avoid sweat, have many dress shirts, etc. My q is, is 1 suit okay and will the OCI interviewer be the same as the callback interviewer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

I'm looking for advice on suits for OCI. Here are my criteria:

*I want to spend as little as possible while still looking good (i.e. I don't care if it lasts more than a year).

*I want the suit to be charcoal or at the very least good looking with black shoes.

*I am tall, thin and have a thin chest. This is my main issue... everything I try on off the rack looks stupid because I'm too skinny. I'm concerned that pulling a suit in at the chest more than a tiny bit will not produce a great looking outfit...thoughts?

Thanks!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:58 am

Price range? If you care more about price than quality, then I'd have to say just grab a Joseph A. Bank tailored or slim fit suit. Get it tailored by a real tailor (i.e., not a JAB tailor in the store) and you will be fine. I copped my JAB tailored fit suit for $157 and it actually looks good on me since I got it tailored further.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm

here are very limited options between 200 and 800 that are consistently reliable and worth it. Personally, 1 great suit seems better than 4-5 mediocre ones unless you wear one every day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Price range? If you care more about price than quality, then I'd have to say just grab a Joseph A. Bank tailored or slim fit suit. Get it tailored by a real tailor (i.e., not a JAB tailor in the store) and you will be fine. I copped my JAB tailored fit suit for $157 and it actually looks good on me since I got it tailored further.
I would be happy to get away spending about 400 with tailoring.

Anonymous User wrote:Jos A Bank consistently looks terrible to me, but it may be because I have a weird build of being very broad shouldered and big chested but very skinny.

There are very limited options between 200 and 800 that are consistently reliable and worth it. Personally, 1 great suit seems better than 4-5 mediocre ones unless you wear one every day.
"Better" Is highly dependent on resources. I think it would be better for me to buy something very cheap now--and then buy something better when I can afford better later... I'm the sort of person who ruin's my nice things...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm

How about $470 for a suit that gets rave reviews? Navy or charcoal available.

Although BR is having a nice sale and you can cop this for ~215.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Price range? If you care more about price than quality, then I'd have to say just grab a Joseph A. Bank tailored or slim fit suit. Get it tailored by a real tailor (i.e., not a JAB tailor in the store) and you will be fine. I copped my JAB tailored fit suit for $157 and it actually looks good on me since I got it tailored further.
I would be happy to get away spending about 400 with tailoring.

Anonymous User wrote:Jos A Bank consistently looks terrible to me, but it may be because I have a weird build of being very broad shouldered and big chested but very skinny.

There are very limited options between 200 and 800 that are consistently reliable and worth it. Personally, 1 great suit seems better than 4-5 mediocre ones unless you wear one every day.
"Better" Is highly dependent on resources. I think it would be better for me to buy something very cheap now--and then buy something better when I can afford better later... I'm the sort of person who ruin's my nice things...
I'm the same way, but I don't know of too many situations when having a nice suit would be more important. This is the event. At law firm socials, you're not really being judged in the same way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:12 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashi ... at_amazon/

Park Ave's for under $200. Just FYI.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashi ... at_amazon/

TYFT! Just picked up some Black PA's for just under $180. Now I feel stupid for having spent that much on my J&M's last year before OCI :/

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:

TYFT! Just picked up some Black PA's for just under $180. Now I feel stupid for having spent that much on my J&M's last year before OCI :/
Nice! I need to get in the habit of scouring that Reddit page as often as possible. There are some ridiculous deals getting tossed around in there.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Nice! I need to get in the habit of scouring that Reddit page as often as possible. There are some ridiculous deals getting tossed around in there.

I'd never thought about using Reddit, but I'm definitely following that page now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”