OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HenryKillinger

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by HenryKillinger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 am

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in San Francisco?

My last request yielded San Francisco Tailors which, after thorough reading of Yelp-reviews, seems to be more geared toward hemming pants and jeans rather than things like suppressing the waist on a suit-jacket.

Thanks in advance

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Bronte wrote:People just unbutton them and then unbutton their shirt sleeves so they can really get a good hand wash after taking a mean shit. Or maybe just so they can leave the bottom button unfastened so people know their suit is tailored (yes, I've seen this done, and I've also seen it advocated in a classic men's style book).
Yeah, the bottom button undone thing is classic, but I don't buy the hand washing bit. I mean, if I take a mean shit and need to do some serious handwashing, I'll have my jacket off in the stall. So I'm going to put my jacket on, unbutton eight jacket sleeve buttons, unbutton my shirt sleeves, and then roll both sets of sleeves up, all before hitting the sink? Notwithstanding the fact that this operation would take the rest of the day to complete, I've just rubbed my shitty hands all over my dry-clean only clothes before washing them. Ain't nobody going through that rigamarole.
HenryKillinger wrote:Can anyone recommend a good tailor in San Francisco?

My last request yielded San Francisco Tailors which, after thorough reading of Yelp-reviews, seems to be more geared toward hemming pants and jeans rather than things like suppressing the waist on a suit-jacket.
Can't help you with San Francisco in particular, but you want to be google searching for "custom tailor" not merely "tailor." A true custom tailor can build you a suit from scratch, and, therefore, should be able to handle any suit alterations you can throw at him.

-Pufer

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Pufer wrote:
Bronte wrote:People just unbutton them and then unbutton their shirt sleeves so they can really get a good hand wash after taking a mean shit. Or maybe just so they can leave the bottom button unfastened so people know their suit is tailored (yes, I've seen this done, and I've also seen it advocated in a classic men's style book).
Yeah, the bottom button undone thing is classic, but I don't buy the hand washing bit. I mean, if I take a mean shit and need to do some serious handwashing, I'll have my jacket off in the stall. So I'm going to put my jacket on, unbutton eight jacket sleeve buttons, unbutton my shirt sleeves, and then roll both sets of sleeves up, all before hitting the sink? Notwithstanding the fact that this operation would take the rest of the day to complete, I've just rubbed my shitty hands all over my dry-clean only clothes before washing them. Ain't nobody going through that rigamarole.
Yeah, I hear you. It's mainly just an excuse for the bottom button unfastened. I didn't get it done on my suits, so I'm not doing either lol.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 pm

LOL at paying extra for surgeon's cuffs on a BB suit.

If you do this, be sure to do it in contrasting thread to make it extra sprezztastic.

And then leave at least two (2) buttons undone. It will be golden with your square-toed Johnston and Murphy's.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:14 pm

jkay wrote:LOL at paying extra for surgeon's cuffs on a BB suit.

If you do this, be sure to do it in contrasting thread to make it extra sprezztastic.

And then leave at least two (2) buttons undone. It will be golden with your square-toed Johnston and Murphy's.
u mad brah?

Also, thanks for putting the 2 in parenthesis. Wouldn't have known what you meant otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:

u mad brah?

Also, thanks for putting the 2 in parenthesis. Wouldn't have known what you meant otherwise.
+1. Thanks for the "2."

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Bronte wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

u mad brah?

+1. Thanks for the "2."

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

aschup wrote:[img]
Haha, yeah. First post of the day. Just warming up a little.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 pm

aschup wrote: Image
Thank you. Although, when people interpret your joke about trying too hard as trying too hard, there's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 pm

jkay wrote:
aschup wrote: Image
Thank you. Although, when people interpret your joke about trying too hard as trying too hard, there's probably a lesson in there somewhere.
Kind of ironic that the picture is of a dude wearing his jacket sleeves rolled up.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Just an FYI, JAB is having a sale this weekend. Buy 1 get 2 free (suits) plus 3 free shirts or ties.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:17 pm

clearfire wrote:Just an FYI, JAB is having a sale this weekend. Buy 1 get 2 free (suits) plus 3 free shirts or ties.
Holy balls. So you get 3 suits and 3 shirts for the price of one suit? If I needed that much shit I might go there, but I just need to pick up a backup suit for OCI.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah, it's a good deal if you think you will need three suits at some point. They do this sale twice a year I think so next summer you can count on the same deal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm practicing tying a bow-tie for a party tomorrow and this shit is way confusing.

<<<newfound respect for bow-tie wearers

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:31 am

clearfire wrote:Yeah, it's a good deal if you think you will need three suits at some point. They do this sale twice a year I think so next summer you can count on the same deal.
This is rather better than their usual deal, actually. Typically, the three shirts are three Executive line shirts, which are okay, but no great shakes. This time around, it's three shirts from any line (including the Traveler wrinkle frees), or three ties from any line. I don't remember them ever being this expansive with their three free shirt/tie deal before.

-Pufer

NeedSuits

New

Post by NeedSuits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Just saw a JAB commercial. Everything in the store is half-off. And, then you can get another suit free after buying one for half-off.

So, basically, 2 suits for half the price of one.

Any warnings about JAB? Seems too good to be true, esp. for a 0L looking to save money!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

these sales always happen when I am broke :x
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
NeedSuits wrote:Just saw a JAB commercial. Everything in the store is half-off. And, then you can get another suit free after buying one for half-off.

So, basically, 2 suits for half the price of one.

Any warnings about JAB? Seems too good to be true, esp. for a 0L looking to save money!
Also interested in this. IIRC, Pufer said to jump all over a good deal with the Signature line, but that the Executive line wasn't as good.

Any posters currently have JAB suits? Would you recommend them?
I got a signature line suit and an executive line suit last year

the the signature suite was awesome (as far as color, pattern, design, texture) but it was a little bit too broad for me and I returned cause I didn't want to spend a lot on alterations.

the executive line suite I got for like $80... it's not great, but for the price it'll fill the role of the sort of suit you put on because you have to wear one, but you don't have to (or don't want to) dress to impress. The fabric is a bit less dense (?) than my other suits, so I don't think it'll last as long, but for $80 I think it was a steal.

I bought them online, FWIW, and I returned the one to a brick and mortar store, very hassle free.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hodgy

Gold

Post by Hodgy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:16 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:I'm practicing tying a bow-tie for a party tomorrow and this shit is way confusing.

Easier to tie than a regular tie. It's just like tying a shoelace.

NeedSuits

New

Post by NeedSuits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

God, this thread is a beast!

Some questions as I peruse the thread. Note, I currently have 0 suits as I'm getting ready of the old, ill-fitting, crappy ones I currently have:

1) Color choice. If I get four suits, I'd get navy, gray/charcoal, black and...what should the 4th be? Is this a good selection of colors?

2) I'm short (frickin' 5'7). Is slim fit okay so as not to make me look so stout?

3) Any general advice for a 0L looking to fill the suit wardrobe?

Also, are the Traveler Tailored Fit Suits from JAB not recommended?

I may go to the store to look and then order online. I get 6 bonus points for every dollar spent through my credit card (BOA World Points, if anyone is wondering). That's a lot of points to be had!

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Hodgy wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:I'm practicing tying a bow-tie for a party tomorrow and this shit is way confusing.

Easier to tie than a regular tie. It's just like tying a shoelace.
Probably just seems more difficult at this point because I've been tying regular ties nearly everyday for a couple of years now

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NeedSuits

New

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by NeedSuits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Joseph A Bank is having a sale: buy 2 suits for half the price of 1 suit.

Some questions I have as I look through suit threads. Note, I currently have 0 suits as I'm getting ready of the old, ill-fitting, crappy ones I currently have:

1) Color choice. If I get four suits, I'd get navy, gray/charcoal, black and...what should the 4th be? Is this a good selection of colors?

2) I'm short (frickin' 5'7). Is slim fit okay so as not to make me look so stout?

Also, are the Traveler Tailored Fit Suits from JAB not recommended?

I may go to the store to look and then order online. I get 6 bonus points for every dollar spent through my credit card (BOA World Points, if anyone is wondering). That's a lot of points to be had!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:47 pm

OH MY GOD, JOS. A BANK IS HAVING A SALE?!?!?!?!?!!111//??

Quick, everybody, buy 1 suit get 3 trash bags full of ties, underwear, garters, lanyards, and SHAM-WOW(TM)s free!!!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Jos A BAnk threading on TLS?!? The Xo TLS merger count down clock has started.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

NeedSuits wrote:God, this thread is a beast!

Some questions as I peruse the thread. Note, I currently have 0 suits as I'm getting ready of the old, ill-fitting, crappy ones I currently have:

1) gray/charcoal is more versatile, so I'd go with that. You don't need more than 1 black suit. I'd say if you have a dark gray, get a light gray and vice versa

2) slim fit is not necessarily for slim people, but I dunno, so long as you aren't short and fat I don't think it'd be a problem

3) when in doubt follow Pufer's advice... for 0L you only need 1 suit. Your interview suit. It should be your finest conservative suit. What does that mean? Charcoal/gray, 2 button, single breasted, side vented... no bold pin stripes, no vest. Then have it altered to fit your specifics measurements better.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”