OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm

GeePee wrote:
daesonesb wrote:As far as ties go: If you can't tell whether your tie goes well with your shirt, you probably need to tone it down. The good thing about wearing light blue or white solid shirts is that they will nearly always go well with your tie.

On a different tack, what do people think about criss cross lacing a captoed oxford? I get that you only get the full closure of the shoe's sides if you flat lace the shoe... but I find that flat lacing doesn't look that great -- almost cheap for some reason.

I prefer to criss cross lace my dress shoes, but understand that doesn't lead to a perfect meeting of the shoe's sides. What are people's opinions?
Interesting, I prefer flat-lace because it creates the fewest lines to draw the viewer's attention. I'd much rather someone looking at my oxfords see the break of my pants and the toe of my shoe, passing over the laces area. That may just be because I have giant, size-14 feet.

I think it's okay to have some space between the sides of your shoe and the break and toe, especially if you have somewhat smaller/normal-sized feet.
As Morgan Freeman said in one of my favorite movies: "I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

I don't know how some of you guys convince yourselves that anyone looks this hard

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 pm

kaiser wrote:
As Morgan Freeman said in one of my favorite movies: "I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

I don't know how some of you guys convince yourselves that anyone looks this hard
There will always be those who pay attention to detail and those who don't (in matters of fashion and elsewhere). I prefer to be one who pays attention to detail. Also, they say a man's shoes is the first thing a woman sees.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

kaiser wrote:As Morgan Freeman said in one of my favorite movies: "I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

My boss this summer (1L job) frequently makes comments about the shoes the guys are wearing.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 pm

California Babe wrote:
kaiser wrote:As Morgan Freeman said in one of my favorite movies: "I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

My boss this summer (1L job) frequently makes comments about the shoes the guys are wearing.
Well, apparently its the first thing a woman notices. If my boss (a guy) makes a comment about my shoes, I'll be sure to remind him of that :)

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm

kaiser wrote:
GeePee wrote:
daesonesb wrote:As far as ties go: If you can't tell whether your tie goes well with your shirt, you probably need to tone it down. The good thing about wearing light blue or white solid shirts is that they will nearly always go well with your tie.

On a different tack, what do people think about criss cross lacing a captoed oxford? I get that you only get the full closure of the shoe's sides if you flat lace the shoe... but I find that flat lacing doesn't look that great -- almost cheap for some reason.

I prefer to criss cross lace my dress shoes, but understand that doesn't lead to a perfect meeting of the shoe's sides. What are people's opinions?
Interesting, I prefer flat-lace because it creates the fewest lines to draw the viewer's attention. I'd much rather someone looking at my oxfords see the break of my pants and the toe of my shoe, passing over the laces area. That may just be because I have giant, size-14 feet.

I think it's okay to have some space between the sides of your shoe and the break and toe, especially if you have somewhat smaller/normal-sized feet.

I always notice someone's shoes. More than any other item of clothing, and regardless of gender.

However, not even I notice how someone has their shoes laced.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazycanuck

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 am

center or side vents?

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:13 pm

crazycanuck wrote:center or side vents?
Totally personal preference. Assertions that one or the other looks better for fat/skinny people are generally nonsense.

-Pufer

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

James Bond wrote:This button down collar hate for formal and business attire or all attire?

I can't stand when people wear button down collars with suits and ties, but you better believe I rock my Ralph Lauren oxford button down casually.
I think it actually looks better for business casual than a non-BD. If I'm not wearing a tie, I want my collar to stay down.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
James Bond wrote:This button down collar hate for formal and business attire or all attire?

I can't stand when people wear button down collars with suits and ties, but you better believe I rock my Ralph Lauren oxford button down casually.
I think it actually looks better for business casual than a non-BD. If I'm not wearing a tie, I want my collar to
stay down.
Agreed. I try to wear button down collars when I wear business casual. I think it looks much sharper.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Pufer wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:center or side vents?
Totally personal preference. Assertions that one or the other looks better for fat/skinny people are generally nonsense.

-Pufer
I feel like side-vents allow for more freedom of movement but that might just be something I've erroneously convinced myself of.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Just got the CT shirts that I ordered. Great fit and very comfortable, only qualm is that the medium-spread collars are a little closer to wide than I might like. Fortunately it's not too egregious or noticeable to the average viewer.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Hey I see that Charles Tyrwhitt is having a sale on shirts right now (maybe they are always having a sale like JAB I dunno). Is the consensus here that those are pretty good shirts for ~$40? I noticed they have been talked about over the last couple pages.

xyzbca

Bronze

Post by xyzbca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Pufer or anybody else that may wish to chime in:

I ordered the grey BB 1818 Fitzgerald yesterday. I'm thinking of spending the extra $100 for the functional cuff buttons (the suit is being shipped in and we haven't started on alterations). I'm a fairly conservative person but I like the idea of the functional cuff buttons. Is the 1818 "high end enough" to justify the functional cuff buttons or will it look ridiculous? This will be the nicest suit I own. Cost is not an issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for surgeon sleeves on a half canvas suit. Maybe down the road when you can afford a golden fleece or something top notch.

xyzbca

Bronze

Post by xyzbca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 pm

leobowski wrote:I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for surgeon sleeves on a half canvas suit. Maybe down the road when you can afford a golden fleece or something top notch.
That's exactly why I'm trigger shy on it. It's a nice detail that I would like to have but my instinct is that it would appear out of place. I'm guessing the vast majority of people wouldn't notice even notice it. Perhaps I'll be able to do it in a few years.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:15 pm

xyzbca wrote:
leobowski wrote:I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for surgeon sleeves on a half canvas suit. Maybe down the road when you can afford a golden fleece or something top notch.
That's exactly why I'm trigger shy on it. It's a nice detail that I would like to have but my instinct is that it would appear out of place. I'm guessing the vast majority of people wouldn't notice even notice it. Perhaps I'll be able to do it in a few years.
You can always have it done later. I didn't do it on my Fitzgeralds, but I would have had I not already felt like I was splurging. I don't see any reason to think it would look out of place. They're upper-middle end suits (in fact, to most people, they're extremely high end suits), and all you're doing is making the buttons work. It can actually come in handy for washing hands.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:15 pm

xyzbca wrote:Pufer or anybody else that may wish to chime in:

I ordered the grey BB 1818 Fitzgerald yesterday. I'm thinking of spending the extra $100 for the functional cuff buttons (the suit is being shipped in and we haven't started on alterations). I'm a fairly conservative person but I like the idea of the functional cuff buttons. Is the 1818 "high end enough" to justify the functional cuff buttons or will it look ridiculous? This will be the nicest suit I own. Cost is not an issue.
Don't get functional cuff buttons unless you're 110% sure that the sleeves will need no adjusting whatsoever. Getting surgeon's cuffs altered is a real bitch and can sometimes ruin a suit.

If you're sure that the fit is spot-on and money isn't an issue, I'd say go for it. You'll be the only person who knows that they're there, so don't worry about looking gaudy. It's entirely psychological, but I've found that suits with surgeon's cuffs feel more put together. They're also occasionally useful (hot weather, washing hands, if you ever need to roll up your sleeves, etc...).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:42 pm

notanumber wrote:
xyzbca wrote:Pufer or anybody else that may wish to chime in:

Don't get functional cuff buttons unless you're 110% sure that the sleeves will need no adjusting whatsoever. Getting surgeon's cuffs altered is a real bitch and can sometimes ruin a suit.

If you're sure that the fit is spot-on and money isn't an issue, I'd say go for it. You'll be the only person who knows that they're there, so don't worry about looking gaudy. It's entirely psychological, but I've found that suits with surgeon's cuffs feel more put together. They're also occasionally useful (hot weather, washing hands, if you ever need to roll up your sleeves, etc...).
Thanks for the info on sleeve length. Didn't know that.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 pm

xyzbca wrote:I ordered the grey BB 1818 Fitzgerald yesterday. I'm thinking of spending the extra $100 for the functional cuff buttons (the suit is being shipped in and we haven't started on alterations). I'm a fairly conservative person but I like the idea of the functional cuff buttons. Is the 1818 "high end enough" to justify the functional cuff buttons or will it look ridiculous? This will be the nicest suit I own. Cost is not an issue.
I'm not sure what would be un-conservative about functional cuff buttons, and I doubt that it would look ridiculous. My advice would be, if you want them, go ahead and get them; the value of the suit itself doesn't matter. You only live once.

$100 seems a bit steep, though. My tailor is viciously expensive, but even he only charges $10 per.
notanumber wrote:They're also occasionally useful (hot weather, washing hands, if you ever need to roll up your sleeves, etc...).
I guess I never thought of it before, but I have literally never seen anyone in real life roll up the sleeves of their suit jacket. If you're in a situation where you need to keep your jacket on and actually need to roll up your sleeves (a situation that I don't think any lawyer has ever found himself in), I have no idea what you're doing.

-Pufer

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Pufer wrote:
I guess I never thought of it before, but I have literally never seen anyone in real life roll up the sleeves of their suit jacket. If you're in a situation where you need to keep your jacket on and actually need to roll up your sleeves (a situation that I don't think any lawyer has ever found himself in), I have no idea what you're doing.

-Pufer
Thank you, this is what I was thinking. Why would you not just take your jacket off? Maybe if you were in an open field with nothing anywhere to set anything on, and no one around to hold it, and there was a flood, and you needed to reach into the water with both hands, but only a few inches, and...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Pufer wrote:
xyzbca wrote:I ordered the grey BB 1818 Fitzgerald yesterday. I'm thinking of spending the extra $100 for the functional cuff buttons (the suit is being shipped in and we haven't started on alterations). I'm a fairly conservative person but I like the idea of the functional cuff buttons. Is the 1818 "high end enough" to justify the functional cuff buttons or will it look ridiculous? This will be the nicest suit I own. Cost is not an issue.
I'm not sure what would be un-conservative about functional cuff buttons, and I doubt that it would look ridiculous. My advice would be, if you want them, go ahead and get them; the value of the suit itself doesn't matter. You only live once.

$100 seems a bit steep, though. My tailor is viciously expensive, but even he only charges $10 per.
This is what I though you'd say with regards to getting the buttons done. (Yes, I channel Pufer.) BB charges $10 per, and there are eight cuff buttons on an 1818, so it'll come out at around $80 plus tax.
Pufer wrote:
notanumber wrote:They're also occasionally useful (hot weather, washing hands, if you ever need to roll up your sleeves, etc...).

-Pufer
People just unbutton them and then unbutton their shirt sleeves so they can really get a good hand wash after taking a mean shit. Or maybe just so they can leave the bottom button unfastened so people know their suit is tailored (yes, I've seen this done, and I've also seen it advocated in a classic men's style book).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 pm

psh, i don't buy into the CT hype. it is a british jos a banks

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 pm

bartleby wrote:psh, i don't buy into the CT hype. it is a british jos a banks
Maybe, but a British Jos. A. Banks might be a good thing where instead of inexpensive frumpy suiting it's inexpensive contemporary suiting. I'm only going from viewing their respective lines on the web and ordering and returning one JAB item that was awful.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:22 pm

but CT isn't really cheap either. not like any of this really matters.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:24 pm

bartleby wrote:but CT isn't really cheap either. not like any of this really matters.
It's relatively cheap when it's on sale. $50 shirts last I checked. But no, it's not in the lower tier. I think it's better than JAB though on a number of levels, again just from my perceptions from perusing the site and from the one item I ordered from JAB. JAB's website is TTT and their clothes are drab and outdated. It epitomizes 90s wear to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”