OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nova

Platinum

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote: Whens the next one?
Depends what you're shopping for. Change of seasons are good. Mid-summer is also good.
Please excuse my clothing noobness:

Im a 1L and will be looking for a good interview suit for next semester. So I think I can hold out till summer. I already read Pufer + like fifty pages of this thread. Probably gonna get AEs. Im thinking BB for the suit. When is BBs next big sale?

I also need slacks + dress shirts for work this summer. I would prefer good quality + affordable. What brands would be considered a good mix of those qualities?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Nova wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Depends what you're shopping for. Change of seasons are good. Mid-summer is also good.

Im a 1L and will be looking for a good interview suit for next semester. So I think I can hold out till summer. I already read Pufer + like fifty pages of this thread. Probably gonna get AEs. Im thinking BB for the suit. When is BBs next big sale?

I also need slacks + dress shirts for work this summer. I would prefer good quality + affordable. What brands would be considered a good mix of those qualities?
Brooks Brothers still had a winter clearance right now.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Good to know, TY

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Nova wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I think its semi-annual... So now, and mid-summer as well. The Brooks Brothers slim fit no-iron button-down is my favorite dress shirts, and their pants are pretty good as well—but I only get them if they are on sale. You can get shirts between $25-$50 a piece when they are on sale. I love the no-iron, non-dry-clean-only shirts because I can wash them normally and just hang them up ASAP when the dryer is done and they look great.

For cheap, good pants I usually just go to Younkers/Macy's/whatever when I can find a 20-25% off coupon. Kenneth Cole Reactions are my favorite because I like the way they fit and they look pretty nice for the $30-$40 you can get them for if you get a good coupon.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Hey guys, I was just assigned an interview next week for a pre-law program, and I'd like to prepare.

The problem is I only have one suit, and it's black (although it's tailored/fits great). Is this an absolute no-go, or would I be able to make do with it at the interview?

I'd be trying to counterbalance the black with a white dress shirt and striped blue tie, or a light blue dress shirt, if you think that's better. I don't know if brown shoes is too risky - are black dress shoes the go-to here?

Any help is appreciated, just trying to avoid looking like I'm coming from a funeral, and a new navy/charcoal suit is beyond my budget right now. It'd mean a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm

J90 wrote:Hey guys, I was just assigned an interview next week for a pre-law program, and I'd like to prepare.

The problem is I only have one suit, and it's black (although it's tailored/fits great). Is this an absolute no-go, or would I be able to make do with it at the interview?

I'd be trying to counterbalance the black with a white dress shirt and striped blue tie, or a light blue dress shirt, if you think that's better. I don't know if brown shoes is too risky - are black dress shoes the go-to here?

Any help is appreciated, just trying to avoid looking like I'm coming from a funeral, and a new navy/charcoal suit is beyond my budget right now. It'd mean a lot.
If you have to wear the black suit, then definitely avoid brown shoes/brown belt/brown watchband. All of that should be black as well. Wear a white dress shirt, since that's always the gold standard for interviews.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks Chris.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
J90 wrote:Hey guys, I was just assigned an interview next week for a pre-law program, and I'd like to prepare.

If you have to wear the black suit, then definitely avoid brown shoes/brown belt/brown watchband. All of that should be black as well. Wear a white dress shirt, since that's always the gold standard for interviews.
Got it, thanks, man. If I go white shirt/black suit/black shoes, which makes sense to me and is fine, what can I do to make it look like I'm not coming to a funeral? I'd likely wear a striped blue tie - think that's okay? My other option's a mid-dark red with a gold stripe, but if I should use another I don't mind buying a new tie.

I don't own any cufflinks or anything like that, but is it worthwhile to get a cheap silver pair from a thrift shop/ebay?

JayTeeDee

New

Post by JayTeeDee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Are sweaters alright to wear in the office, if the office stresses business casual? Sweaters, dress pants, and loafers/ driving shoes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 pm

J90 wrote: Got it, thanks, man. If I go white shirt/black suit/black shoes, which makes sense to me and is fine, what can I do to make it look like I'm not coming to a funeral? I'd likely wear a striped blue tie - think that's okay? My other option's a mid-dark red with a gold stripe, but if I should use another I don't mind buying a new tie.

I don't own any cufflinks or anything like that, but is it worthwhile to get a cheap silver pair from a thrift shop/ebay?
Do you have French cuff shirts? In any case, I prefer barrel-cuff (the normal button type) over french cuffs with cufflinks for interviews. It's less flashy, IMO, which is good.

The dark blue stripped tie is a solid choice. The red with gold stripe is a good option too, IMO, but some on here will say red is frowned upon as of late by potential employers.

If you can swing getting a dark charcoal or navy suit, you might as well... I know you said you can't afford it right now, but maybe ask parents or grandparents to help? Its an investment you'll use over and over again in the coming years.

nys

New

Post by nys » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 pm

http://queencitytrader.com/photos/dec20 ... _6_214.jpg

Acceptable interview wear with a Navy or Charcoal suit?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:57 pm

nys wrote:http://queencitytrader.com/photos/dec20 ... _6_214.jpg

Acceptable? Yes. But a blucher is not preferable to a balmoral for interviews.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
nys wrote:http://queencitytrader.com/photos/dec20 ... _6_214.jpg

Acceptable? Yes. But a blucher is not preferable to a balmoral for interviews.
While true, that's a balmoral he posted.

ETA: Your instincts are right though - its acceptable for an interview but the brouging as well as the fact that its brown rather than black mean there are certainly better choices for an interview shoe. This is one of the many "if you already own it, okay" but shouldn't buy for an interview shoe.
Last edited by LeDique on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

For those of you with nothing to do today, Banana Republic is having a 40% off sale in-store only. Their slim fit stretch white dress shirt is probably the most credited for other skinny dudes, and it's only $35-40 during this sale.

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 pm

So I went to Macy's to pick up a bunch of dress shirts. It seemed like 90% of the stuff I found had "point collars" rather than the wider collars. I tried on 5 or 6 different brands, and I think 4 of them had these type of collars. I need to get slim fit, lest I look like a square (Im short and muscular).

--ImageRemoved--

I got frustrated and said fuck it. I just bought 2 and made sure to ask about the return policy. I wanted to try it on with my suit and see how it looks. I dont really like it, but Im not sure if that's because Im just not used to it or if it genuinely looks retarded. I dont like that the collar doesnt go underneath the collar of my suit.

Thoughts?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote: I dont like that the collar doesnt go underneath the collar of my suit.
This sounds like a huge problem. What do you mean exactly? Point collars otherwise would be okay.

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 pm

LeDique wrote:
MapsMapsMaps wrote: I dont like that the collar doesnt go underneath the collar of my suit.
This sounds like a huge problem. What do you mean exactly? Point collars otherwise would be okay.
Look at the pic of the dude in the suit. His "points" arent covered by the collar of the suit coat. They just kinda hang out. And when I have a half-windsor, they are slightly lifted off of the surface of the shirt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I bought shirts like the one on the right. The other shirts I own (and think are more normal) is on the left.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm

I thought you meant something different. No, that's fine in the sense that it's not wrong interview attire. If you don't like it though, don't force yourself to. A medium spread collar is fine too and it sounds like you'd be more comfortable wearing that.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 am

MapsMapsMaps wrote:So I went to Macy's to pick up a bunch of dress shirts. It seemed like 90% of the stuff I found had "point collars" rather than the wider collars. I tried on 5 or 6 different brands, and I think 4 of them had these type of collars. I need to get slim fit, lest I look like a square (Im short and muscular).

<pics>

I got frustrated and said fuck it. I just bought 2 and made sure to ask about the return policy. I wanted to try it on with my suit and see how it looks. I dont really like it, but Im not sure if that's because Im just not used to it or if it genuinely looks retarded. I dont like that the collar doesnt go underneath the collar of my suit.

Thoughts?
Traditionally, you could tell the formality of an event by the width of the collar that was expected at it. For a formal portrait in a suit, you wouldn't would definitely have a collar wide enough that the collar tips would be fully concealed behind your jacket lapels. Notwithstanding the current popularity of the wider forms of the spread collar, this is still generally the rule.

Everything you will ever do as a lawyer (except for taking the odd formal portrait or fancy ass dinner) is not formal. It's business. For business, a narrower spread is most appropriate, but the current style dictates that up to a medium spread is fully acceptable. Basically, the range is standard point to medium spread. If you go narrower, you look like an extra from Goodfellas. If you go wider, you look like you're going to a prom. (If you go button-down, you look like you shouldn't be wearing a tie.)

If you prefer medium spread, return your point collars for a couple medium spreads and nobody will ever look at you twice. However, with the shorter length of today's collars (particularly in slimmer-cut off-the-rack shirts), a lot of medium spread collars won't be hidden by your jacket lapels either.

Also, despite the apparent plethora of brands at Macy's, everything there is made by the same two companies. There's no reason to shop at Macy's for anything, ever, unless you particularly like the store-brand Alfani undershirts or they're having one hell of a sale. All their label stuff is available at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross/Burlington Coat Factory/anywhere for a lot less.

-Pufer

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 am

omg a Pufer poast brb

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 am

Pufer wrote:
MapsMapsMaps wrote:So I went to Macy's to pick up a bunch of dress shirts. It seemed like 90% of the stuff I found had "point collars" rather than the wider collars. I tried on 5 or 6 different brands, and I think 4 of them had these type of collars. I need to get slim fit, lest I look like a square (Im short and muscular).

<pics>

Thoughts?
Traditionally, you could tell the formality of an event by the width of the collar that was expected at it. For a formal portrait in a suit, you wouldn't would definitely have a collar wide enough that the collar tips would be fully concealed behind your jacket lapels. Notwithstanding the current popularity of the wider forms of the spread collar, this is still generally the rule.

Everything you will ever do as a lawyer (except for taking the odd formal portrait or fancy ass dinner) is not formal. It's business. For business, a narrower spread is most appropriate, but the current style dictates that up to a medium spread is fully acceptable. Basically, the range is standard point to medium spread. If you go narrower, you look like an extra from Goodfellas. If you go wider, you look like you're going to a prom. (If you go button-down, you look like you shouldn't be wearing a tie.)

If you prefer medium spread, return your point collars for a couple medium spreads and nobody will ever look at you twice. However, with the shorter length of today's collars (particularly in slimmer-cut off-the-rack shirts), a lot of medium spread collars won't be hidden by your jacket lapels either.

Also, despite the apparent plethora of brands at Macy's, everything there is made by the same two companies. There's no reason to shop at Macy's for anything, ever, unless you particularly like the store-brand Alfani undershirts or they're having one hell of a sale. All their label stuff is available at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross/Burlington Coat Factory/anywhere for a lot less.

-Pufer
Thanks to both posters!! Lots of info! So maybe my collar isnt too bad of a thing.

@pufer - I had a 200 dollar gift card there! Hence Macy's... hahah Plus, they had 30% off most stuff and then 25% off if you spent more than 100 bananas. I bought 2 calvin klein shirts for 70 bucks and then a pair of nice, dress, casual, whatever boots for 60 bucks after the discounts were applied.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 am

MapsMapsMaps wrote:@pufer - I had a 200 dollar gift card there! Hence Macy's... hahah Plus, they had 30% off most stuff and then 25% off if you spent more than 100 bananas. I bought 2 calvin klein shirts for 70 bucks and then a pair of nice, dress, casual, whatever boots for 60 bucks after the discounts were applied.
I suppose I'll accept spending free money as an acceptable reason to shop at Macy's. ;)

If you live in one of the 29 states where Dillard's exists, you can generally get CK premium line shirts at a Dillard's Clearance Center for under $15 if you follow the sales. Plain white typically goes pretty fast in all brands at DCC, but if you like CK fit and want some pastel or gray shirts, they can frequently be found (in both point and medium spread collars).

-Pufer

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Those headless, footless, but with hands shots are kind of creepy.

Itinerant

New

Post by Itinerant » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:52 am

bk187 wrote:Those headless, footless, but with hands shots are kind of creepy.
Charcoal suit, white shirt, and a navy tie is the exact fit I wore to all my callbacks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”