OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kretzy

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Kretzy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I asked this earlier, but does anyone know if the quality/prices coming out of Sacks off Fifth or the Rack is better?
I prefer Sax off Fifth.
Rack is net cheaper, generally, but Off Fifth has better deals by percent off.
I can never find anything when I go to the Rack. I have always found the suit selection to be superb at Off Fifth. But then again, I've only been to a couple of each of those stores, and your mileage may vary wildly.
Completely agree. I generally find 2-3 suits I could buy and at least 5 shirts that fit great at Off Fifth. At the Rack I feel like I'm in grandpa's closet, hoping something from the 70s is "in" again.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 am

Is there a way the mods could enter in a "general consensus" section at the beginning of this thread. I always lose my place and can't find important information again.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Is there a way the mods could enter in a "general consensus" section at the beginning of this thread. I always lose my place and can't find important information again.
I doubt the mods are gonna wanna do it, but we could probably start crafting one and they'd paste it in there.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 am

Is a lighter grey, in the silver range, safe enough if worn with a conservative tie, or do I need to go for full on charcoal?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 am

Bronte wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Is there a way the mods could enter in a "general consensus" section at the beginning of this thread. I always lose my place and can't find important information again.
I doubt the mods are gonna wanna do it, but we could probably start crafting one and they'd paste it in there.
They should just take Pufer's megapost and paste it there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:07 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
Bronte wrote:
+1. That's really all you need to know.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 am

beachbum wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Bronte wrote:

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 am

Helmholtz wrote:
beachbum wrote:+1. That's really all you need to know.
What's missing? As far as I can tell, his latest megapost pretty much covers the bases in what you should be shopping for.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 am

beachbum wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Well really, in that regard you could put "all you need to know" into a few sentences: "100% wool solid charcoal or solid navy suit with appropriate aterations made, plain white button-up shirt with point or medium spread collar, red or blue tie with conservative pattern, black cap toe shoes matching black belt, no cuff links, pocket square or tie bar, plain dress socks matching suit color, price doesn't matter for OCI purposes as long as suit fits well"

I think the more interesting parts of this thread are where clothes are discussed more generally outside the context of OCI. What counts as sufficiently conservative was established on like page 1 or 2 and is just repeated ad nauseum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:14 am

What's wrong with cuff links?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:What's wrong with cuff links?
Too flashy.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

beachbum wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
What's missing? As far as I can tell, his latest megapost pretty much covers the bases in what you should be shopping for.
I prefer common sense over some dude in Phoenix or Denver or wherever he is, doing whatever the hell he does, telling me that pale blue shirts are not a good idea for OCI and that your shirt must be white.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:56 am

Helmholtz wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
I prefer common sense over some dude in Phoenix or Denver or wherever he is, doing whatever the hell he does, telling me that pale blue shirts are not a good idea for OCI and that your shirt must be white.
you mad bro?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

beach_terror wrote: you mad bro?
Not at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Its not that the overarching advice on here is wrong, but it certainly isn't the end-all. I went with a pale blue shirt the other day to a screener at a big firm and got a callback within 2 hours of the interview. Trust me, they don't care whether your shirt is pale blue or white. They care about your resume, personality, ability to hold a conversation, writing skills, etc. Can you go wrong with a plain white shirt? No. But that doesn't mean that the only acceptable thing for an interview.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Its not that the overarching advice on here is wrong, but it certainly isn't the end-all. I went with a pale blue shirt the other day to a screener at a big firm and got a callback within 2 hours of the interview. Trust me, they don't care whether your shirt is pale blue or white. They care about your resume, personality, ability to hold a conversation, writing skills, etc. Can you go wrong with a plain white shirt? No. But that doesn't mean that the only acceptable thing for an interview.
I completely agree. Of course if you wear something that obviously shows poor judgment, it's going to get held against you; but I think people in this thread overthink things. Use common sense. Period. I guess Pufer's advice holds well for people who don't have a lot of common sense in the professional fashion department, but come on. Anyway, I do think that this thread has been incredibly useful in spotting when something's on sale or a good buy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:05 pm

need shoes, don't want to spend more than $150 (although i know i should).

suggestions?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 pm

traehekat wrote:need shoes, don't want to spend more than $150 (although i know i should).

suggestions?
I know that I bashed Nordstrom Rack a little earlier, but I have actually found really good shoes in there. The last time I went through their selection, I saw multiple Allen Edmonds marked down from $300-$400 to $125-200.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:10 pm

traehekat wrote:need shoes, don't want to spend more than $150 (although i know i should).

suggestions?
I was at Macy's the other day and they had some really nice Cole Haan shoes and Johnston & Murphy shoes for 100 and 120 respectively. They both looked really nice (your standard black captoed oxford), and I picked up the Cole Haan pair since I could really use another pair for interviews.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Its not that the overarching advice on here is wrong, but it certainly isn't the end-all. I went with a pale blue shirt the other day to a screener at a big firm and got a callback within 2 hours of the interview. Trust me, they don't care whether your shirt is pale blue or white. They care about your resume, personality, ability to hold a conversation, writing skills, etc. Can you go wrong with a plain white shirt? No. But that doesn't mean that the only acceptable thing for an interview.
I think the advice is more tailored to making sure that there are no negative consequences of what you wear, even if there is only like a 1% chance in it bothering an interviewer, then you might as well just avoid it if you're buying everything fresh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think the advice is more tailored to making sure that there are no negative consequences of what you wear, even if there is only like a 1% chance in it bothering an interviewer, then you might as well just avoid it if you're buying everything fresh.
If an interviewer is going to be bothered by a pale blue shirt, I don't want to work there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know. I understand that the argument is that a white shirt cannot possibly hurt you, whereas you walk a fine line once you start experimenting without any marginal benefit from it. But my advice is for those who actually have sound judgment and the tiny bit of tact necessary to know the limits of experimentation. A very pale blue or cream colored shirt is firmly within the bounds of acceptability (as are thin pinstripes on suits, or different styles of shoes, etc.). Sure, for those who are so clueless that they need to only grab a white shirt for fear of doing something stupid, then the overarching advice is quite sound.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If an interviewer is going to be bothered by a pale blue shirt, I don't want to work there.
I hear you, and if that was recommended then I think you're right. I was just defending Pufer's line of thinking is all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I think the advice is more tailored to making sure that there are no negative consequences of what you wear, even if there is only like a 1% chance in it bothering an interviewer, then you might as well just avoid it if you're buying everything fresh.
If an interviewer is going to be bothered by a pale blue shirt, I don't want to work there.[/quote]
I agree that the "WHITE SHIRTS ONLY!" thing is a bit overdone (and I'm an extremely conservative dresser). That said, not wanting to work at a firm of hundreds of people because one particular person has a problem with pale blue shirts is silly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”