OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sprezz

Bronze

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by sprezz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:05 pm

tldr the carlyle's lack of a captoe decoration lets them play both up and down the formality scale from a PA. if you would ever be comfortable wearing a black PA, you should also be comfortable wearing a carlyle. it's the perfect OCI shoe because it works just as well with a suit but it works better along the fringes (e.g. pants + sportcoat for cocktail hour or the rare non-sandals quinn interview)

you asked a few q's so for completeness: the AE leathers on these options are the same calfskin, so no worries about one being shinier than the other; you can dictate their shininess with conditioner, polish, etc. and about balmoral vs blucher - basically, look to the bottom of the eyeholes that the laces go through. here's a picture that pretty much covers it. it's just one of many factors that determines a shoe's formality, but it's probably the second most prominent (to shoe color). balmorals tend to call for suits; bluchers tend to call for less.

with a plain toe shoe though - buy shoe trees!!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

I think the vamp is a more recognizable characteristic but that's just me

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I really just don't like bluchers for whatever reason. And definitely do not ever like them with a suit. I won't even wear bluchers with jeans unless they are suede, but that's totally a personal opinion thing of course.

My point - the Carlyle looks awesome.

1l2016

New

Post by 1l2016 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 pm

I recently got this shirt as a gift in blue, not light blue (I couldn't find the exact shirt on the website, but the pattern is exactly the same, though in a different blue). Is the shirt OCI appropriate? I'm pretty broke and hoping to not have to dish out any more money on a plain white shirt. I just bought a pair of Park Avenues, which really hurt, but hopefully worth it. Thanks!

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Non-Iron- ... &cgid=0203

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

1l2016 wrote:I recently got this shirt as a gift in blue, not light blue (I couldn't find the exact shirt on the website, but the pattern is exactly the same, though in a different blue). Is the shirt OCI appropriate? I'm pretty broke and hoping to not have to dish out any more money on a plain white shirt. I just bought a pair of Park Avenues, which really hurt, but hopefully worth it. Thanks!

so it is pinstriped in a darker blue with a button down collar?

Do not wear that to a job interview, go to your local Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack, pay $35-40 for a plain white dress shirt without a button down collar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FredJones

New

Post by FredJones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Anyone have thoughts on JCrew factory suits?

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/ ... _name=navy

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
1l2016 wrote:I recently got this shirt as a gift in blue, not light blue (I couldn't find the exact shirt on the website, but the pattern is exactly the same, though in a different blue). Is the shirt OCI appropriate? I'm pretty broke and hoping to not have to dish out any more money on a plain white shirt. I just bought a pair of Park Avenues, which really hurt, but hopefully worth it. Thanks!

so it is pinstriped in a darker blue with a button down collar?

Do not wear that to a job interview, go to your local Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack, pay $35-40 for a plain white dress shirt without a button down collar.
Did that today - Nordstrom is having a sale and got two trim fits for 42 bucks a pop.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Ok - thinking I'm going to go with a navy for my second suit. Been shopping around a little and found this on sale: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-hugo-b ... it/3638204

I've also got a $100 Nordstrom gift card, so the suit would basically be ~$450.

My first suit is also a Hugo Boss that I bought about 2 years ago. It's a 38R in the dark grey. It fit me pretty well right off the rack, but I recently lost quite a bit of weight on the waist, so I had to have tailored last month. Now it is super slim, and I really like the look and feel of it. The quality seems good to me, but I admit that I am no expert (at all). Anyway, here's the link to the first suit: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-hugo-b ... it/3080085

Any thoughts? What's the reputation for Hugo Boss suits in the general community? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:23 am

shock259 wrote:Ok - thinking I'm going to go with a navy for my second suit. Been shopping around a little and found this on sale: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-hugo-b ... it/3638204

I've also got a $100 Nordstrom gift card, so the suit would basically be ~$450.

My first suit is also a Hugo Boss that I bought about 2 years ago. It's a 38R in the dark grey. It fit me pretty well right off the rack, but I recently lost quite a bit of weight on the waist, so I had to have tailored last month. Now it is super slim, and I really like the look and feel of it. The quality seems good to me, but I admit that I am no expert (at all). Anyway, here's the link to the first suit: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-hugo-b ... it/3080085

Any thoughts? What's the reputation for Hugo Boss suits in the general community? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!
Boss are decent though usually really overpriced. $550 isn't that bad for one, I like the Hart Shaffner Marx suits better for that price personally, but they are definitely a fuller cut so if you like slimmer it might not be a good choice.
If you live near a Dillards swing by there on your way to Nordstrom, I saw Hickey Freeman suits (not close to my size unfortunately) at my local store last week for $600 after their 50% off sale (not sure if it is still going on), and they are a better quality suit than Boss or the low-end HSM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slayerhn

New

Post by slayerhn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Last edited by slayerhn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm

They're fine, I just the red is a bit bright.

slayerhn

New

Post by slayerhn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

LRGhost wrote:They're fine, I just the red is a bit bright.
Mine are a darker red (I wouldn't call them burgundy or anything, though), was just trying to find the closest thing.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Just bought a Hugo Boss dark blue suit for ~$450! Not bad! And free tailoring on it! I went down to a 36R and it fits nearly perfectly. Just getting a little bit taken out at the waist. I feel like a supreme badass in it. Really happy with this purchase. Also, snagged a bunch of dress shirts for cheap (~$30 each). And socks. And a few ties. Good haul today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 am

FredJones wrote:Anyone have thoughts on JCrew factory suits?

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/ ... _name=navy
I have a few of these. They're a little tighter in the shoulder than I'd like, but are of surprising quality. Haven't had mine tailored, but will probably take the thighs out a bit due to my body type. Other than that, they're perfectly good rotation suits.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Can we go over the rule for overcoats, suits, and color matching? I've googled around a bit but haven't found much info, other than there doesn't really seem to be much of a strict rule.

I have a charcoal suit and a navy suit. And then a lot of different grey trousers for business casual. What color overcoat would be best for my situation? I'm thinking grey or black. Is it ok to wear a grey or black colored overcoat with navy trousers? Are there any other things to consider? Recommendations on places to pick one up?

Thanks!

Edit: No idea on the quality of this, but looks tempting: http://www.jcpenney.com/clearance/50-75 ... 24910C.tif

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm

shock259 wrote:Can we go over the rule for overcoats, suits, and color matching? I've googled around a bit but haven't found much info, other than there doesn't really seem to be much of a strict rule.

I have a charcoal suit and a navy suit. And then a lot of different grey trousers for business casual. What color overcoat would be best for my situation? I'm thinking grey or black. Is it ok to wear a grey or black colored overcoat with navy trousers? Are there any other things to consider? Recommendations on places to pick one up?

Thanks!

Edit: No idea on the quality of this, but looks tempting: http://www.jcpenney.com/clearance/50-75 ... 24910C.tif
I think a grey overcoat matches everything....black has always seemed stodgy/funeralish to me. As always, fit is equally important to color - and is tricky with top coats. I recoomend J-Crew Peacoats, though they're not available in store right now. The quality is good for the price (especially if you can nab it on sale), and the fit is great.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:50 pm

If you're getting a topcoat for a suit, you should get one that's at least 3/4 length. A peacoat over a suit jacket looks whacky. The rest of the advice above is credited though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks guys!

One more: I actually have a black peacoat already. It's wool, in great shape, and fits really well. Unlike most peacoats, it is 3/4 length (comes down to about mid-thigh). Just slightly below my suit jacket. Would this be considered too informal of a coat for a professional setting?

Here's what it looks like: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =932453012

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref ... B00BECI59G

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref ... B00BECI59G
If you're a skinny guy get a j crew Thompson fit from j crew factory; maybe won't be perfect but it'll be way way way better than your current options

Or a ludlow but I'm guessing you want the cheaper option

Those shoes are fine but if I were you I'd rather spend another hundred bucks and get so,me Park Aves

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

The real lesson there is don't buy a suit with an ill-fitting coat. Did you try it on?

As far as the shoes, they'll serve you well. If you're interested in leather soles, though, consider the Cole Haan Caldwell.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1l2016

New

Post by 1l2016 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 am

Are brown shoes with a charcoal suit OCI appropriate? Or should I keep in more conservative and stick with black shoes?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:20 am

1l2016 wrote:Are brown shoes with a charcoal suit OCI appropriate? Or should I keep in more conservative and stick with black shoes?
Why are you asking? Do you not own black shoes? Is OCI tomorrow so that you can't go buy black shoes?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am

1l2016 wrote:Are brown shoes with a charcoal suit OCI appropriate? Or should I keep in more conservative and stick with black shoes?
Just wear black man.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:48 am

PennBull wrote:

If you're a skinny guy get a j crew Thompson fit from j crew factory; maybe won't be perfect but it'll be way way way better than your current options

Or a ludlow but I'm guessing you want the cheaper option

Those shoes are fine but if I were you I'd rather spend another hundred bucks and get so,me Park Aves
So... the black suit is definitely out? Yea i just the sale at nordstrom - im gonna go pick up the park aves: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmon ... origin=pla-- these, right?
Last edited by dkb17xzx on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”