OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronck

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Bronck » Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Bronte wrote:
Bronck wrote:Any suggestions on a good belt <$100? I've heard good things about Martin Dingman belts, any thoughts?

I'm very skinny, should I be aiming for plain-front instead pleat-front pants (or is this just a stylistic thing for the most part)?
Look at Allen Edmonds belts. I have three of them. They're very nice. As to pleats, you'll want to go without them every time.
Thank you! Do you know of any locations that have good sales on Allen Edmonds belts (or something of comparable quality for that matter)? If needed, I could drive an hour or so to a Saks Off 5th / Last Call by Neiman Marcus (and there's a Rack nearby).

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

What is the credited interview padfolio and pen? (srs). Any good ones out there?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What is the credited interview padfolio and pen? (srs). Any good ones out there?

Any black or brown leather padfolio is good (I like black+ yellow legal pad, srs business). Cross pens are suitable and they don't break the bank. Look for a pen that is solid metal, rather than plastic. Shoot for natural materials in your overall wardrobe: leather, metal, wool, cotton, silk, etc.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Where/when to Allen Edmond's Park Avenues usually go on sale? Given all the five star reviews of this shoe on here, I wanna cop a pair before 1L.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 pm

how many shirts are typically good for a summer associate? 5? 1 different one for each of the week?

also, how shirts does a person usually have for oCI? Maybe 3 to rotate around?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Hugo Boss shoes for about $115 to $130. Good deal or not? I dig the way they look.

These:

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

kalvano wrote:Hugo Boss shoes for about $115 to $130. Good deal or not? I dig the way they look.
dude are you trolling. you can't wear those to the office. for one, the tongue has ridges on it. also it looks like the holes where the shoe laces go though are lined with shiny silver. and the shape of the toe looks weird, but that could be the angle its shot at. its just an ugly shoe man. stick with a classic cap toe

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

ruski wrote:
kalvano wrote:Hugo Boss shoes for about $115 to $130. Good deal or not? I dig the way they look.
dude are you trolling. you can't wear those to the office. for one, the tongue has ridges on it. also it looks like the holes where the shoe laces go though are lined with shiny silver. and the shape of the toe looks weird, but that could be the angle its shot at. its just an ugly shoe man. stick with a classic cap toe
That's not the exact shoe, it's just close. I can't find a picture of it, but it doesn't have the eyelet inserts or the tongue.

Most dress shoes I find uncomfortable, these I did not. I just want to know if it's too much to pay.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 pm

would this belt be appropriate if pared with black AE park aves?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/allen-edmon ... tback=2057

I'm just worried it might be a bit too shiny, tho AE Park aves are shinyish too. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm

drbarry987 wrote:would this belt be appropriate if pared with black AE park aves?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/allen-edmon ... tback=2057

I'm just worried it might be a bit too shiny, tho AE Park aves are shinyish too. Thoughts?
I wear that belt with my Park Avenues. The sheen matches well. The shoes are probably slightly more matte, but you don't have to achieve perfect matching. That belt is designed by AE to go with their black dress shoes.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 am

Are these AE's okay for a business formal firm? My other shoes are plain captoes.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat May 05, 2012 1:07 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:Are these AE's okay for a business formal firm? My other shoes are plain captoes.
With the lighter walnut, they'll be louder than other shoes. They would go very nicely with a solid navy suit. I would consider a darker brown, but I'm sure they won't get you no-offered.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Sat May 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Anyone have any idea as to the quality of any of these suits? They're all on sale today.

--LinkRemoved-- (redirects to Amazon)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 3:38 pm

sambeber wrote:Anyone have any idea as to the quality of any of these suits? They're all on sale today.

Oh wow, those are some great prices. I'd also like to know if anyone has any knowledge about these brands

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 pm

So, another shoe question - anything know about To Boot New York? Good quality?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat May 05, 2012 4:42 pm

kalvano wrote:So, another shoe question - anything know about To Boot New York? Good quality?
I am a fan.

BruceDenton

New

Post by BruceDenton » Sat May 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sambeber wrote:Anyone have any idea as to the quality of any of these suits? They're all on sale today.

Oh wow, those are some great prices. I'd also like to know if anyone has any knowledge about these brands
Jones New York is sold at Men's Warehouse if that's any indication of their quality. My first suit was Jones New York (got it junior year in high school) - it was OK; you could probably do much better, but if it fits you well, it's not like you're breaking the bank. Personally though, I would try to get something higher quality (i.e. at least half-canvassed; Jones New York are for sure fused).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat May 05, 2012 4:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:So, another shoe question - anything know about To Boot New York? Good quality?
I am a fan.

They have the Thomas model at Saks for $140.

Essentially this with a cap toe -

Decent deal?

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Sat May 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I love Hart Schaffner & Marx. I have this jacket from them that I found at a huge discount. It looks great and is really long lasting. I plan on getting a suit from them somehow.

EDIT My Nordstrom Rack in Gaithersburg MD has extremely nice suits in the $400 range. They also have conservative Allen Edmonds shoes (very durable with a classy look), To Boot New York, etc.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat May 05, 2012 8:11 pm

went to BB outlet today, disappointed in their BD selection, as well as prices. will probably just stick to the sale items on the BB website. they did have a nice tie deal though, 3 for 80. if you are able to find 3 you like and are makers rather than 346 that becomes a very good deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Hey, I think this may have been discussed, but anyone else using some kind of messenger bag for their SA? I figure I don't have to bring my computer or anything with me, but at the same time, I'd still like to be able to carry my kindle, gym clothes, a magazine, ipod, etc. with me, and assumed some kind of messenger bag would be a good idea.

I was told that I would be getting a real nice business bag/briefcase once I actually graduate, so I'm just gonna be getting something to cover me for this summer, and figured a temporary bag could easily be found for $50 or less. Just checking if people will be using a similar bag, whether you have any recommendations, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 am

BB having a Friends and Family sale now through May 12 - 25% off entire purchases (includes sale items).

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I think this may have been discussed, but anyone else using some kind of messenger bag for their SA? I figure I don't have to bring my computer or anything with me, but at the same time, I'd still like to be able to carry my kindle, gym clothes, a magazine, ipod, etc. with me, and assumed some kind of messenger bag would be a good idea.

I was told that I would be getting a real nice business bag/briefcase once I actually graduate, so I'm just gonna be getting something to cover me for this summer, and figured a temporary bag could easily be found for $50 or less. Just checking if people will be using a similar bag, whether you have any recommendations, etc.
Manhattan Portage is high-quality and pretty much exactly what you seem to be looking for at this price point.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 pm

now you can get an additional 25% off at bb with code FNFBB3 works on clearance as well

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed May 09, 2012 3:47 pm

so what is the consensus on chinos for a business casual dress code? my feeling is that even if they are in bounds, you can't just throw a jacket and tie on with them and all of a sudden become business traditional, can you? i need to buy some more pants but i kinda feel like im better off just getting some more slacks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”